• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

sold boat/trailer question

Ok, so I sold my boat (and trailer) and am trying to get the paperwork together for the buyer. I have a question regarding the trailer. I purchased the boat new in MN, and I got a "permanent registration" sticker for the trailer. Is that all the paperwork I have for the trailer? I know I don't have a title for it, but is there no paper to go along with the "permanent registration" sticker? So I guess I just make up a bill of sale for the buyer and include both the boat and the trailer?

There is a form that you fill out at the DMV I forget the form number but they will be able to give it to you. I think all it requires is the lifetime sticker number and your signature. It is pretty simple... Well should be.

Good Luck!

I have another question on this topic. If you sell a trailer with a lifetime license, does the buyer have to pay for a new license???

No new license fee, only a transfer fee wich I think is $15.

I'm picking up a used boat/trailer today. I believe the boat is currently registered in WI, the trailer is new - not sure if it has MN lifetime sticker or not.

What paperwork/information do I need to make sure I receive from the seller? I was going to draw up a bill of sale but I assume I need more than that to register it?

You need the title to register. If the seller doesn't have it, they need to get it. I would recomend not paying all the money for the boat until you have title in had. I had a hard time from the guy a bought a boat from last year, took a month to get the title. The second boat I bought the guy (and FMer) had title in hand and was smooth. You have to pay a transfer fee for the trailer and lets not forget about taxes, taxes and more taxes.

I do beleive that the trailer will have a title that you will need to transfer. I know mine did when I bought my boat. I know mine was a pain a$$ because I bought it from a guy who never transfered it to his name so I had to go back to the previous owner for signatures. What fun that was!

The boat may or may not have a title, it depends on age and size; most boats over 16' will have a title.

All trailers need to be titled; even home made trailers need to have a title to legally transfer ownership in MN.

The boat is a 14' 1974 Starcraft so I don't know what kind of paperwork he's going to have.

As some have stated, I just bought a used boat 16' Aluminum.

The trailer and boat each had a title...they ask you how much the trailer is worth...I just said $100.00 (had to pay tax on that).

When they pulled up the Serial# on the trailer, they said it had a lifetime license which just transfers.

Make sure you have title, if there is one or else they won't do anything for you. Then you have to go and get the title, and the seller has to find it...could take a long time.

I went to MN DVS today. They looked up my trailer. It does not have a title. It does have a lifetime registration, which is simply the sticker on the trailer. There is no paperwork. They suggested to have the out-of-state DVS look at something called a "Polk Book" which has the rules of all the states and their requirements as far as registration, titles, etc. Other than that, there isn't really much they can do to create more paperwork for my buyer...

I bought a new boat this year. Today I got the card from the State of MN for the 2007 trailer. On the back of the card is form for the seller to sign off to the buyer when the trailer is sold. So you should get something from the seller.

Also the above advice about getting all the paperwork is right on. One of my fishing buddies bought an out-of-town boat. We went about a 100 miles to pick it up. When we got there the guy could not find the tittle so he paid him and we left with a promise that he would send the title in a day or so. The guy was a well known fishing personality so we trusted him.

My buddy had taken a temporary loan on credit line from his credit card company for about $20K with an intrest rate of about 20% or about $250 per month intrest. He was going to refinance at his bank within the week. He went to the bank and they were willing to give him a loan @ 6% but they needed the title. Since his finances were stretched a little thin he needed to use the boat to guarantee the loan.

Well the seller didn't send the title and after about 10 phone calls and 1 month later he finally called back saying he had been traveling and hadn't had time to get the title from his dad who was the owner of boat, a fact he had negelected to tell us about when the deal was made. This dragged on for about 3 months when my buddy finally called the guy and pleaded with him to get the title. This might sound hard to believe, but the guy told him the his dad had died unexpectantly and he did not find the title when he cleaned out his dad's house. He told my buddy that it must be in his safety deposit box, but he did not have access to it because the bank locked it and he did not have power of attorney. Three more months went by before the estate was settled and the title was released and sent to my buddy. All this cost him about $1,500 in extra intrest.

So make sure you get your paper work before you take a boat and pay for it.

Another thing you want to do is make sure they transfer the boat and trailer into their name. I would meet them (with the boat) at a DMV office to make sure that it is. I sold a boat a few years ago and had just put a new license on it just before I sold it. I told them to make sure to transfer the boat into their name and they promised they would. Well 3 years later I got a license renewal notice in the mail for that boat, which I thought was strange. Then a week or two later, the buyer called and asked if I had the renewal card for the boat,which I told them I did. I chewed their butt out for not transfering it 3 years earlier and then sent it to them. I learned my lesson after that, not to trust anyone when it comes to selling stuff that involves titles. Evidently they wanted to use up the license I bought for it first. If something would have happened involving that boat, it would have been my butt on the line.

Sounds like a good idea meeting them at the DMV but I'm a bit confused - I thought the boat licensing was done at the DNR and the trailer stuff was done at the DMV? Could someone clarify this for me? I picked up the my new boat/trailer yesterday and now I'm putting the old one up for sale. Would be nice to take care of the new registration as well as transferring off the old one at the same time.

Nope the DMV takes care of it all and I agree with Splash best thing to do is to go right to the DMV with them so you know it gets done right away. I been in that position also where they did not transfer right away and then years later unfortunately the guy passed away and his widow contacted me asking why I owned the boat he had been using for so long? What a mess, I learned my lesson.

Lynn J

If this helps....

Titling: Certain boats in Minnesota must be titled. A title is proof of ownership which becomes very important when buying and selling a boat. It can also aid enforcement officers in the recovery of watercraft. If your boat matches any of the descriptions below, it DOES NOT need to be titled:

Is registered in another state and is never used in Minnesota for over 90 days at a time

Was manufactured before August 1, 1979

Is 16 feet in length or less

Is a rowboat with oar locks and an outboard motor rating of less than 40 horsepower (hp)

Is a canoe, kayak, ship’s lifeboat or seaplane

Is documented with the U.S. Coast Guard

Is owned by a manufacturer or dealer and is held for sale

Is used by a manufacturer for testing purposes only

Is a duck boat used only in season for duck hunting

Is a rice boat used only in season for ricing

Is owned by a resort or recreational camping area which is licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health

Is a rowing shell or scull (not an ordinary rowboat)

Is owned by the United States, the state of Minnesota or other state, or a political subdivision.

Becareful, the rules don't alway's apply. The (Contact Us Please)'s at Hoot's marine titled my 16' rowboat with a 25hp max rating. With MN registration, it say's in the upper right hand corner of the registration card that you carry with you in the boat.

If you sell ANYTHING with a title or proof of ownership like registration and going to the DMV is not done at the time of the sale, go to the DMV as soon as possible with ALL the information about the buyer. Inform the DMV that the item has been sold to said buyer.

Quote:

Another thing you want to do is make sure they transfer the boat and trailer into their name. I would meet them (with the boat) at a DMV office to make sure that it is. I sold a boat a few years ago and had just put a new license on it just before I sold it. I told them to make sure to transfer the boat into their name and they promised they would. Well 3 years later I got a license renewal notice in the mail for that boat, which I thought was strange. Then a week or two later, the buyer called and asked if I had the renewal card for the boat,which I told them I did. I chewed their butt out for not transfering it 3 years earlier and then sent it to them. I learned my lesson after that, not to trust anyone when it comes to selling stuff that involves titles. Evidently they wanted to use up the license I bought for it first. If something would have happened involving that boat, it would have been my butt on the line.

Your just too nice, there is no way at all I would have sent it to them. All they would have had to do is take it to the DMV and get a new one without having to change anything. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in your name!