Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Powerstroke

Dog has red ring spots on belly/groin area

Powerstroke

I was going over my dog for ticks after a run in the field and I found he has 5 or 6 "spots" on his groin area. They are red. They have a very defined outer ring that is dark red, the inner area is red or pink and there is a small (Contact Us Please) of dark red in the center. They are mostly the size of a dime or slightly smaller. There are maybe 4 other spots that are much smaller like a pin head right nearby.

We just spent the weekend out near So. Dak and he ran non-stop in the fields and swam in the lake. He hasn't been scratching or otherwise paying mroe attention to the area. He is on heartgard and Frontline.

ANy thoughts? I will be going to the vet tomorrow unless I find out this is no big deal. He leaves for training this weekend and I hope it wouldn't keep him out of the kennel if he had a problem.

jbdragon17

My dogs all get the same exact thing. I am convinced they are bug bites from laying in the grass. I have never brought any of my dogs to the vet for this as they cleared up in a matter of a week. It never seemed to bother them either.

vetobe

I have been seeing a lot of pets with these lesions. The belief is that these are ant bites. The spot in the center is where the ant bites down and the outer red circle is where the ant spins around continually planting its stinger. They are typically found in the groin area where there is less hair. If they don't go away in the next 2-3 days, see your vet.

JPowell

Just had my dog in for heartworm and asked the same thing. They told me it was a type of ringworm contacted from the ground or dirty. it clears and passes on it's own.

JPowell

Just had my dog in for heartworm and asked the same thing. They told me it was a type of ringworm contacted from the ground or dirt. It clears and passes on it's own.

vetobe

If we are talking about the same lesions, I have to disagree with these lesions being ringworm. Ringworm (misnomer since it is a fungal infection and has nothing to do with worms) typically leaves the area bald. The lesions that I have seen on at least 10-15 dogs in the last 2-3 weeks have not been bald. The other reason I know that these are not ringworm is that ringworm does not go away as quickly as these lesions have.

Powerstroke

My vet said exactly the same thing as vetobe. I didn't take him in since they figured its bugs. I marked them with a sharpie to see if they grow. Half of them are almost gone already.

payed4

Just had my dog into the vet with the same sort of spots you guys are talking about. My vet told me that it was gnat bites and that they would go away on there own.

Woollman99

Payed4 is correct, they are gnat bites. You will notice round, dime size, red spots on the belly/groin areas of the dog. They will heal up and go away in a couple of days. Happens often this time of year.

killerloop1

I think they are gnats, I seen a bunch on my boys belly, and a few around his eye,, it's gotta be bugs

ctuma

My pup had the same spots and vet said they were knat bites and nothing to worry about.

ricbak

Glad I checked in here tonight, I noticed yesterday that my shorthair has 4 of these round red spots on her tummy and was considering taking her to the vet to be checked out. These spots are a bit smaller than a dime and don't seem to bother her and after just checking her again tonight they have lightened up abit. The gnats sure seem to be a bit worse around here this year.

fishroger

Had my pup up near Big Fork today. The gnats and flies were thick. Noticed the red spots on groin area. Didnt have them yesterday. He gets into lots of things , but I might agree with the bug theory.

deja vu

Quote:

I was going over my dog for ticks after a run in the field and I found he has 5 or 6 "spots" on his groin area. They are red. They have a very defined outer ring that is dark red, the inner area is red or pink and there is a small (Contact Us Please) of dark red in the center. They are mostly the size of a dime or slightly smaller.

The distinct red ring around the 'bite' area is a classic indication in humans of a 'bite' by a Blacklegged tick (deer tick), the Lyme Disease carrier. Have you had your dog tested for Lyme Disease, or vaccinated with the recently developed Lyme Disease vaccine?