• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just looking for any insight to how eveyone did on the opener, just got back into town. Whats the water temp at, could not believe how hot is was when we got back.

I went out on Waconia saturday afternoon and caught the skunk. I am new to Waconia... I mainly fish tonka, but I am trying to learn the lake. I haven't had much luck there. I was trying for pike tossing spinners, cranks, and big jig and plastics. I tried shallow weeds, deep weeds, and weed edges... nothing. I don't know what I did wrong, but I got spanked.

On the water at 5 a.m., air temp was 50 and water temp was 63.8. One 20" walleye on a jig and minnow. Could not keep the bass off!

Cupper,

I know some may argue with me, but Waconia isn't the best lake to fish for numbers of Pike. Every so often you can hook into a dandy there.

This time of year, I throw for them on the north side before the cabbage gets too high off bottom, outside the north reeds and the shallower areas of Reinke's reef.

Also, try outside the docks of Wagner's bay starting from the gravel access up to Harm's point.

I will not argue.

Most times we can't get an accidental pike on Waconia, but every year you see the dandy pike images at In-Towne from winter fishing. Maybe it is a quality versus quantity fishery, which isn't so bad I guess.

Im sure if you cast your lures for at least 4 to 6 hours out on the lake you should at least catch 3 pikes wouldnt you?

We opened on Waconia and did real well on the walleyes! we caught 14 for the end of the day total only two fish were under the slot the biggest was a 28 incher. It was a good opener for the Sealegs!!

Any new reports?

I will be out there tonight looking for the elusive Walter.

we were out last night and picked up 1 eye in about 11' just out of the wind. A few bites but no takers. Fished with fatheads and lindys

reef runner,

heading out for the first time tonight after dark, will be out in a green 18' lund fisherman. will try to report in the am. Have not heard alot of possitive from anyone that has been out yet.

Bumpin' this one up...any new reports? Going to try Waconia for the first time for an evening this week. Any tips?

Sunday evening 5/20, water temp 61.5. Two 17" walleyes on a jig and minnow. Bass are still a nuisance and a muskie chasing hooked fish. Got to love those rolling waves.

5/21

Hurry over the sheephead bite was hot!!! 1 Bass and finally left after the 8th sheephead.

Sounds like the drum run is on!! Can you blame them? They're getting anxious to spawn, don't let the word out, people will come from throughout the midwest to take advantage of this hot bite!

Seriously, Any size to those sheepies? Usually you're in the right ballpark if you start hooking em out there.

Fished on Sunday for 6 hours. One perch and lost one real big eye at the side of the boat. Couldn't seem to convince any other takers. I tried all depths and a bunch of the reefs. I was using leechs, crawlers and cranks, no minnows in the boat, maybe that would have worked.

Tried my first summer walleye fishing on Waconia this past sunday. Set out in the morning, landed boat, ran to marina to buy some minows, then headed to Andersons. As I was setting up my sons rod and reel, he said "I'm cold, I wanna go home". So, I called home and my wife came and got him. I stayed out for about twenty minutes longer, but I too was done in by the cold, so I headed home.

Later in the afternoon, I decided to try again, especially since I had a dozen shiners that would go to waste. Tried a few different spots. Shiner on spinner rig, shinner under slip bobber, and shad rap trolling, but couldnt get a bite. On my way out I gave the rest (minus 3) of my shiners to someone that was heading out to fish.

Being this is my first boat I'm finding that fishing aint like it was when I was a kid and fished with my dad. He knew how to do everything and I didnt have to know how.... Now I have to learn how to do it my self.

Last sheephead was in that 4-5 lbs range, thought I had a dandy eye, nice couple of runs, good head shake and then, another sheephead. that was enough, just wish I had the kids with to enjoy the fight.

Fished with my son last night from 8 to 10. One nice pike, a couple of perch and 2 drums all on a jig/leech.

Was out last night for a while with 2 of my friends on a couple different reefs in anywhere from 10 to 20 FOW. We managed to get 3 walleyes (2 20+ and 1 18-19), lots of sheepies, a nice group of big sunnies, and one perch. The leeches were hard to keep on the line but we managed the 3 walleyes on those. All the other fish in the spots liked them too. Lost some fatheads also. We were using jigs with glo red and chartreuse/green being the walleye producers with gold and white producing nothing but sheepies. We got a call while on the lake to come over to a dock on the lake and see a northern my buddies brother caught with a red eye spoon it was a bout 6 to 7 pounds nice looking fish. That went back in the water as did all of our fish except the walleyes. grin.gif

was out last night, 2 eyes 13" and a nice fat 19". Tough fishing. Lake was like glass, don't see that very often.

Was out last night...three drums and a couple of perch. If anyone had any success with the walleyes, I'd love to tell you about what not to do; in exchange for some insight.

toomuchfun?

Just wanted to say thanks for your post, i think those types of posts are just great, for those of us at work, it was great to relive your experience and you gave great information with out giving up any secrets. That to me is just a fantastic post. thank you for sharing.

I used to fish Waconia a ton as a kid but now just about once a year as I usually go to the cabin on leech (I married well wink.gif ) But I always loved fishing out there and never knowing what was going to be on the end of the line when fishing those reefs. Anyways, thanks again for the info and good luck to you...

I caught limit of walleyes today out on Waconia... I have some hot spots saved in my GPS, so, I just gotta go from one spot to the others... Spend the time and money and learn how to catch these fish on there... It is worth it.!

any new reports out there, heading out tonight after work

I saw a 14 inch Crappie CPRed last night.

Wow it looked huge.

We were only able to get a few 14 inch bass with some spinner baits.

I forgot to mention the 16 inch minimum on Walleyes on Waconia and with the statewide 1 over 20 inches that means that Waconia does have kind of the slot feel to it. 16 to 20 inches and 1 over 20 those are some nice fish though. I had to verify it with the DNR and thats the way it is.

cool.gif

Last I heard the reefs were still producing I don't know what's going on now that the wind finally calmed down some today.

Thanks for the kind words about my report Tweeder.

Was out last night, fished from 7pm-12am, 1-12" walley 1 small bass and 2 sunfish, tough tough fishing, did not see another walley caught, to many fronts rolling thru maybe. Hopefully someone else is catching fish!!!

I was also out last night from 8 p.m. until 11. I caught a 15 - 16" bass around 8:45 and had another fish on around 9 or 9:15 and that was it. The lightning to the west almost chased me off but it stayed to the west and with the moon out is was a great night to be on the lake!

Was out tonight.. Caught a couple Bass, couple small eyes, a sunfish, and a bunch of sheephead (my first time catching them).