• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help For Family of Mississippi River Drowning Victims

Hey guys, I'm sure we've all heard about the boat that sank at the Dresbach Dam on the Mississippi River between Winona and LaCrosse, the family who drowned had 6 surviving children, and neither had life insurance, so I thought I should post this

How to help

Funds at two banks have been set up to assist the six surviving children of missing St. Paul boaters Cha Kong Yang and See Her. Neither parent had life insurance.

State Bank: Donations are being accepted at all locations. Checks can be made out to Cha Yang and See Her Family Fund and sent to State Bank, 401 Main St., La Crosse, WI 54601. For more information, call (608)784-4600.

Merchants Bank: Donations are being accepted at all locations. Checks can be made out to the Cha Yang and See Her Memorial Fund to Merchants Bank, 3140 Market Place, Onalaska, WI 54650. For more information, call (608) 779-8200.

It is a shame this happened! I have been think of heading down their to help. I helped a couple of nights looking for Thorne Bro's owner. I heard one victum was found this afternoon. I think I could find an extra $50.00 to donate. I do not care what creed or race, we are all fisherman and get in trouble at one time or another. I have life Insurance, because I have hobbies that could end up in my harm in a very worse case (Like fishing Miss. in spring). All it takes is a sudden something or another and in you go. Thanks for the info.

Thats what I was thinking, my Wife is dropping a check off on her way to work tomorrow, I too have a life insurance policy, mainly because of what I do for a living, but a lot of people don't. I fish that spot pretty often, and like fishing below any dam, there's backcurrent. What if all of a sudden your outboard wouldn't start, and your trolling motor didn't work, maybe a bad connection, or you forgot to charge your batteries, and now you helplessly drift towards the dam. It could have been any one of us.

this is jsut sad frown.gif it makes one think long and hard about your family and what they would have to endure if this ever happened to you. I personally don't have life insurance but after reading this i am going to make it a priority to get it..i will also be sending a check to help these children out in these hard times..i drive semi across the lower 48 states so this is the first i heard about this...i feel for these children, i do know what it is like to lose 1 parent but to lose them both in the same day and way i can't even imagine how or what i would feel

if you ever meet with a financial advisor one of the first things they will tell you to do is get life insurance and also get long term disability insurance. Everyone needs both of them.

Its a sad story for sure. I hope they can find all the bodies so that family can have the closure they need.

Quote:

if you ever meet with a financial advisor one of the first things they will tell you to do is get life insurance and also get long term disability insurance. Everyone needs both of them.

It's a sad, sad story. Update on this looks like they found 3 out of the 4 people. The engineers kept opening and closing the lock and dams and I think that finally made the bodys move out instead of tumbling around in the currents. My prayers goes out to the family.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.