• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Muskie caught on Pelican

This is no B.S. A good friend of mine was on Pelican on Saturday and caught a small muskie on the north end of the lake.OK guys start doubting me if you want but we looked up all the info we could on I.D.ing the fish and it was a muskie.Has anyone ever heard of one or caught one on Pelican before?

No, there are a lot of small to medium pike, but have never heard of a Muskie in the lake. If there are, there are not a lot and I don't think the DNR knows about it. Did your friend release it?

there are supposably a few in ossawinamakee and there is a creek that connects them. but I have never heard of one being caught out there. Last summer I caught 3 smallies out there in one day and they are not supposed to be out there either.

Approximately how big was the fish, and what were the characteristics that indicated it was a muskie?

Im not gonna say that it wasnt a muskie cause I didnt see it. That being said, I dont believe you. I think it was a Northern. However, if it was caught by you then I would say it was a trouser trout. laugh.gif

Quote:

Did your friend release it?

Yes he did.

The fish was about 28" long and had all the characteristics of a muskie,pointed red tail,clear background with barred markings,8 sets of pores under the jaw and the gill covers were scaled on the top half only.

Oh my god! The wallys are finished. The muskie will eat them all. Dont let the guides find this out.

I am sensing a bit of sarcasm. Muskies can change behavior of fish, but really would Muskies or smallmouth really through off the balance of the lake? I would love for Pelican to have tons smallmouth. I would trade them for those crappy rock bass, that I always catch by accident.

smally fishing is a blast. especially with poppers on a fly rod. Would love to have smallys in pelican. Wouldnt have to go to LOW or mille lacs. The river is a hidden smally gem in certain spots. Maybe that muskie would eat a few rockies while he is cruising around. Muskies didnt hurt (Contact Us Please) much the way it looks.

Does anyone know how many Smallies or Muskies are in the lake? I wonder if it is considered "Trace" or if the next DNR survey, will it show up? Lets take a vote on what should be introduced:

Smallies - Yes for me

Muskies - I will pass

I would assume we are talking about Pelican by Breezy Point?

I have caught a ton of small mouth out of that Pelican.

Shack

Are sure those aren't rock bass your catching? In 5 years of pounding Pelican through the ice, open water, watching the camera all winter, snorkeling in the summer, I have never seen a smallie. Rocko's yes, tons of them, but no smallies.

I've heard a number of people say that have caught smallies in Pelican. A few people have made claims that they catch so many out there that they are almost a nuisance. If this was the case, there would be some factual data that shows smallmouth to live in Pelican. Like B420, I have never personally seen this or heard this. The DNR has never come across one either, to my knowledge.

Pelican would make for a great smallmouth AND musky lake. But I doubt either one will ever happen. Too bad.

Aaron

7,9,10 SMB

1,2,3,4,5,6,8 Rockies

Muskies and/or Samallmouth in Pelican would be awesome. I hope it could happen some day, but I'm not holding my breath. smirk.gif

I've lived in the area my whole life and fished Pelican for 16 years. Ive never caught, seen someone catch, or heard of anyone catching a smallmouth out of Pelican. Pelican has been blocked from Ossawinnamakee for around 10 years now. If there is one in there that size I would guess someone put it in there, unless there are some already in there reproducing. I think the fish would be much larger by now if it came from Ossawinnamakee. Anything thing is possible though.

have fished pelican for almost 30 years. Have not caught a single smallie. Have corrected a bunch of people who fish breezy bay and thought they had a smallie, was either a rocky or largemouth. Tons of rockys. The pics say it all, smallies arent even close to a rocky in looks.

The so called musky that the person caught looks like a small musky, but it's a small pike at that age. Many people think they caught a musky when they catch a small pike as I have witnessed in the past!

The true way is to count the number of small holes in the bottom of there jaw as according to the law book regulations. grin.gif

I can vouch for the smallie guy. We had a small money tournament out there 2 years ago and a guy brought in 2 smallmouths and i have personally seen one in there, In the tiny bay between jones bay and lincon's point cruising on the sand. As for the muskie????? Anything is possible. I wish the smallies would take off in there as for the ski's they can keep em..

I really dont know about that tengauge...are you sure that you know the difference between a rocko and smally grin.gif

Quote:

The fish was about 28" long and had all the characteristics of a muskie,pointed red tail,clear background with barred markings,8 sets of pores under the jaw and the gill covers were scaled on the top half only.

Finlander,read all posts and you would have found this out. blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

I caught about a 10" smallmouth out of Pelican 2 years ago. And yes I'm positive it was a smallmouth.

I've caught smallies and musky out of Ossi. Not many, but their in there. With the mississippi near by as well maybe someone dumped out their livewell into Pelican. just a thought...

That only breaks a few laws, transporting live game fish, introducing non native species, culling.....any others. It happens though.

Where are these Smallies being caught on the lake? I have a new mission. Maybe I will get one of those beauties this weekend. Not likely, but it sounds like there is a chance.

Caught mine on that little rocky area just to the left while entering Moose Bay..

That is where I always fish for bass. I will have to keep a lookout.