• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trailer repair for 2 piece wheel rim

daveyred

Question

I have a old boat trailer that has a 2 piece wheel hub. In between the 2 pieces of the hub is a metal shim for a lack of better word. It is a piece of metal tubing that helps the 2 pieces of the hub keep the proper distance from each other. That piece is bent. What is the possibility of finding that piece.

I have looked into converting the wheels into a 4 or 5 stud wheel but have not had luck finding the proper kit. I have also looked at just changing the axle but there seems to be a lot welding and changing the trailer format.

Thanks for your time. Dave

2 answers to this question

I would try wright tire in anoka. Talk to jason or steve. Those guys love that old stuff and will set you up. I know once you get wheel and tire combo back on trailer, you want to spin and adjust tire so there is no hopp. If their is hopp, loosen stud bolts and spin tire on hub shims. It may take a couple of tries, but your tires will wear out right away if you do not get centered on hub. You can not balance that kind of tire. I have tried and it does not work. Just got done beeting a track tire on my Bob cat. It took over 2 1/2 hours. You have to stretch track and bang rim on to studs. It sucked. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I might have gotten it fixed tonight. I took that piece and slide it over an aluimum (SP) baseball bat and tapped it down the shaft with a rubber mallet until it trued up. Once I got it rounded again I put a new tube in it and put it together. Seems to be Ok but will find out Sunday when I take her for a spin. So if anyone notices my white boat being towed behind a green toyota broke down on the side of the road spot and help a fello fisherman out.