• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

patching a pontoon float

tanglemaster

Question

i bought a pontoon for 400 bucks and on the right side it has a couple of holes on the bottom of the float looks like someone took a 1/2 drill bit and drilled holes in it any one got tips for what i should use to patch it

18 answers to this question

Find someone who welds aluminum and have him put a patch over it or weld each hole shut...

marine_man

Marine_Man method is the best way but if you want to try something cheap before that route find some JB weld. It might work for ya.

I'd stick with Marine Man's method. The patches won't look great, but they will work the best It shouldn't cost you a lot of money. Make sure they use a patch though, and not try to fill in the hole. That probably won't hold for long. In my opinion filling in the holes would be like asking for cracks from the fill area and the heat affected zone around it.

its not aluminium its steel, and yeah there is a little rust

If it's steel it's no big deal.

Weld a patch over it and you're good to go.

HTS-735 II is a "Second Generation" fluxless low-heat brazing rod for nonferrous metals. HTS-735 II will successfully join all aluminum alloys, including those that are not successfully joined by high temperature brazing. When drawn over heated aluminum, HTS-735 II penetrates the aluminum oxide creating a bond that is stronger than the original commercial aluminum. The electrode potential between HTS-735 II and aluminum is so slight that electrochemical corrosion is never a problem. HTS-735 II joints will last permanently in normal or protected environments. They have lasted 10+ years under severe conditions.

Quote:

its steel

Yep, put a patch on it then.

marine_man

Quote:

its not aluminium its steel, and yeah there is a little rust

If it's steel there's not much you can do, the rust already eaten part of the steel, you'll probably not be able to weld.

Only solution is foam fill, hoping the pontoon has separate chambers and won't take much foam.

I had a steel pontoon,tried welding,kept cutting back to solid metal to weld, every patch I found new pin holes,Thats why I said lost cause!But I never thought of foam filling my floats were no seperate chambers but they had baffles to limit water sloshing,they'take lots of foam!Valv what kind of foam would'nt absorbe water?

Just a word of warning. Make sure you seal that float. My sister and dad went out on a pontoon boat that had one float take on some water over time and when a couple people walked to the front, the weight shift caused the water in the pontoon float to rush to the front and it caused the whole thing to barrel roll. One person was trapped underneath and they barely got her out in time. It was an older pontoon that didn't have any sort of baffle system in the floats. Many years ago on Big Cormorant by DL.

You can also try Waterweld, an epoxy putty that seals hols and cracks, Walmart has it or also any auto parts store they have rolls of WeldIt epoxy.

Foam is very expensive, any marine shop can do it or you can try to find it online

It's "closed cell" foam, so it won't absorb water.

You juigh have to "braze" instead of welding, it takes an experienced welder to work with such a thin material.

Did you ever fix your pontoon? I got a steel one for free three years ago and had a hole this July and plugged it with JB weld. Labor day it had water in again and we found four small holes. I think I need to go the foam route to repair it or look for an aluminum one.

Wow I searched the Internet and the foam is expensive. Maybe $500 or more to fill both tubes on a 28 foot pontoon. It is looking like it will be scrap. Hope someone has some ideas.

If it's aluminum, I would collaborate with everyone you know and try to find a young fella that works at an airplane FBO(service shop). Specifically, one that specializes in airframe work, i.e., aluminum repair. They will have the tools and the know how to fix the damage on your pontoon, even if it is an irregular shaped surface. I think you'll find it difficult to get the actual repair shop to work on it, but try to get in the backdoor by way of an employee that would do it on the side for some beer or such. HeHe! Heck, if I were closer to you, I would do it myself, but your gonna have to go this one alone! Good luck.

Mine is steel. Aluminum I would repair in a second. Of course if mine was aluminum it would not have rusted through and would not need repairing.