• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sucker Run Report - 5/14/07 (6 pics)

Well, I tried to have a sucker run UPLR event last night, but didn’t have a great turnout. (5 guys). Instead of competing, we just fished for fun (and that it was).

The fish cooperated last night, and the crappy weather didn’t show up. We had some heat and wind to deal with, but we adapted. 8 species of fish were caught including golden redhorse, northern hogsucker, northern pike, perch, black bullhead, bluegill, smallmouth, and white sucker. Easily a fish every 5 minutes or better. 18+ suckers, 30+ gills, 1 pike, 1 perch, 2 bullies, and a few dink smallies. Our suckers ran on the smaller side, but we caught several gills over the 8” mark with 1 going 8.5” and a decent pike.

Double - Ty & Andy

ty_andyv_double.jpg

8+" Gill - Andy

andya_gill.jpg

~5lb Pike

ty_pike1.jpg

Ryan and a typical sized Golden Redhorse

ryan_golden.jpg

One of the larger Goldens for the evening

andya_golden2.jpg

My 2nd ever Northern HogSucker grin.gif

ty_hogsucker1.jpg

The spot we fish is no secret. If the pictures don’t give it away, simply drop me an email and I’ll give you exact directions on where we were fishing and answer any other questions you might have.

I wouldn’t expect anybody to automatically love the sport of sucker fishing. I hadn’t tried it until last year when Dan T kept posting pics and report of 40-60+ fish days (big fish too). I took him up on a couple sucker run trips and now I love doing it. I hope to share some of that with those who have never tried it, or want to know how to do it. Some criticize and call it junk/garbage fishing. Who cares! I release nearly all the fish I catch anyways so it really doesn’t matter what species it is (well sometimes… smirk.gif)

Our strategy tonight was simple. Crawler on the bottom. To be more exact, I was using a 7’ ML rod with a soft tip to detect bites. 8# mono with a slip bullet sinker (3/8 oz). I used a swivel as a stop for the slip weight and a 12-18” 6# mono leader with a #6 or #4 hook octopus hook. Add half a crawler and cast it out. Some fish came out of slack water and eddy areas, some came out of the current. If I didn’t get a bite in 4-5 minutes, reel up, check bait, and cast to another spot.

All fish were released tonight. There a lot of fishable resources right within Rochester that are underutilized so I’m hoping posts like this one open a few options to the anglers in our area.

Enjoy cool.gif

PS. I know some of the fish/pictures are not the most glorified fish, but I take pride in expanding my fishing arena and learning more about each and every species out there. I’ve been taking some “heat crazy.gif” for picture posting lately, but please remember I’m doing this to encourage others to get out and enjoy a day on (or next to) the water, rather than sitting at home and wondering where and if the fish are biting. Sure I’m proud of some of my catches, but I always try to share information on how others can maybe enhance their fishing experience.

Awesome pictures! Pictures are a good thing right?

That is one really cool Norton. Being caught right in town and all. Way to go guys!

Tyler,

I always appreciate your reports and pics. I think it is cool that you get out and target some of the lesser appreciated species in the area. I would have probably joined you last night if I had known you were just going to fish for fun. I usually don't go because I don't want to spend the money. Call me cheap if you want...but I have a wedding to save up for! HAHA I think it would be cool if we have some get togethers now and then that are just for fun.

Nate

I can attest to the statements made by Tyler. I had never tried sucker fishing until this year either. But I am sure "hooked" now! I mean, when everything else is closed, walleye, pike, bass... You can go out to most any stream in the area and consistently catch 5lb+ fish!! And they give one heck of a fight being in current and just the shear size of some to the species. Again I had never targeted them before, but man did I get excited earlier this year when I had possibly caught a new state record Northern Hogsucker! Yes, most of these fish are not very respected by most, but again they are truly fun fish to catch. I believe that all fish regardless of looks or reputation should deserve the respect of all fisherpeople. Don't get caught up in the misnomer of having to catch only the "normal" gamefish and do yourself a favor and give this type of fishing a try. You just might find out that there are alot more fishing oppurtunities available to you than you think!

Thanks Tyler and Andy's. I had a good time sitting on the rocky shores.

Like the others said- suckers might not be the stereotypical game fish, but sure are fun and you can hook into lots of them around this time of year.

N the northern coming out of there really impressed me. Good job Ty.

Tyler, keep on doin' what your doin'. I'm always curious to see what you have been catching. Dont't let anyone give you heat about the pictures. The only thing I can come up with is that they are jealous that they are seeing thepics of fish on their screen and not at the end of their line! Keep up the good work and thank you for all you do for this site and the events!!

Tyler,

Not to give you more heat (because I enjoy seeing some of the photos) but the first photo makes you look like an ant with the antennas on top of your head. Betcha you scroll up and look now!

BassDoc,

Yep, I scrolled up and your right. laugh.gif That's funny and that's exactly the type of "heat" I don't make taking (and dishin blush.gif)

Camera man "YOUR FIRED!" grin.gif

And you guys didn't even notice Rugby's blankie hanging out of his pocket (top pic)

Ha, I hadn't noticed that. By the way will somebody teach him how to hold a fish grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

ty_golden1.jpg

The fish are still there.

Last night 6 or 7 shinners, 3 golden redhorse, 3 bullheads, 1 bluegill all in an hour and 15 minutes. Prob missed 50 tiny bites. Gills or shinners. I really wasn't geared up for the smaller fish, but a UL rod or a fly rod would have produce countless fish last night.