Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoggsback

Island Lake

7 posts in this topic

What is the water level like?

I am headed to my cabin on the Cloquet and will be fishing mainly the east side. Is the river and lake down like the big lake is reported to be?

Anyone gonna be fishing anytime Thursday to Saturday? It would be great to meet some FM'ers fishing! laugh.gif

We mainly fish the river from Alden to the last rapids above the lake couple times a summer. Do a nice float trip for several hours and cast for the smalley's, but catch an eye here and there. Last few years we have been hitting the lake for something different.

Canoed across the lake and up the Cloquet for the opener. The lake level is quite high. There is no drop from the river into the lake. Motor boats going right up to the base of whitesides portage. We didn't go above portage.

i was at my parents house this past weekend on island and it looked like the lake was down about 3-4ft. They live in south bay and i know you had to be darn careful coming into the main lake.

We fished the West side on opener & the depths didn't seem any different than last year during the ALS.

Thanks for the info all!

Well enough about the lake level. how bout a fishin report, might wanna try island soon as vermilion cools down wink.gif

Just got back from the cabin and had good luck on Island. We fished the usual area- mouth of the river on east side and various islands. Most were small but action none the less.

We ventured to the west side for the first time. Thanks to the lake master chip we were able to see 2 sunken islands out in the middle of the lake that were not visible. We are flying along when the depth suddenly goes from the upper 30's to 5 feet. We slow down and the depth finally stops at 3.5 feet.

We fished an area told to me by a local and had good results. Had a nice shore lunch on an island we pulled up on.

Got a nice surprise when I caught a nice crappie. I wasn't aware there were crappies in the lake. I lost it at the boat though.

I think next time I will explore the west basin more.

Anyone have any troubles with their gps on the lake? We would connect off and on while on the east side but it was hit and miss. The west side was worse. I can't figure out how I can't aquire sat's in the middle of open water.

Does MP&L manage the lake level in any particular way? I noticed the lake was several feet down but a guy told me the lake should be back up by middle June.