Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
shinde

Lowrance H20c and sunlight - any tips?

Question

shinde

Upgraded from my old global-nav, first time using in the boat today. Love the unit with the lakemaster chip, but is awful tough to read on the water with sunglasses on. Have light on, contrast and brightness adjusted. Any other tips? The old black and white seemed easier to read in the sunlight.

14 answers to this question

mnvikingsfreak

take the sunglasses off? thats what I do

Metzie

I have to hold mine in my hand to see it. mad.gif

fishinalot

I was just going to buy a H20. By the sounds of it, am I better off with the black/white Vs the Color? I would think the batteries would last longer in the black/white.

stick

I had the same debate and am VERY pleased with going with the black/white H2O. The battery life is awesome, and visibility isn't an issue. I recommend it for performance reasons, not to mention, $100 less (or so).

Ralph Wiggum

I don't think I would like it nearly as much if I had the B&W version. Color is the only way to go for me.

iffwalleyes

Use the back light and stay with color. I will not own another black and white unit much better detail with color. I only have color display units in my boat now. With that said it is tough to see the screen with out using the backlight I haven't found a way around not using it.

rtwills

they have hoods on ebay for graphs.cost about 10.00 and fold up and double as a screen protector.made of neoprene i believe.

Hookmaster

If your sunglasses are polarized then you need to be looking straight at the screen or else some of the polarization in your sunglasses will start interfering with the polarization in the gps screen. I returned my H2OC because of the readability in sunlight, either direct or indirect. I did a side-by-side comparison with the H2OC and H2O. The H2O was better. I use mine mostly in the boat and have to be able to see it when the sun is shining.

Slyster

I have the Garmin 76CSX and WOW.. the brighter the sun the brighter the screen! Better compare both brands outside in the sun before you buy!

Farley

I went with B&W and am happy with it. Didnt think the color was worth $100 more. Shows the same info.

Ralph Wiggum

Quote:

I went with B&W and am happy with it. Didnt think the color was worth $100 more. Shows the same info.

You also get 4 more satellites (16 for the H2Oc versus 12 for the H2O). tongue.gif

Farley

But it shows the same info doesnt it?

Once I get to a piece of structure I go off my depth finder. The B&W H2O gets me there no problem.

Maybee navigating at night it would be nice to have 4 more sattelites, instead of 30 feet of error you'd have what, 25? It's a gamble either way and I try to stay way more than 30 feet from marked rocks and such anyway.

Ralph Wiggum

Yeah, you're right. I really got ripped off paying for the color feature.

Some people use greyscale graphs, too, but I will never go back to grey after using a color unit. I feel the same way about GPS. I think the color is great and well worth the price.

archer59

If you want the batteries to last longer you can alway set the refresh rate to a longer interval.

Nick