Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Overwelmed

12 posts in this topic

I've never been up to LOW, but it seems like everybody has great things to say about it. I have a 16' Alumacraft & 50hp motor. The lake looks huge! And you know the fish always bite on the opposite side of the lake! Is there any place I can fish on this huge lake in my rig without risking life & limb?

you can fish 4 mile bay, or out to the gap, early in the year the fish will be close to shore, or all along pine island, if its windy the lake turns to coffee then its back to the river.

WIWF, I fished LOW many years in a 16' Lund Rebel & a 25 HP Yammie. Watch the wind forecast, I always waited for any SW-S-SE 5-15 mph wind forecast and we did just fine, fished mostly Buffalo Bay, but also went out of the Warroad public access many times and Rocky Point. On certain calm days fished Garden Island, 16 Mile, lots of fun to be had on the Pond, hope you make it out.

Quote:

WIWF, I fished LOW many years in a 16' Lund Rebel & a 25 HP Yammie. Whatch the wind forecast, I always waited for any SW-S-SE 5-15 mph wind forecast and we did just fine, fished mostly Buffalo Bay, but also went out of the Warroad public access many times and Rocky Point. On certain calm days fished Garden Island, 16 Mile, lots of fun to be had on the Pond, hope you make it out.

I fish a lot on Lake Superior with a 16 1/2 foot Navigator alot. I suppose LOTW would be no different.

There lots of places to fish along the south shore. If you go in June this can be fantastic. If you don't know where to go, ask the resorts and look for the boats. Have fun, there are lots of things to do up there if it does get to rough on the water.

Quote:

There lots of places to fish along the south shore. If you go in June this can be fantastic. If you don't know where to go, ask the resorts and look for the boats. Have fun, there are lots of things to do up there if it does get to rough on the water.

How big are the boats that the resorts rent out. They don't seem that big

Quote:

Quote:

How big are the boats that the resorts rent out. They don't seem that big

The only boats I have seen are the charter boats

A few of the resorts rent 16 foot V hull utility boats with 15 or 25 hp outboards on them.

fiskyknut

Your boat will work fine if you watch the weather and drive sensibly. I fished out of a 17" HishHawk for years, which is not a huge boat, and it was fine as long as I didn't drive crazy.

later,

toddb

The first few years that we were up on The Woods we had old 16 Foot Fishing Machines with 50hp's on them. We would make our all through the Big Narrows, French Portage, Skeet Island, Ptarmigan Bay, Portage Bay and Monument Bay. Like was stated above, just keep your eyes on the weather and be smart about it. The lake can and will rear its ugly head every so often, but most of the time, it is just the ultimate fishing location.cool.gif Get up there, you won't be sorry.

Quote:

The first few years that we were up on The Woods we had old 16 Foot Fishing Machines with 50hp's on them. We would make our all through the Big Narrows, French Portage, Skeet Island, Ptarmigan Bay, Portage Bay and Monument Bay. Like was stated above, just keep your eyes on the weather and be smart about it. The lake can and will rear its ugly head every so often, but most of the time, it is just the ultimate fishing location.
cool.gif
Get up there, you won't be sorry.

It's like Lake Superior. Most of the time you can fish it but there are those few times that a big Nor'easterner kicks it up. Thank you for your service, Musky18

The resort rental boats that I have seen have been 16 footers with smaller engines on them. Early during the summer [June or so] you can fish the gap, Pine island, Morris Pt. Zipple bay, Arnesons, Long Pt. ect. The fishing can change from day to day, but usually you can find them within a mile or so from the south shore. We usually drift with spinners or bare hooks. Preferred bait can change daily. Could be crawlers one day leeches the next. Have had good luck jigging with minnows also. Like I said just ask and looks for the boats. The resorts will get you close. There will be a ton of private boats out there where-ever the fish are biting. Use common sense with the weather and you will not have any problems. Good Luck