Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
jerkin'm

Upper St. Croix Camping?

jerkin'm    3
jerkin'm

Never been on the upper St Croix and thinking of a canoe/camping trip...any pointers on a good route? Any other type of info is much appreciated.

marble-eye    0
marble-eye

Do you mean up by Grantsburg? If so then hwy 77 down to Soderbecks landing - 1 1/2 days. I would not go down to hwy 70. The last 3-4 miles is flat, and the wind blows you up river, unless you have a motor. There is a secret (not anymore), campsite right where the clam river drops into the croix. Otherwise Norway point to the Paint mine - 4 hour tour - good fishing.

so haaad    0
so haaad

And if you are talking about the stretch below Taylors Falls, then you can go from Interstate Park landing to Log House Landing in a day. There's plenty of camping along the way.

St. Croix River maps w/camping

Here's another link about camping:

Camping

jerkin'm    3
jerkin'm

I was thinking up the Grantsburg way...Never been on the river before but would like some decent fishing and scenery without a huge crowd...It would be for one night if that helps..I will check out the map for your suggested route..It will be a husbands AND wives trip so a combo of fishing and sights would be ideal..thanks for the tips..Any low water concerns for late July?

minndonn    0
minndonn

From Danbury Wi where Hwy 48 crosses east of Hinckley is a good spot to start. Also canoe rental and shuttle in St Croix Park can give you time information and shuttle your canoes. This DNR address will give you information about the upper St Croix. Another good starting point is on the Kettle river which flows into the St Croix in St Croix State Park. Good fishing in both rivers. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/canoeing/stcroixriver/index.html

marble-eye    0
marble-eye

As low as the water is this year - Yes you will be scraping rocks. The section from Norway Point to Soderbecks has the fastest water, and better fishing, especially around Norway. Pitch crayfish shads, twister tails, and gold raps along the shoreline. Don't forget the crawlers and bells, for some night fishing for the gals.

jerkin'm    3
jerkin'm

I really appreciate the info...Looks like I may need to rent a couple canoes...Anyone have a recommendation for a rental/shuttle outfit?

DetectDave    0
DetectDave

Just a heads up that I think new regs as far as camping goes requires that you tote in porta toilets as they have some new regs concerning that. Correct me if I'm wromg you guys.

marble-eye    0
marble-eye

I read about the new regs on camping - 100+ pages. Lots of nothingness. I provided my comments about the camping regs, with the DNR, and they responded with a can reply. And you know how the government works. Maybe this year, maybe not. Who knows. But I do know that section of the river will be the first to start with. I think it is a 3 to 4 year deal. There are some weird rules that they are proposing. It felt like the rules were made by persons that do not camp.

thistlekicker    0
thistlekicker

Quote:

Just a heads up that I think new regs as far as camping goes requires that you tote in porta toilets as they have some new regs concerning that. Correct me if I'm wromg you guys.

I believe that proposal would only relate to camping "at large" that is NOT at established campsites which have latrines. I don't have experience with portable latrines but can appreciate the concern for sanitary waste disposal along the river.

If latrines are not used it needs to be buried >6" deep at least 200 feet from water. In the backcountry I've seen way too many cases where people apparently are ignorant or don't care.

thistlekicker    0
thistlekicker

Quote:

I was thinking up the Grantsburg way...Never been on the river before but would like some decent fishing and scenery without a huge crowd...It would be for one night if that helps..I will check out the map for your suggested route..It will be a husbands AND wives trip so a combo of fishing and sights would be ideal..thanks for the tips..Any low water concerns for late July?

river levels & descriptions for the entire Riverway here:

http://www.nps.gov/sacn/planyourvisit/riverlevels.htm

Norway Point gage:www.mvpwc.usace.army.mil/dcp/GTBW3.html

it's read about 3.6 feet the past few days.

Interpretation of gauge readings:

Depth in Feet Canoe and Kayaking Conditions

Below 4.4: Conditions are challenging. Avoid Kettle River Slough Channel - stay on Wisconsin side. Too shallow for small motors above Paint Mine Campsite. Canoeing from Riverside Landing to Nelson's Landing is good. Nelson's Landing to Soderbeck Landing is challenging with many exposed obstacles. Some walking may be required.

4.4-8: Conditions are good with Class II rapids between Nelsons Landing and Soderbeck Landing.

8-10: Conditions are excellent with Class II rapids between Nelsons Landing and Soderbeck Landing.

10-12: Rapids between Nelson Landing and Soderbeck Landing are approaching Class III conditions. This is considered flood stage, and some landings will be flooded.

12 feet & up Expect Class III rapids between Nelsons Landing and Soderbeck Landing, especially at the confluence of the Kettle River.

thistlekicker    0
thistlekicker

Quote:

I really appreciate the info...Looks like I may need to rent a couple canoes...Anyone have a recommendation for a rental/shuttle outfit?

check the rental places in Danbury & Grantsburg

Also, campsites between Riverside & Nelson's are limited; NPS suggests making arrangements at St Croix State Park if your trip falls during the busy season.

This has been an issue for me in the past, on other parts of the St Croix / Namekagon system. Riverside campsites are 1st Come 1st Served and there is no regulation of the number of campers/parties on the river for a given day. At the State Park you can make reservations.

minndonn    0
minndonn

You can rent canoes in Danbury and in St Croix State Park. Recomend calling if you aregoing during the week and make an appointment instead of just showing up.

thistlekicker    0
thistlekicker

paddled the upper river from Thayer's to HW70 this past weekend. Water levels were very low, lots of scraping and getting out to walk through the "big island" runs and other places. If the river gets much lower, I might not recommend this run.

the river seemed fairly busy, and it was difficult to find a campsite through some stretches.

Fishing was decent, lots of small to medium bronzebacks.