• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

why is nest lake choking itself out?

mid may and it's a mess and smells!

A) natural process.

B) runoff issues.

C) this is what the fishermen and landowners want.

D) I don't care

E) all of the above.

Landowners mowing to shore,mowed grass=nitrogen,fertilizer,It's mostly lakeshore owners,no shore cover no filter zone,lake shore weeds gone submerged weeds gone! Don't blame it on the farms if it was them think about it!It would have been that way long ago! All the roofs concrete trampled ground,no absorbsion lots of run off! frown.gif

is it reversible? we have it in new london too. weeds in the bays and thu out the river. when the ski team practices the city rakes it out of the dam im sure it also run thru the crow into nest too?

They have been raking weeds out from the dam for many years.

When the dam was rebuilt the river part below changed, and not for the better.

All the home owners want a pretty yard. So they pour chemicals on it, 1/2 of it gets washed into the lake.

Its reversible! But only when the property owners stop messin with mother nature!Nature has a was of replenishing itself.But the biggest help would be owners leaving a no mow zone! the county has finally made this a new rule for new lake shore development no clearing 37 & 1/2 feet above high water unfortunitly its too late! I do believe the DNR will soon step in and force owners to help clean our lakes by leaving a buffer zone,I dont think this will happen untill owners are forced to do it. The clean water act has been effect for over 30 years and only now are we testing lakes and finding out the majority are impaired waters,on their way to polluted waters!! Man made progress??? NO Man made deterioration!!

For many years (prior to about 1985) New London only killed the bacteria in their sewage, and then it went into the crow. That along with many many acres of ag runoff from upstream on the crow has done it. We also had a warm few days which added to the algae bloom and smell. The water is warmer than it usually is at this time of the year which enhances algae growth. We used to treat the algae with Copper Sulfate which would make the lake very clear for a few weeks in the summer. I remember when it would look like someone had spread green latex paint on the surface of the TOTAL lake on a still day in July. I do believe that most homeowners are now using phosphate free fertilizer.

See MrD people wont take responcibility for there own actions!! Blame it on the farmers!!The only way lake property owners will take and shoulder their own responcilibity is when the DNR steps in and forces them!! until then plan on having impaired waters only to soon be classified as polluted.Why is it always sombody elses fault!!

wcmchaser, What is New London doing to the sewage now? There once was a treatment area west of town. As for ag run off it has be from New London down to nest lake. As mud lake seems even cleaner now then it was 20 yrs ago. At that there are not that many farm places between the 2 areas. That puts back to lake owner need to help. Also check the new sewer requirements the county has put into place. They made some Norway lake home owners install new sewage systems. When the systems they had were better than the new systems.

well, there will be a point of no return when those owning land on the lake can not resell their property. if you are door step to door step and the kids and grandkids can't enjoy swimming. you have a spendy view that may not sell for what ya want in 15-20 years.THEN the city will get pissy when the prop. values stagnates or declines. fewer owners when the boomers are gone. ~just a thought~ nothing hapens with out action.

A new sewage treatment plant was built about 10 years ago northeast of NL. By the way, I'm finding a few nice crappies out there....

I think that with most of nest Lake property having steep banks and highway run off etc that the lake gets everything within 1/4 to 3/8 mile dumped into it with high pressure after rains.

Also with almost constant weed cutting after they start{lake owners association it becomes a hydroponic regrowth tool for many things that may not have seetled and may not have had a chance at rootin[these plants may have transfered downstream to the now much clearer Green Lake.

Have been in the creek going upto new London from west end of Nest and it hasnt changed in years but they say sediment after old fish trap has almost shut this area off.So why is this area that used to be dry land changing back to dry land?And if it does hold sediment maybe its better to have it naturally pooled their.

Out from Kochs it used to be ground,more years ago than I remember but have seen plot on a 22 acre property that is now only a strip of a point with 21 acres staying submerged and now reverting back to dry.

Sparcebag,this filling in is probaly natures way of reverting and solving.

or

Its time for somebody to build a dike acrooss that end and speed up what used to be a natural filter coming from the river,its barely 1 foot deep all the way across west end.Harry wrote on it hes 70 years old and says that its a problem ,if you dont know him hes this part of the countys premier problem trapper and sees this as the worst change hes seen in our areas environment of all.

Mr D. call him and pick his mind and some solution will be found.

All comes down to the same,its just Belgrade flowing in and when the wind blows we get North Dakota also.

Jiggin if I'm not mistaken Newlondon,Spicer,& Green lake are all now hooked up to the new treatment plant located east of Green lake south of Calhoun,thats what I've read anyway.Now Florida is connected with Henderson residents asking to get a line in also.So maybe when Florida does'nt greatly improve,they'll decide Gods doin it!Along with the farmers!!

New London's sewage is now pumped north and east to the treatment facility which is up by Long Lake off of 23

Curly leaf pond weed which is cut by the cutter and/or naturally breaks off and falls off regrows by fragmentation. Not sure on the coontail. Those are the two most prevelant vegetation in the lake. The highway run off doesn't make sense yet as a contributor, for 2 reasons...1) the new 4 lane hasn't been there for much more than a year and the problem has been there for 30 years, and 2) the new highway is on the "downside" of the lake (water runs east) so doesn't get back to the main lake to contribute to polution.

wmchaser,I know you have been on lake for years so we are gonna need imput on this issue of weed chokeout.

what was lake like before the weed cutting started?and is it better or are their more concentrated growths now?

Nest Lake is almost totaly surrounded by a steep bank with a tar road nearly if not all the way around it.Even if the new highway is present it always had tar on the old highway and all items going into lake do travel throughout even if current goes one direction.

It seems to be a natural occurence that it natures holding pond for everything anyone including nature throws at it from the entrance on northwest corner and from all sides from steep bank.

Do you think that if remnants of carp trap were removed that some pressure would be releived and things coming in from that end wouldnt explode as they go though metal trap?

I just feel that continuous plant harvesting also lets anything new coming in get a chance to grow .

I know behind our house they took out a low grassland covered with mature trees that is in watershed when highway was rebuilt and it wasnt in any plans.Its now 40 to 60 feet higher and dumps into nest threw a culvert when before it settled in my backyard.Their are zero trees where their were hundreds and it took two seasons to get run off repaired,we fixed problem 4 times as road contractor failed in promises as did the property owner in repair.

How many new occurences are their that change when roads ,housing ,etc are added?Someone told us that about a dozen or more 2 to 10 acre changes were made that as construction went on they all were not in any study.Being they spread them out that no groups of complaints came all at once and this just {naturally ]is allowable.We even had Mn. pollution control at our site and they metered toxins etc. and debris not allowable to be moved or buried.

The thing is besides runnoff from all around this lake is just being pounded by new occurences.

More info

thanks

my two cents worth! time for the federal goverment to do a study on the effects a set of regulateed dams . maybe congress? castindad

They already did a study on the dams.If you have recently read anything about it their removing dams around the state!But here again home owners are opposed to droping water levels on their lakes,I can see why their opposed,most dams were built in the early 1900s and the consistant water levels are hard to part with.The lake I live on the dam is dated 1928 CCC project if it were removed lake would drop 5 ft.and by summers end probably another 3-5 ft.from evaporation That would leave me walking 3 blocks to shore.

Sparcebag, You could haul in some black dirt and start farming.

Come Aug.I've seen no water off dock to two ft.When its real dry the ole girl has tried flowers down there some grew!I could farm greenslime most summers!Sell it as organic pressed kelp UMMM now thats an idea.

did i hear nice crappies ? ill be moving to the area and have a 14foot boat and would like to explore new london area, the river, mud, and mongolia, mainly in search of crappies and pike but i mostly night fish with my boat or from shore any tips on where i could start out, ill be buzy moving , and am currently looking for a rental or possibly to but but i must move soon so id have to rent for abit, if anyone knoiws of a 3bed+w double wide garage, id be more than interested [email protected], oh and a 18 inch crappie would be nice