• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Disappointed in Sportsmanship

LBSPORTSMEN

I saw and heard some very disappointed stuff happen on and off the water this past weekend. With people keeping several 24-28 inch fish, catching a couple limits in one day, and boat rage. I'm sure the crime section of local newspapers are full of violations. This is really going to make fisherman look bad to those who don't see the good.

Unless those fish were carp that is terrible. Did someone say slotlimit? Unless we make it illegal to keep fish this size I guess you really have nothing to complain about do you? Take Green Lake in kandiyohi co. The DNR put this limit and that limit on bass and northern it seems at will. But when one guy started asking questions about walleye they were just shut down. E-mails went unanswered. I'm also not saying it is going to work but it would be worth a try to see what would happen.

The several 24-28" walleye were captured by the DNR at the boat landing. 2 boats in a row... We had caught several in that size on the lake, but all were returned to the water safely! I'm glad the DNR was there, because the lake was HOT! I think they saved a lot of walleye.

Did the lake you were fishing have a slot size? If so great.

1 over 20"

I make it a point to take a camera. A 24" walleye makes a great photo, but a 15" makes a better meal...

In my opinion this is going to keep being an issue unless they get more conservation officers out there to enforce the laws. I remember when I was a kid ice fishing on Minnewaska I was checked by the conservation officer each time I went out. He used to sit in houses waiting for the owners to return so that he can write them up for unattended fishing lines.

The fear and punishment that we used to have of going over the limit and getting caught is gone. Until that fear comes back poachers will reign supreme. They need to be more strict with the fines. They need to confiscate their boats, trucks, fishing gear and lose their rights to fish in the state for 10 yrs. They should also have to do community service or better yet conservation service to the DNR.

Mnfishman,

In the eighties, I know the limits were greater but I think people did not care about over the limits or CO/DNR officer coming about (at least in northern burbs, ER). I sure feel like today a CO can come up to you at any time. I personally have seen and been checked by a record number of CO Officers this year already. From a boat inspection at 35w bridge launch on MN river to another boat inspection at blue lake in northern burbs. Shore fishing lic. checks at St. Cloud, Otsego and rice creek and season just started Sat.. It sure has been a busy year so far for them, or they are just following me. I think I went the last 3 or 4 years with out any connection with CO... I sure have not had this many in years so far. The CO's in St. Cloud by dam last week were stealthy. You would of not even known they were CO's until they we right behind you. They came out of bushes and had camo jackets on. My two boys had never seen a CO before and got a quick run down on them.

The CO in the MPLS part of the Sippi is sneaky to. Real nice guy, but will have on regular clothes and underneath is the uni w/walkie talkie. I've seen the same guy shore fishing Minnehaha and the boatlaunch at 694. I'm glad they are out there.

For the first time in many, many years there are now a full force of CO's. They just got all posts filled. Glad ti finally happened. I like seeing CO's, actually. If a guy is doing nothing worng, then they have nothing to worry about.

But, it does stink when you drop one too many redheads or cans, and it does happen occassionally when hunting with two birds with one shot, but then you just be honest. Anyway, glad there is a full stable of CO's again in MN.

There is a full stabe of CO's but the most of the stations are the same as in the 1940's. I assume by your comment you read the story in the paper about the new CO recruit class.

Now that we have all of our stations full its time to start adding mroe stations. There are at least 15 CO's that cover the metro area, yet the average size area that a CO has to cover is 600 square miles. One section (mile squar eis 640 acres so that means tha average CO has to cover 384,000 acres of public and private lands and waters enforcing everything from no fishing license to wetland damage violations.

Its hard for them to be everywhere all the time so do your part and support and use the TIP line. Get to know your CO's. The more calls that they receive decides on how much coverage an area gets. If an area exceeds the ability to be covered by one person than maybe they will start to add more stations.

I'm glad everyone here has the same opion I do. I hate being a "taddle tell", but I want my kids and grandkids to enjoy fishing as much as I do. I have never called anyone in, but I have given my fair share of "ace" chewings. However, I do agree that we need to be calling in more often to get more CO's out there. I think the one's out there are doing a hell of a job, and I thank everyone of them. It's a tough job! It would kill me to have to work on the opener!