• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mille Lacs on opener- there are some weirdo's out there~

Walleye_king

I'd go ask the guy with the swollen finger if he needed some help flicking that booger off his finger.

What a dope.

That's the same coordinated fella that rolls up the windows and locks the doors with one hand while he dials 911 with the other on his cell phone, bakes a loaf of bread in his britches with his butthole, and watches as someone walks up to ask him what all the hollering is about.

I myself have just returned to fishing now that the kids are out of HS, and I am down running around the country watching them play in sports. So far this open water season, I have launched and loaded the boat like a pro, and like a 1st timer, sometimes on the same day. We all have good days and bad days, but if you think I am being slow, and flip me off, you are going to learn an entire new definition of the word S L O W. I may not always be the fastest and the landing, but I make every attempt to do what I can so we all can go out on the lake. Let's all just relax, and enjoy the time out on the water.

Quote:

That's the same coordinated fella that rolls up the windows and locks the doors with one hand while he dials 911 with the other on his cell phone, bakes a loaf of bread in his britches with his butthole, and watches as someone walks up to ask him what all the hollering is about.

grin.gif Can I send the doctor bill for my busted gut to your place UJ? grin.gif THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!

I have no problems with people who are "rookies" at backing up and getting the boat launched. I do not like to sit and wait while they are on the ramp loading their gear, poles, lunches, etc into the boat. Do that stuff before it is your turn. As much as I love to fish, I can wait the extra couple of minutes. The fish are still going to be there!!

Last summer we pulled into the east access on Lake Alexander. We got out and got the boat ready to put into the water. They guy in front of us was having some trouble backing into the water, as you have to back down a little hill, and it can cause problems. Well, he is yelling at his buddy that they need to hurry up and get out of our way. Don't know why, cause we were standing around waiting, one guy was in the bathroom. Anyways.....the buddy unhooks the boat (a brand new Pro-V) from the trailer, and when they hit the hill..........yup, the boat slides of the trailer and smacks the concrete. Now we have a real problem. Had to help the guys get the boat back on the trailer, inspect for damage, and then try once again to relaunch the boat. I told them to take their time and no need to hurry. We all pay alot of money for our rigs, and there is nothing that should make us hurry that much where something might happen to it. I think he was pretty relieved. Took them a few more minutes to get the boat in the water, but then they were off. No harm, no foul. I have even had a couple of guys offer to back me into the water when I have been fishing by myself. That is the way it should be.........nothing to be in a hurry about. Trust me....after being in Iraq for 16 months stright, there is nothing to be in a hurry about! grin.gif

I was at cedar public landing on the east side of mille Lacs last saturday and was having trouble launching my boat in the shallow water. It was my first time trying to launch by myself (usually i have another person with me who is more experianced in launching boats). I was getting very frustrated with trying to get it off the trailer in the shallow water and a guy came down from his truck in line and helped me out. I didn't get his name but if he is reading this thanks for your help.

It's nice every once in a while when people do this. If only more would get out of their vehicles and take a minute to help, instead of honking their horn and using every word in the dictionary!!!

Let's everyone learn from this example of helping others grin.gif

I always offer to help; it seems to be just second nature in what ever hobby you are in. From demo derby, to dirt track racing, fishing to hunting. Lending a helping hand when another fellow hobbyist is in trouble is one of the unsung gratifying experiences that come with the territory.

If someone is taking longer than expected at launch, I will automatically go and ask if help is needed. Most times they say no, but once and awhile they do need help. I was schooled on the art of launching and loading boat at Karpons sunset bay resort (now Appledorns) by Joe Karpon him self. It was the most intimidating thing at first. You would dock boat, go and get help for loading (witch when you were new was nerve racking at times), motor boat out and wait in line until you would hear tractor coming with your trailer on it, watch as they backed tractor in, motor boat up to trailer and pray to god you were lined up (large waves did not help), People loading up were always yelling (over noise of tractor and waves) and then ride in you boat back to your fish house were you hopped out and unhooked your trailer from tractor. Unloading and loading your trailer once or twice a day, 6 to 8 times a weekend, on almost every weekend during season for 8 years, ya kind of got it down to a science. Joe Karpon was an intimidating guy at first, but after getting to know him he was a very nice man. Joe would help you untill you could launch or load in under 30 seconds.

Helping your fellow fisherman, hunter, some one at a classic car show or what ever, is just part of doing the hobby. I learned most of the things I like to do as a hobby, from someone else that were doing the same hobby for many years. I pass this one in what ever I do. Not everyone has to do this, just people who enjoy doing it.

Just my two cents, take it or leave it! Have a great day!

SHACKBASH

I didn't think Mille Lacs was that hectic at all. I was staying at a cabin so I wasn't having to repeat a public boat ramp launching over and over so maybe that is a reason for my different perspective.

For the person who drove by and couldn't imagine fishing with all those other boats... you missed out on some great fishing. I will say this... people do tend to pack fish and this habit tends to be worse on Mille Lacs. Yesterday, my friends and I limited out on keepers in quick order, with only a couple other boats in site. As we motored back, we passed by a spot that had two boats when we went out but now was bursting with 30+ rigs. That was Mille Lacs parasite pack fishing at its best.

This situation is really funny when the fish move to the flats. There might be 10 flats with not a single boat on them and another that will have 40-50 rigs fishing away. When I see too many boats, I head to a different spot.

Interesting discussion on the boat landings. Everyone has to do it for the first time at some point. After they master it, people forget how challenging it can be for beginners. For me, it never pays to get frustrated with stuff like this. I guess my memories of my own first couple years of boat ownership keep me from doing that.

Just yesterday, I was snickering to myself as a guy fretted over pulling his brand new rig out of the water. It was about ONE CENTIMETER off and he was debating re-launching it. I was next. I can't remember the last time I needed more than one run at trailering my boat. Yet, somehow magically it took me THREE times to get it on straight. How stupid would I have looked if I had said something to that new boat owner? It isn't worth it. In the end everyone will feel better if they just help each other.

I do see the point on the guys that decide to load their boat, or unload it as they are parked in the launching lane. That isn't excused for being new. That is just common sense that everyone should have.

I hear you Schnauzer, As a lifelong boat owner, I never get real comfortable until a few trips out with launching and loading my boat. Having a newer boat for only the second season, makes me more nervous than usual. I definitely will take a moment to comment to myself on someone "doing it wrong" but usually think twice about saying something because the kharma will ensure you screw something up when its your turn. blush.gif

I only had to use two tries to get my boat on the trailer at Appledorn's tongue.gif It was a little nerve wracking and why were they taking pictures? Paul?