Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NC2

Heading to Woody's in 5 days - need help!

21 posts in this topic

Heading to Rainy for the first time on Saturday. Going to stay on American side at Woody's. Is the lake well marked? We fish walleyes & smallies but like pike as well. Any thoughts or tips are much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

NC2

Quote:

Is the lake well marked?

Yes and no. The navigational routes are well marked but most fishing spots are obviously not within those routes.

The rule for following the red and green markers is "right of red on return". When you leave Woody's going north or east you will be going "up" the lake staying to the left of the red markers. When returning to Woody's stay to the right.

The lake is also low which both reveals some of the rocks that are invisible at normal levels but also gets your lower unit closer to new underwater hazards.

If you don't already have a lake map the best maps are available up here at the local bait shops. I would strongly advise buying a set. Woody or his staff can mark some areas for you to fish on the map and it will also show you some, not all, the shallow areas.

At least one boater took out the stern drive on a 23' boat Saturday so use caution.

Thanks! My brother in law has the GPS w/ the lake map and we also have the hot spots physical map. I think we will be fine on most areas where there is lots of travel. Probably drop the trolling motor when we get to unknown areas. Fish still pretty shallow right now?

Just to clarify and no offense meant but the rule is red right returning (not right of red)which means you keep the can on your right(Starboard side) of your boat when going upstream. It does not means going on the right of the red can which will get you into trouble.. Of course it always helps to know which way the water is flowing.

Duckster

Okay, I'm from Iowa so I may be slow but.....When I leave Woody's and head East/North (Away from I:Falls), I should keep the red on which side?

Nevermind. I think I understand

If you are going east towards Kettle Falls, you are going upstream. So keep the red can on your right. sorry that I confused you.

duckster

HI,

EASIEST WAY TO REMEMBER...

R.R.R. WHICH IS RIGHT OF RED WHEN RETURNING, SO GOING FROM KETTLE FALLS TO THE FALLS...YOU STAY TO THE RIGHT OF THE RED MARKERS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

I know this is a tough question, but generally how far do you have to travel from Woody's before you get to some good fishing? I know some days it's off the dock and others it's 100 miles. Just curious if 15 - 20 minutes in a boat w/ 115HP will be "close".

Thanks and any other advice is welcome!!!

HI N.C.2,

I KNOW PARTIES WHO CAUGHT FISH A BLOCK FROM WOODYS TO WHERE I WAS 8 TO 12 MILES FORM WOODYS. ALL DEPENDS ON THE WEATHER WHERE THE FISH WILL BE, IF YOU CAN READ MAP OR HAVE A CHIP, YOU SHOULD DO WELL.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

NC2,

If you aren't confused by now, you are better man than me.

With all due respect to the Fishmeister and Uffda, I don't believe they explained red right return correctly. Red, right, return means to keep the red bouy on your right going upstream, you will actually be on the left side of the can as you are looking at it. There is no OF in the pharse.

I would suggest getting a rule book and looking it up. I don't mean to be argumentative but I would hate to see you hit something.

Duckster

HEY DUCKSTER,

NO PROBLEM, I GUESS ITS ALL HOW YOU HAD EXPLAINED. JUST REMEMBER-WHEN HEADING EAST-KEEP YOUR BOAT ON THE LEFT OF THE RED- WHEN HEADING WEST-KEEP YOUR BOAT ON THE RIGHT OF THE RED....OR HIRE A LAWYER & HE WILL TELL YOU WHAT SIDE YOU SHOULD BE ON, HE CAN ALSO KEEP YOU STRAIGHT ON THE REGULATIONS ON THE U.S. & CANADIAN SIDE........LOL. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Woody or some of the guides hanging around there can give you places close to fish, usually you can catch fish on the reefs and under the bridge right at Woodys. Ask Woody tell him Dock sent you. Good fishing

Thanks for all of the help. I believe I understand, but will confirm w/ Woody!!! Also, any suggestions on where to eat while we are up there? We do some cooking but we enjoy checking out local places as well.

Stopping at Cabela's on the way up, if you had $30 - $50 to spend for Rainy, besides a map, what would it be? I have 2 of everything under the sun, but 3 never hurts!

HI NC2,

GEE, LET ME THINK....AH-HARDEES.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

My neighbor, Barb, said it best: Keep the "green can" between you and Canada.

Berng

Quote:

My neighbor, Barb, said it best: Keep the "green can" between you and Canada.

Berng

That's probably the best advise. There are places where it won't work but for 99% of the U.S. side it's a good way to think about it.

Wish I knew what that meant confused.gif

Here's what it means.

If you are fishing Minnesota, you will intuitively know which chunk of shore is Minnesota, and thus which chunk is Canada. Keep the green can between you and Canada.

Berng

blush.gif Thanks for the clarification. Heading out tomorrow morning! Thanks again for everyone's help/advice. I do appreciate it.

Quote:

blush.gif
Thanks for the clarification. Heading out tomorrow morning! Thanks again for everyone's help/advice. I do appreciate it.

Just how many Norwegians does it take to make this clear?

Answer: TOO MANY!!