• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The DNR and a new Boat

MWard4400

On Saturday opener I watched as the DNR towed in a small boat that was having some motor problem.

The question I have is the boat that the DNR was using was a new Warrior with a 150 four stroke.... I am hoping that someone gave the boat to the DNR to use, Because I would hate to think that as much as we here about how tight money is at the DNR that someone authorized the purchase of a $40K+ upper end boat when about 30K would have put them in a very very nice piece.

Someone please tell me that we just using it on loan or demo!

They were out there monday as well.

Possibly could have been one of their personal boats or a BWI forfiet.

They must average it out because the CO on LOTW got screwed with the boat he was using. wink.gif It was no Warrior by any means!

later,

toddb

The DNR guys that checked us had what looked like a jon boat, with about a 75 Merc 4-stroke. Definately not a fancy boat.

They need that much power so they can storm up on every boat they possibly can,They dont want to miss out on a chance to catch you with a Beer while your haveing your sandwich! frown.gifWhat ever happened to the warden quietly stopping by so they dont disturb your fishing?

Quote:

What ever happened to the warden quietly stopping by so they dont disturb your fishing?

That stopped when anglers started leaving the lake with trucks full of walleye's while the lake was closed and a general disrespect for the resource started.

I think having the wardens in a good boat is a smart move. Wardens do more then bust you, (why are some worried about being busted?) wardens not only patrol for poaching but also assist boats stuck on sandbars and search for you when the storm has you flipped over six miles out. I woud feel much better knowing a full sized Warrior is coming to look for me verses a 16 foot Jon Boat. Everybody loves catching those walleyes but nobody wants to help protect them.

To be honest I am very disappointed with this thread.

JON, I CANT POSSIBLY THINK OF A WAY TO SAY IT BETTER. IT'S LIKE SOME OF THE POLICE, SHERIFFS, AND STATE TROOPERS SHOULDNT GET NICE EQUIPMENT EITHER? MAYBE SOME COULD PATROL IN GOLF CARTS confused.gif MAYBE THE STATE BOUGHT IT, MAYBE IT WAS A CONFISCATION, WHO KNOWS. AS JON SAID, IF I NEED ONE, ID RATHER HAVE HIM IN THAT THAN A SMALLER, NOT QUITE AS SWEET MACHINE AS DESCRIBED BY OTHERS.

Bach when I was a kid 4 of us kids went out on the lake and decided the middle of the lake was the place to be.After running out of gas the wind picked up and a storm blew in.We lost both oars and had know idea how much trouble we were in.It was just an adventure to us. There was no big boat around to come rescue us, not that we knew we needed to be rescued. Six hours later we were rescued by a coast gaurd boat they brought down from baudett.

I understand both sides of the story here.

If i was a warden I wouldnt want to get a call to go rescue someone 6 miles out on red lake in a wind stom in a 14' jon boat!

On the other hand though, if money is tight as indicated, if indeed they paid $40k+ for one boat. They could have bought 2 very good $20k boats to rescue me. I would rather have that! Dont get me wrong here I dont think they should be out there in junk at all! The CO s have a very important job to do, and our fish, and sometimes our lives depend on them, not to mention their own lives.

So if indeed they are driving a $40k boat Im not going to frown apon them.

Yes I agree they need a big boat,there job can be very dangerous at times and they never know when they are going to need the power to get somewhere fast.I just wish they would slow down a little before pulling up along side my much smaller boat.If I was afraid of getting busted,I would not be out there with my family.I have yet to take even one eye out of Red.

Guys! I' am not saying that the DNR should have substandard equipment, what I am saying as long as I pick up part of the tab for the equipment I think I should have an explanation of why upper priced boats are now being purchased when for years mid priced boats seemed to work just fine.

What's next? a Hummer hooked up to a 21 foot Ranger.

Two years ago the DNR was taking a $230.000 Cessna 182 with state of the art tracking equipment from New Ulm to Winona to track one or two Otters several time a week. A rough guess was about $400.00 every trip. (AV fuel, maintain, insurance, equipment wear)

There must be some kind of a demand for Otter that I am not aware of!

Take a trip over to DNR headquarters sometime and check out all the leather interior Suburban's in the parking lot, These boys are driving some serious new hardware..... and guess who's paying for it.

My whole point was that if the DNR "NEEDS" that piece of equipment.... they should have it! But if the DNR "WANTS" a piece of equipment that is more expensive, I like knowing why!

Never had a problem with a CO being rude or overly-aggressive.

But the non-game desk jockeys in St Paul are a pain. Just cost one of my clients a $75 "fee" for DNR to report that there were no endangered or threatened species on a city street shocked.gif

of course, that $75 piece of paper was required by a federal agency.

ya think there might be more interest in mutual job security than in enviromnmental protection? wink.gif

Our CO's have a tough job covering a large area. They work long hours and are not paid enough in my opinion. Their job also has many dangerous elements to it including policing activities like hunting where guns are used.

I have no issue with them having superior equipment. If they use that expensive boat or plane or office chair for many years it will be a very worthwhile investment.

Jon , you know as well as I do some people will find fault with almost anything . When I was in the USCG there seemed to be two types of people and opinions on the Coast Guard . The people who hated the CG were the people who were busted or likley law breakers . The people who loved the Coast Guard were people who had been rescued . Met a few converted Coast Guard haters who had to change their opinion when they had to depend on the CG to pull their fat out of the fryer . Point being is that a 40K boat would be worth it to the guy whos being pulled out of the water , no questions asked . Maybe if somebody has a problem with the DNR having decent boats they can request a lesser boat if they are 10 miles out in a 8 foot chop and thier boat is taking on water . I suppose that every CO would be running to the dock to go out in that with a 14' jon boat and a 10HP motor just to save some guy he doesn't even know . All I know is that if I ever have to call for a rescue I want my rescuerer well equiped .

Quote:

But if the DNR "WANTS" a piece of equipment that is more expensive, I like knowing why!

Jeesh MWard, why don't you pick up the phone, call DNR and ask? There may be some very good reasons as posted. But getting your answer here just seems like anti-DNR bombing to me.

Craig

I see both sides of the coin here, but I really don't want to hear "I helped pay for that boat".

You payed $18 for your fishing license that has to be subsidized for some 18,000 lakes, rivers, streams, boat ramps, docks, marker bouys, pollution control, weed control, law enforcement, gas @ $3.00 a gallon to get there, etc etc.

Hey, CO's don't just work on sunny calm days either.

When you won't go fishing because it is -25, too windy, or the snow is 3 feet deep, they are out there somewhere still doing there job, which by the way, could be saving your @ss someday.

I don't think they NEED a $40k boat to ride in, but then again, I don't know for a fact that they paid $40k, or they were donated it, given it, offered a deal on it, confinscated it, or are kind enough to use their own rig to do their job that I am gonna come on a public forum and bash them based on an assumption.

Geeze...this thread is something to be ashamed of.

Well, I hope I'm in line, but let's look a little deeper.

Quote:

Two years ago the DNR was taking a $230.000 Cessna 182 with state of the art tracking equipment from New Ulm to Winona to track one or two Otters several time a week. A rough guess was about $400.00 every trip. (AV fuel, maintain, insurance, equipment wear)

There must be some kind of a demand for Otter that I am not aware of!

Maybe you're not a trapper, but there has been a very huge market for otter. $100.00 or more a piece was the norm, a little less lately. Given thousands trapped - and into normal folks pockets, you do the math. $400.00 per trip sounds pretty reasonable to me. Good gravy, maybe that research saved otter trapping for the unforeseeable future? Maybe they found out otter trapping in the south should be banned. How much you wanna pay for that? No more otters?

Quote:

Take a trip over to DNR headquarters sometime and check out all the leather interior Suburbans in the parking lot, These boys are driving some serious new hardware..... and guess who's paying for it.

Nobody in DNR I've seen is driving a leather interior work vehicle. Are you talking about personal vehicle's? If so, I'm pretty sure DNR pay isn't above par for private jobs. Maybe they just have a kink for leather?

DNR bashing is a little Minnesota culture. But is it productive? I agree that most folks that do it are outlaws. Too bad.

Craig

How I stand on it is Red Lake is nasty and dangerous and when storms come from the south they are fast moving...can you outrun a storm across six miles of rough lake with no islands or bays to hide behind. A boat that can is a must if you are out fishing in front of a storm, or if you have to work in front of a incoming storm.

Something to remember if it was not for the combined effort of the DNR fisheries, DNR conservation officers, and many other DNR divisions working together with the public and othet groups Red Lake would still be a dead lake and nobody would be fishing it or worried about the warden boat on Red that may come up on on you. HUGE amounts of money have been spent to make Red what it is today, so a solid enforcement boat is a just a good investment in my mind.

I like the new boat, it works for rough and tough Red and if it goes down I'll drive the wardens around in mine...you think the warden storms around the lake. smile.gif

So True Jonny! they need a big boat to do what they do on Red. i would bet it was confiscated or donated. I can tell you CO's go out in some pretty scary conditions to rescue people. On Red and LOW and (Contact Us Please) they should have access to a big boat. With Mille though there are enough launches they could comandeer if they had to. On URL that is not an option. Maybe the tribe bought it for them?

So they have a new boat..Do you expect them to be using a old boat? That "New Boat" will see more hrs on the water this season then your boat will in a life time. I think people tend to forget that this is there office. How long would you last sitting on a peach crate in front of a folding table. It may seem excessive to you but equipment is bought to be used. The less down time the better. Undersized rigs are not acceptable. I think everyone here has read a post staying buy the biggest boat/ motor you can afford just for those reasons, you may not need it every time you go out but here I would rather be safe then sorry. Back several years ago a local city decide to downsize their police squads. City council decide that they didn't need that extra leg room in the cars. City ended up paying for it in back problems of the officers riding 8 hrs a day. Same line of thought here I think.

Quote:

What's next? a Hummer hooked up to a 21 foot Ranger.

Hummer would not surprise me the ranger would. Have you seen the price of a Suburban lately?

Well I tried to call the DNR to get to the bottom of it but the person I talked to didn't know and referred me to Tim. I'll echo other comments that say this discussion is missguided. CO's that work big water should have good equipment. Do you think a highway patrol should be chasing down speeders on a moped? A moped may be fun to ride but its like sleeping with a (throw in your favorite insult here) you don't want your friends to see! blush.gif

Instead of complaining about it make a few phone calls and find out if they bought it in the first place, maybe they got a great deal on it, maybe repo'd, maybe donated.

Quote:

A moped may be fun to ride but its like sleeping with a (throw in your favorite insult here) you don't want your friends to see!

I believe the joke goes like this:

What does a moped and a (throw in inslult here) girl have in common. They're both fun to ride until your friends see you!! grin.gif

Hang in there, MWard...maybe you can pick it up at the DNR surplus auction in a few years... grin.gif

I dont really care to have the State spend money in excess just as others but, when the CO's are on the bigger lakes and are protecting our resourse and helping with many other duties, the boats they drive should be the safest and the best.

The day I have a problem on the water and need to be helped, I would like to know that my tax dollars bought a good, safe ride.

How many of us would want to work the lakes they do with a small undersized boat? Not me.

I haven't had a chance to call the DNR yet.... I was fishing.

I asked the question on the Red Lake Forum because some times people in the area know what the scoop is.

Reading the forum response on this post is just a hoot.

One guy stated that "They work long hours and are not paid enough in my opinion." then 18 words later he says "I have no issue with them having superior equipment"....WOW... now where do you think CO Bobs bigger raise went. "Superior equipment" costs superior money.

Here's another one that's funny "Point being is that a 40K boat would be worth it to the guy who's being pulled out of the water , no questions asked"............Lets see.... 18 foot Warrior.... 18 foot Lund..... 18 foot Crestliner.... 18 foot Alumacraft ......... did you think the guy being rescued by the 18 foot Crestliner is going to say..... "No No!!! I'll wait for the more expensive boat!!!!

Is a Warrior any more "Sea worthy" than a Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft?

This one is note worthy also: "Maybe you're not a trapper, but there has been a very huge market for otter. $100.00 or more a piece was the norm, a little less lately. Given thousands trapped - and into normal folks pockets, you do the math. $400.00 per trip sounds pretty reasonable to me"

Here is my response to the otters.... 2000 are allowed to be taken annually ( 4 ) per person, No trapping below I 94 and Hwy 10. That's about $200,000 collected by trappers. I am a pilot.... the guess is about $400 per trip... that's about $42,000 per year, NOT counting staff personal.... what's a biologist get paid per year? What's a DNR CO pilot make? what's a couple assistants worth a year. That $42K is if nothing brakes on the aircraft. Annual inspections for the aircraft are somewhere between $1000.00 and $1500.00, oil filters $25.00, Oil $5.00 per quart. Spark plugs about $20.00 each... unless its the "Superior" fine wire plugs... there only about $90.00 each and that's X 12, its a 6 cylinder and has two plugs per cylinder. Parts..... Parts are so expensive it would make a seagull throw up, $500.00 for almost anything and up from there......

That $200K isn't sounding real reasonable any more.

Where did the 14 or 16 foot Jon "Rescue" boat come from?. I made no reference to one.....why insult me?

Here is my DISCLAMER, I am passionate about hunting and fishing. Every year it costs more and more. We are losing hunters and fishing guys and girls between the ages of 16 and 35 ( I think those numbers are correct). As the numbers in rank drop there will be fewer people spending money on licenses, the money has to come from somewhere, More stamps like a walleye stamp, or a northern stamp will be issued for a price. This hunting and fishing will turn into a "Rich Mans Sport"

I have no answer as to whether the DNR owns the Warrior or not... but I hope to find out.

What is it with some people?..... Is the DNR a sacred cow?.... we cant question them?

The Government is set up with two bodies that run checks and balances on each other. The DNR operates almost by themselves. I ask them questions.

What are you guys doing?

Warriors are one of the more affortable glass boats out there. I don't see anything wrong with them having something like this on upper red.

Since I was one of the people who comments struck you as funny let me help clarify for you what I ment since the full meaning seems to have slipped by you . That guy I refered to doesn't care what the boat cost . He don't care that you have a problem with what the boat cost . He is just glad there is a boat to help him out . Myself , I don't set a price when it comes to a human life . 40K seems pretty reasonable especially if it would happen to be one of my loved ones they are taking that boat out after . I pay my taxes , buy my license's , give a few bucks extra when they ask if I want to donate to waters or habitat and I don't have any problem with the DNR riding around in a Warrior . None . I'll even pay your share on the next Warrior they buy . How much would that be ? 1.00 . I got ya covered .