• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello all,

Wondering how everyone has done so far this year?

We started on a small lake opening morning. Did not do so well and caught one eye in 3 hours. We moved to Potato and caught 11 more the second half of Saturday. However, on Sunday, back on Potato, my buddy and I boated 21 eyes, 6 northerns, and 5 beautiful smallmouth on Spot tails. We also had at least 7 eyes get off next to the boat, not to mention the several bites we didnt connect on. The best fishing was between 12-2pm (believe it or not). The key depths were 5'to 8'.

I had one stretch, midday,where I boated 3 eyes and and 19.5" smallmouth in a 10 minute span. Sunday was a real hoot!

I can't wait to get back up there this weekend tongue.gif

We fished the West arm of Potato on Sat morning and only caught one eye and a couple of small perch. I didn't even see another eye caught in any of the other boats around us. You must have been on the main lake. We caught the eye on a leech in 12' of water. Eagle was nicer to us. We spent the miday looking for crappies in the shallows. I guess we should have been walleye fishing.

Nels

Nels,

We started in the West Arm on Saturday, but we could not pick up anything, nor did we see many being caught (2 I think). You are correct in assuming the main lake was where our action was at.

Are you going out this weekend? We should be out on Saturday and Sunday morning. I am pretty sure that we are going to Potato on Saturday, but we may jump over to Fish Hook or Eagle at sometime.

If you do, good luck.

Fathead - were you fishing in a Lund? Black/Gray..

My bud said he talked to you guys at Northern Bait restockin on shinners. We were in the north arm all morning got 1. Moved out in front of the Pines and got 10 including a 27 incher. We ended our season the weekend before Thanksgiving out there with some nice fish. Gonna have to spend somemore time on Tato I think smile.gif!!

Hook,

Yes, I am pretty sure that was us your buddy spoke to. If I remember correctly, he has a place on Fish Hook?

When you say "Pines", are you talking the resort?

If you are out this weekend and see us, stop by and say hello.

Good luck

Fathead- I didn't make it out Saturday. Did the cold front impact the fishing? Did ya make it out on Fishook? Were gonna try it tonight. Glad I didn't put away the Carhartt Extremes yet..

Fathead- Sorry i did'nt answer earlier. Out in front Potato Lake Lodge - to the point going in to the West arm. Mid-day was the best.

Hook,

So how did you do this weekend? We didnt do very well on Saturday. We managed to boat two fish in about 4 hours of fishing.

Sunday was better. My buddy and I caught 12 nice eyes. Creek Chubs and leeches were the most productive. I couldnt get anything going on Spot tails, I think that bite might be done? Who knows.

I will be back up there Thursday morning with my six year old son to make another run at em.

Fathead - we made it out Sunday night for a few hrs. Did'nt expect much with that front that came through, only one other boat out there smile.gif. We ended up gettin 10 wallies. 25 was the biggest. All 3 live baits were working for us. The Carhartt's felt gooood!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.