Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dexter

Looking for recommended boat to fish the St. Croix.

8 posts in this topic

I am new to the stillwater area and would like to fish the St. Croix. I am looking for recommendations on the type of boat to purchase for river fishing (tiller, console, fiberglass, aluminum, length, width, hp, ...). I would like to keep the price down without giving up fishability. I don't need the latest and greatest; just safety, durability and fishability.

Well, whatever will float will work on the river. A reliable motor is key too. Ya see a bit of everything out there so it comes down to personal preference and budget. For me summer weekend days are out of the question no matter how big of a boat I have. It gets mad crazy out there.

i have a 17' deep v with a side console with a 90 horse. bow mount 55lb thrust trolling motor

not too big, not too small.

I agree with Stratosman. fish early on the weekends before the cruiser hatch. this typically occurs 11AM sharp every Saturday and Sunday during the Summer.

The hatch has occurred early this year due to warm temps.

Yep, I avoid the river pretty much all weekend, with the exception of maybe Sunday evenings. I like to get out early on Mondays since I don't work that day. I have a Tracker Pro-Guide 16ft with a 50hp motor and a 40lb thrust trolling motor and it works for me. The big pleasure cruisers are what you need to watch out for....even if they have the whole river it seems like they feel it's necessary to come within 10-15 ft of a guy out there fishing and minding his own business! confused.gif Good luck on your decision.

Hey Dexter,

Welcome!! smile.gif

It kinda boils down to this: If you want or like to fish the upper Croix north of Stillwater, you'll want a boat that will run well in shallow water. If you will be fishing from Stillwater down, you can go with a bigger boat because you won't have to worry about bottoming out like you do north of there!

Go with Alunimum if possible.

If it may be both upper & lower, I'd get a boat no bigger than 17', maybe a 40 hp & for sure a good sized trolling motor to manuever & be nimble in the Eddy areas. You DON'T wanna be sucked into a bridge piling or an or a shoreline, shocked.gif because you'll almost for sure be fishing around them !!!! grin.gif

reliable, Reliable, RELIABLE!! You need reliability!

I agree. I fish mostly north of St. Croix Falls and you need something shallow running like a jon boat or shallow drafted aluminum for sure.

Fisherman for lifetime,

You sound fairly knowlegable on fishing the Croix. When you say a "shallow water" boat for north of Stillwater, do mean a flat bottom boat? How shallow does it get? I do have yonger kids... I'm not big on fighting the crowds so north of Stillwater is appealing to me, where do you access the river? Would you recommend an tiller or console? Thanks for your input...

You can only go up a bit because of the checkpoint for zebra messels. To go north further, you have to trailer it up and back. That's where it can get really shallow, a foot or two. Just out from the Stillwater public launch it can get really shallow if you're not with in the buoys....

If you're not going to trailer north, a good 16-18' Al. boat would be great. Tiller or console would be just personal preference - I have a console. The only big crowds are the pleasure boat hatches - 11am ish.....

Have fun, keep in touch!