• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

fishing for walleyes during the day

I just started fishing the river for walleyes last fall, I always fished in the evening right before dark. Do they bite during the day very much on the river? thanks

Quote:

If you can find em, you can catch em.

yep...what he said...I have caught more walleyes at different times of the day on the river than any lake.

My personal experience has been -- the typical 'slow times' for lakes are hot on the river. I have boated more walleyes from noon to 3 p.m. on the river in one season than I have in 20 years on lakes. The river is less predictable in my mind, you never know when you will hit the mother load.

river eyes seem to stay active caught and released a 27" 6:15 this morning. Also was visited by the CO had a very pleasant conversation with him.

ok second question, I have been fishing a couple creek mouths, but what else can you look for when shore fishing? Tried last night, but both creeks I know of were already taken by other fisherman. What do you look for besides the creek inlets?? I went out Wed. for the first time this year and caught an 18 in. walleye by a creek with no moving water, was that just luck or will they hang around the creek mouth even if the water isnt flowing? thanks a lot for any info.

look for points, areas of gravel bottom, areas that show current break from structure in the water such as rapids. also if you notice baitfish in the water.

Sheephead;Have ya tried where Hawk enters? downstream in the park right below the pavilion down side of big rocks?

yeah but the river so high over there right now, water is up to the trees so there isnt any room to fish until the water level drops

I was there last month I thought it was lower by now!The USGS charts show its gone down quite a bit since.So now I know I'll wait a while,Was thinkin to put camper on and catfish a couple nights I'll wait another week or two.If ya get there let me know water levels OK Thanks!!If your there did you try right in Hawk???if not try!

you said downstream in the park by big rocks? not sure where exactly that is, are you talking about the area across the road west of skalbekken? that is where it enters but I dont know of any big rocks anywhere near there. but I drove through there today, it is still almost as high as it was a month ago, hawk creek is at least 50 feet wide yet.

Right in Skalbaken behind the picnic pavilion,down the hill.If its as high as when I was there last you cant see the rocks there underwater,Its all riprap put in by armycorp. There should be eyes in Hawk if its that big lots a snags!!Behind the pavilion is probably not worth it you'd need 3OZ weight to hit bottom, after it goes down you'll see a nice eddy bout 8-15ft. deep.good flat spot but gettin down in the dark is not my bag!