Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
terrible_fisherman

Jigging Question

2 posts in this topic

I have read quite a bit on jigging for eyes and it seems like an easy concept but I am very unsuccessful. I was out on Rice on opener jigged with a 1/4 jig hooked with a shiner through the lips. Jigged a few areas, some trolling slowly, some drifting at varying speeds, and a little bit anchored and just flipping the jig out. During that time I picked up one 16 inch walleye and nada else.

I am just curious if anybody has any tips of jigging for the critters. Are you typically dragging the jig along the bottom, doing some fashion of a lift and drop, and just trying to keep the jig constantly moving but within a foot or so of the bottom? Also, what speed are you typically trolling or drifting at using this style of fishing? Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

I personally am a jig fishing fanatic and let me tell you there really is no wrong way to fish one. I personally let the water temps and the fish dicktate how I jig. Some of the styles of jigging are to drag,pitch,hop,hover etc. Right now I personally have been useing small hops off of the bottom and pitching shorelines with success, Shallow water has been the key!!!

As far as Rice I would use fatheads and move real slow out there now. I back troll and hover over the pods of fish with a light lift as a technique. Once the water warms I will start pitching new emerging weedlines. I also will incoperate a little more agressive technique as in rip-jigging.