• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Making in boat coolers and live wells

I had a 60" livewell in my boat that I never use, so I cut it out and want to replace the space with storage, cooler and small livewell. I would like to use (I think) polypropolene. The question is where can I buy sheet stock of this stuff and what adhesive would I use. I am thinking about cutting datos in the sides to recieve the bottom and use some form of adhesive that would react to the material and for a lack of better terms, melt the joint together for a water tight seal. Any body try this or know if I am on the right track here?

I know were you can get sheet of polypropolene. Depending on the thickness of the sheet you want to get, it would cost as much $150 for a 1/2" thick sheet and as less as $40 for a 1/8" thick sheet. Each sheet is 48" x 96". Seelye Plastic in south Minneapolis is the company we buy plastics from. I hope this helps you out.

Aces,

Any idea on an adhesive that would work for this application? Thanks for the supplier info.

The adhesive part I wouldn't know too much about. I just order 16 pieces of Arclyic glass (Plexiglass) from Seelye and the way we get the glass together is to plastic weld them together. I am sure plastic welding would work with Polypropylene too. Maybe someone else would have an idea of what kind of adhesive would work best for that type of material.

There is really no glue/adhesive that bonds well to polypropylene. Check with some plastics suppliers and see what what type of plastic would work for what you want to do. Try also Goggling "bonding/gluing plastics and see what comes up.

StillFishin'

My experience matches StillFishin's. My ice fishing portable is made of polypro, and I have a crack in the bottom that no adhesive so far has been able to seal with a durable bond. For livewells, plastic seems to be the order of the day. You may simply be able to order a prefab livewell container to set into the opening from Cabela's or some other supplier, too.

catfish,

Tried the cabellas and other live well mfg's, sizes don't match the existing openings. How much is a plastic welder and is there a way to jerry rig something to make one?

Swen, you should be able to get a plastic cement at any hardware store that will, like that old-time model airplane glue, "melt" the plastic a bit to form a bond. I've also used the product "liquid plastic" with good results. Same line of products as "liqud steel."

If it was me, I would use plywood or foam covered with fiberglass cloth and resin from the auto parts department or from west marine. Treated or marine plywood would be best of course. Or that pink foam, if the resin doesn't eat it.

If I were to undertake such a project I would check with an aluminum welding shop and see just how much it would cost to have them fabricate one for me. It may be much cheaper in the long run. confused.gif

You then could line the cooler part with closed cell foam.

Cliff

Glues the melt plastic won't work with polypropylene or polyethylene for that mater as they do not melt or dissolve in any solvent.

One idea would be to look for a cooler one that would fit and work for the live well part of the project. At least it would hold water and probably have a drain in it. Then work around it with other stuff as suggested above.

One other suggestion would be to use lots of those "zip ties" to mechanically hold that sides together. Or use aluminum "angle iron" for the corners and pop rivet the plastic sheets to them. It won't hold water but maybe that's OK for the non-livewell portion of the project.

Sounds like you may have to put this project off until next winter or you'll not have time to go fishing this year!

good luck

StillFishin'

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I think a few of you are right about going with the aluminum route. I always seem to start a project without all the details in place, kind of a design as you go concept. It has got to be the Norsky in me. grin.gif