• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Birch Lake report near Babbitt?

Just wondering if anybody has had any luck on Birch lake this year? Whats the hot bait and depth? Im going up for a housboat trip this memorial weekend. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Kyle

I know a couple who went last weekend and did pretty good but nothing real big just good! eaters.

Thanks for the info ripstick, did you happen to hear what there using up there at this time of year for eyes and big pike?

Fish Slayer, my family and I camp out up on Birch every Memorial Day. The old standbys are 1/8 oz. jigs and rainbows, slip bobbers on reefs and lindys on the sand. Low light I usually work 6-10 and then move down during daylight to 10-18. Fish the areas where the wind is blowing into. For pike I use my Grandfather's bait of choice in the spring strip-on sucker minnows trolled shallow mid-morning.

Good luck during your trip!!!

Big Tom,

I've never fished Birch in open water...always with ice. I too am coming up in a week or two for the green toothies. You use a live sucker minnow under a bobber..is that correct? I believe we'll be on the Kramer Point end of the lake...do you have any advice on lures/techniques?

Doop, a strip-on is like an inline spinner. It has a spinner attached to a wire that is inserted into the suckers mouth and fed through until it comes out the other end blush.gif. You then attach a double hook through the loop at the end of the wire that just came out. They are made to be trolled. Easiest thing might be to go to your local tackle store and ask them for a strip-on. The most common size is the right length for a 4-5 inch sucker.

Ditto to big tom....Other than a few reefs...birch is mainly a point lake. try the current up by the kawishiwi river inlets and any major points you drive by. A guy can work the old creek channel too if you can find it.

Thanks guys for answering some of my questions I really appreciate it. Now I just have to hope for some nice weather, as of right now it aint looking good. Maybe the fish will be biting I can handle a little rain if the eyes and pike keeping pulling on my line. Good luck to you guys when your out on the water.

Good Luck to you Kyle. Make sure you bring the lighted bobbers for off the houseboat at night. One year on a houseboat trip on Rainy, we didn't fish much during the day as the fishing was so good off the boat at night and in the morning.

Fish Slayer,

I'm not sure what day or days we are going to be on Birch...but if I can make it up there when you're there...i'll stop by the boathouse and introduce myself! Report back and let us know how you did! Hope to see you on the water!

Doop and Big Tom, Feel free to stop by if you see one of the two red Kinsey houseboats me and my gang will be on. I will be up there thursday - monday just ask for Kyle. If I dont run into ya good luck this weekend.

anyone ever been there during late june? that's when i'm heading up there again this year...caught a couple of northerns and walleyes last year...but no smallies...anyone have any tips on where they might be on this particular lake?

It would be great to hear some reports on birch. I'm heading up thursday for a long weekend, Hope the weather warms up a little. We fish mainly for walleye and smallies. It would be nice to here what deepth-bait-and time of day was best for you guys. I hope you all had a great weekend!!

Hey guys Im back from my journey on Birch, and the weather made the bite a little slow. I did catch enough fish to keep me satisfied though. I caught most of the walleyes in 4 to 10 feet of water and it seemed like crawlers and leeches were the most consistent option for bait on harnesses. I also caught a few smallies all off of points up in the shallows. The pike were all small that I caught but they seemed to be hitting pretty well. I would have to say the most consisent spot on the lake for me was where the rivers come into the lake. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Kyle

Sound like a good time slayer...what did you use to target them smallies..? also did you do any night time fishing and what type of techniques did you find work the best for you out there with the leeches and crawlers...i got two more weeks then it's my turn up there.

I've been up to Birch about 5 times this year, only second year of fishing birch. Had great luck on opener but not so good lately. Had been using jig and minnow in 12-18ft but may need to consider crawlers and leeches now. Last few times was very windy also.

I'm heading up next week, june 9th, to stay at Timberbay Resort for a week. Never fished Birch before, but looking forward to trying. I'll keep an eye on this thread until then to get as many tips as I can find. So, please keep the updates coming! cool.gif

I just got back, the water level must have came up 4 inches over th weekend. Smallies were a little slow and the walleyes didn't start to bite untill saturday,but they bite all day long from noon till 2:30 we keeped 10 nice eyes fishing off the island we were camped on and later that night we keeped 8 more for our limit. leeches and crawlers in 8-12 feet with bobbers.

Thanks for the information. I am taking my 6 and 8 year old boys on their first "real" fishing trip next week on Birch Lake. I haven't fished it in almost 18 years, but just move back to MN and can't wait! My boys are diehards but, if I really need to catch some fish, crappies, whatever, do you have any tips? Back in the day I caught a lot of small northerns on shiners in a secluded bay, so right now that is the plan if walleyes are slow.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Quote:

The harder you work, the luckier you get!

Check in with Theresa Miller at Just Bite Me Bait in Babbitt before you hit the lake. It's right next to the Short Stop. She knows her onions.