Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
setterguy

Smallies this weekend

9 posts in this topic

I have never targeted smallies on Vermillion and was wondering if anyone had any general tips to try as we are heading up thursday. Are they on mid lake structure, shorelines or deep water near said structure/points? I'm thinking slow presentation, jig/plastic combo might be the ticket....am I way off??

I would try the shorelines around docks and stuff. Ive never had any luck on bass on mid lake structure, although i dont specifically target them ive caught alot fishing near shore.

Post deleted by JBMasterAngler

Doesn't the bass season start the same time as the Walleye for the NE corner of the state?

LARGEMOUTH and smallmouth bass:

May 26, 2007-Feb. 24, 2008

(May 12, 2007- north and east of

U.S. Hwy. 53 from

Duluth to International

Falls and

Pelican and Ash

lakes in St. Louis

County.)

Quote:

Doesn't the bass season start the same time as the Walleye for the NE corner of the state?

LARGEMOUTH and smallmouth bass:

May 26, 2007-Feb. 24, 2008

(May 12, 2007- north and east of

U.S. Hwy. 53 from

Duluth to International

Falls and

Pelican and Ash

lakes in St. Louis

County.)

YOU are correct SIR!

Others need to brush up on the fishing regs...who knows what else they are overlooking.

Well ain't I quite the (Contact Us Please). Just out of curiousity then, why does the season start earlier for them up there?

JB - just a guess, but if there's any science to it, I would have to believe that water temp would be a major factor in the bass season opening early up there. The temps here are a solid 10 degrees higher if not more in the southern part of the state, and the bass will be spawning earlier than up north. So to avoid a lot of fish being pulled off their beds, it would make sense to make it later in the southern 2/3 of the state. But, if the northern part had to wait until spawning was over, it could be mid-june in some lakes...just aguess, though. it could be as random as anything

I'm sure that has something to do with it...I go bass fishing in the grand marais area every 2nd week of june and I've caught many bass that still have eggs in them.

Now this question might be a stupid one...is this season a new rule? I've talked to about 20 people about this and they either don't know when bass season starts or they've never heard of it starting the same time as walleyes in NE minnesota.

It's been that way for as long as I can remember. Going back to growing up on the Range, I can't remember ever having to throw a smallie back if we caught a decent sized one... so if my mind hasn't failed me, it's been the rule for at least 25-30 years?