• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

wat to do??

nater2416

hi guys ui have never fished red lake before and would like to get in on the walleye action and waswondering if someone could help me out and get me started with things. thank you

We have always had great success fishing little joe's either drifting or slow trolling. Over the years I have fished quite a bit of jigs with twister tails and also had great success but most of my fish have been bigger.A small mister twister type spinner again with a tail can really be a great lure but plan on losing it as a big pike will snap it every time with out a leader.With a leader it is just not the same lure

If it's really windy i've found trolling crank baits works nicely. Rapala minnow rap and tail dancers have worked well for me.

i was also wondering what works better fatheads or shiners?? and why is it that the dnr website doesnt have a map of the lake?? i have a gps lake chip so it should be on there right?? any other spoys would be appreciated thank you.

Fished Monday with 3 friends in boat.

On the Lake about noon out of the public access in Waskish.

Went about 500 yards north of access and drifted south.

Every fish caught was marked on the GPS.

Caught 59 eyes, (1 was 29", released) 1-15# northern, 1 crappie and 2 sheephead.

We got bait at West Wing on Red and asked for advice. He stated - 1/4 oz. chrome color jig with either shiners or fatheads bouncing them off the bottom. Leeches would ball up, water was too cold. But they should work next week.

Left lake at 4:00.

Awesome day for us. This was all of our first trip to RED Lake during open water.

Good Luck !

Depends on what you want. Crappies, walleye, pike, sheephead etc etc.

Walleye you can't go wrong with a slip bobber and a shiner of the the last break or six feet of water.

Crappies...you you guessed it, they like a small shiner off the last break and up into two feet of water.

Pike are hitting smaller cranks trolled in 4-6 feet of water.

Sheephead (I don't care, they are fish and I want to catch them) are hitting crawlers in 7-8 feet of water on bright jigs.

Bullheads are smacking castfish dough bait in the canal mouths.

Perch are in 11-12 feet of water taking small fathead minnows jigged.

Has anyone had a hard time catching walleyes up there?

We had a great trip last year Memorial weekend.

I plan to go after crappies and Northern like JP said and expect to get our limit of walleyes without targeting them, am I right?

Oh, and I will try at least one Sheepshead this year.

At times our boat went 10 minutes without a walleye.

Unacceptable! grin.gif

I caught a 17" walleye on a 10" Jake crankbait trolled at 3mph , thought I snagged it but the hook was in its mouth.

Walleyes with a bluegill attitude. wink.gif