• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The DNR and a new Boat

MWard4400

One thing do we know if the boat was even purchased, it very well could have been a forfeiture.

I' am glad you got me covered, but if your going to write a check to the DNR why don't you just make it out for $1000.00 or better yet $2000.00

"especially if it would happen to be one of my loved ones they are taking that boat out after"

Oh and I' am sorry.... what was it that the 18 foot Warrior was going to do that the 18 foot Lund, Crestliner, or Alumacraft was not capable of doing?

Big Drift... you are correct... I have not had time to check into it.... and I will not post any more till I find out for sure.

Mark

Oh and I' am sorry.... what was it that the 18 foot Warrior was going to do that the 18 foot Lund, Crestliner, or Alumacraft was not capable of doing?

Evidently give you an ulcer . wink.gif

This is getting really crazy Anyone out there want to give me a dollar I need all the cash I can get I'M BROKE

What if Warrior gave the DNR a deal on the boat that made it as affordable as a Northwoods Backtroller?

See, you don't know that didn't or did happen, because you've been too busy to call with your ulcerative concern...But you have had plenty of time to quote everyone here and write lengthy replies to this soul burning topic about the DNR having a boat that was so fetching you came here to complain about it.

You came to a family website that promotes the outdoors, conservation, and values, to COMPLAIN about the CONSERVATION OFFICER having TOO NICE of equiptment.

I will say again, you paid $18 for your license.

$18!!!!!!!!!!

And it goes to ramps, docks, stocking, weed control, netting, bouys, trucks, gas, salaries, burn control, law enforcement, studies, etc etc for over 16,000 lakes...

Not just the lakes YOU fish, and not just on the days that are sunny and calm....

If you have that big a problem with it, quit fishing and invest your $18 into something more lucrative.

Now is when you tell us all you had a bad day and apologize....Seriously.

Myabe you should pay by the fish...

Everyfish you keep is 20 cents, and every fish you catch and throw back will be assessed a 10% restocking fee.

So, 20 per eater, and 2 cents per throw-back...

Now, how many fish do you plan to catch this year?

And every boat launch cost 50 cents. How many times will you launch?

Want to use the dock? 5 cents.

Want that rock pile marked? 5 cents.

Want to get to the deep hole without wrapping weeds in your prop... 5 cents.

And how much was that license again?

I have absolutely no idea if it's a loaner or a demo or a repo or if full price + 5 grand was dropped for this boat. What I do know is if this ranks top 10 in your list of serious concerns I wish I had your problems.

I only know I went to the boat show, and that 18-20 foot Lund Crestiliner or Alumacraft is dam near as expensive as that Warrior, ohhh and Warrior probably strips the boats down and sells them to them for a sweet deal. RiverPro has sold many boats to our DNR and others around the country and they all get a good deal, they don't have to have livewells, livewell pumps, carpeting, Trolling Motor hookups.... well you get the drift... I also find it funny that in this day and age someone is going to have a coronary about a boat they saw the local enforcement officer driving.... theres lots more to worry about right now..... hell since I typed this theres thousands of people depending on me to get to work..... they need there welfare money blush.gifgrin.gif

The CO's should have whatever they need to make their job as easy as possible. Reading the entire thread, Nobody on this thread knows anything about that boat other then seeing it. (All speculation)

I would guess 95% of all sportsman follow all laws, regulations, to make the experience as fun an exciting for all to experience in the future.

Sportsmen pay for alot of taxs, fees for the outdoors and its good to see that the CO's are around with equipment like this to keep the poachers, lawbreakers aware.

I finely got to call on the DNR Warrior boat

I talked to Captain Roger Tietz from Northwest Region 1

As he explained to me that they have three Warriors at this time and #4 Warrior boat will be coming in soon, The boats are purchased on a federal contract with money acquired from a "Federal boat & water grant"

There were several prerequisites to the purchase of a boat when a Warrior was looked at. Warrior is a Minnesota company, The glass boat was a more stable platform to work out of, They were getting a few more years of use out of glass boats, The performance was better in a glass boat, and the most important was that there was less lost workers comp time because the CO's were not getting beat up in the glass boats. They could also be out on the water longed before fatigued.

The aluminum boats are lasting about 10 years with the Glass ones going a few years longer than that.

Cost wise the glass boats cost a little bit more but last a few years longer. About a wash after the life of the boat.

None of the boats are stripped down, at least in this category. Bilge pumps, live wells all operational.

About 80% of the boats are bought by Federal boat & water grant money. I was not sure why 80/20 split but I dident ask.

I did not ask how a Mfg got on a federal contract list but as I understand that the price of the boats marked way below what retail would sell at. The Mfg looked at the discount price as "Good Advertising" in the aspect that if you saw the DNR in a Warrior boat that it must be a good product and therefore the public would look favorable on that boat.

Over all I was pleased with Captain Tietz and his answers.

I was somewhat disappointed in the few guys who attacked me, I never asked for more than an explanation of why the DNR was using a Warrior.

Mr. Musky, You stated: "I don't set a price when it comes to a human life . 40K seems pretty reasonable" That's the kind of stuff I find funny

Mr. Jijsticker, Twice you nailed me, For a guy that has over 1780 posts you seem to have an opinion on almost everything. In your last post of almost 300 words you stated: "You came to a family web site that promotes the outdoors, conservation, and values" This is the same website that you came to and threatened to run over Dockfishermans lines if they didn't move! " There's some family values. Still you did not answer the difference between all the 18 foot boats.

I fault myself for not doing more research before posting the original question but hind site as they say is 20/20 I did not bash the DNR, if people took offence to the question I asked it was never my intent. Now I am happy.... are you guys

Mark

I'm happy you're happy grin.gif. Now call and ask how much it costs to radio track an otter, and how many DNR vehicles have leather seats. I have a hunch you'd be happy there too.

Craig

A fan of the jigsticker eh'?

Yeah, the public access dock fisherpeople who fish from the landing docks and refuse to move when someone wants to land or launch a boat may end up getting their lines ran over.

It's pretty simple.

The landing dock is for the aid of launching and landing a boat. Not for fishing.

My point to you was, your post seemd to COMPLAIN about these guys being in an upper class boat, consequently waisting your money, when you hadn't yet gotten any facts.

Now you seem pretty satisfied; do you feel a little red in the face now?

Sorry I didn't answer the difference between all the 18 foot boats. As it turns out, I really don't care what the difference is, but the DNR seems pretty content with them, so that's good.

Let's go fishing sometime and have a beverage. I warn you up front, I am only a Crappie guy, so if you wanna chase Walleyes we'll have to take your rig.

smile.gif

If your happy , then hey , were happy . I'm just glad I could bring a little funny your way .

Very interesting thread. Until now I was blissfully ignorant of how my tax dollars were being spent. I'm all for the CO's getting a sweet boat. I wanna be like them if I ever grow up! Until that time I'll just fish every chance I get and teach my children the Ways of the Fishing Jedi:>)

I don't see any reason why he should feel red in the face; imho, it's all of those who bashed on the guy for asking a legitimate question that should feel red in the face. Maybe he should have checked w/ the DNR first before posting, but maybe, just maybe he thought that someone here may know the answer and be able to inform him without a call to the DNR. A lot of people ask questions on this board relating to the DNR and many other topics, as far as I know thats why the board is here; to help each other out.

Actually, I thought the board was here to give us all something to do Monday thru Friday while we're supposed to be hard at work at our "jobs".

Well, I guess I can't argue that one with you grin.gif I just notice that sometimes people are awful quick to jump on someone without truly understanding what the person was trying to say; it's pretty tough to interpret the way someone is trying to say something when your only reading a typed statement.

You're very right snowman. If I offended you MWard, please accept my apology. Web board media is very hard to interpret. I've been swamped many times by simply being misunderstood. I don't communicate very well in this format, hence I don't communicate very often in this format.

I looked this over. And think MWard made a statement. Then was rebutted and felt he had to escalate the statement. Then I and others piled on. And MWard came full circle. I accept that. And agree that everybody should watch-dog what government is doing. It's too often too much spent and not enough returned.

Let's everybody be happy. And have a nice day. Really.

Craig

Craig, Snowman, Musky, Jigsticker,

I truly believe that everyone who posted on this subject had intentions that were nothing less than honorable.

I am pleased at the outcome. I hold no grudges.

Best of Luck Guys!

Mark

Right back at ya Mark .

Have a great summer fishin' !

I for one am glad you brought the question up. The right to ask the question of what are goverment is doing with our money is every American's Constitional Right. One of the reasons why I spent 14 years serving my country.

Just wish I read this thread sooner. It's ok to support our Service man, Police officers and all othe law officers. It is even more important that we ask questions to what and why they do things they are doing. Too many people actually don't even know or even get involved with what their local goverment is even doing, Me included.

But all in all, I think the DNR did a good thing in aquiring the boats. I also think it was a good thing that Mward asked about it. Just My Humble Opinion............

May I chime in with a question?

I see the State Patrol, County Sherriff, and Municiple Police driving more and more SUV model cruisers.

Now I know the advantage they give in certain aspects, like severe snow fall, chasing a lunatic off road, hauling a kids bike home for him, etc.

But does the State Patrol need to be cruising the interstate with a Suburban all summer sucking gasoline looking for 18 wheelers with incomplete logs?

Anyone know anything about this?

Alot of law enforcement cars have expensive lights mounted into the mirrors, grills, and upper area of the windshield now because its less wind resistance and better fuel economy.

But then they buy a Suburban.

Oh, Vegas is now taking bets on how high the gas will go.

What is the world coming to?

I noticed the CO with the warrior was at Leech lake on Sunday making sure that everyone was safe and protecting our resources... Thanks MR. CO nice boat.

It's about time they have something big enough to cover the bigger waters.

MR grin.gif

Well they do need it to haul around scales, S&R gear, Accident reconsruction equipment, etc.

The patrol cars are still the number 1 vehicle, but the SUV's are needed in Support roles.