Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerhad

Man on foot. looking for shoreline...

7 posts in this topic

I just moved to St. Cloud/Sauk Rapids last week. I'm looking to do some fishing on lakes or the rivers (within a 30 minute drive). Looking for some panfish tonight. I have waders but no boat. Any suggestions on where to get to the water. I'm finding it hard to get to the water on the river/lakes by foot. I did go to Little Rock Lake yesterday and fished under 10 bridge but had no luck. Looking forward to your replies. My wife really wants a fish fry this weekend. smile.gif Thanks guys!

Last year I had some good luck on the Mayhew lake access, but haven't been out there this year yet. There is a park that runs along the lake by the boat landing. I heard they are catching crappies right now by the access. They aren't the biggest ever but there is a few nice ones in there. Theres usually quite a few people down there though.

Good luck and hope you get some.

thanks for the tip! I checked it out this morning. not much luck (2 northern) but there was a lot of boats being launched. the water was pretty shallow. next time i'll try a not so busy day.

A great place to fish from shore is St. John's University (west of St. Cloud on I94). Lots of little lakes with plenty of shore access. Lots of sunfish, crappies and bass in these lakes. I make a trip out there every spring for some sunfish action. Lots of little ones to sort through but a 3 or 4 hour trip usually yeilds a hundred sunfish or more with a limit of keeper/eaters.

Sweet bass fishin out in the St. Johns area lakes as well grin.gifgrin.gif

I don't know if they're still in there, but the channel on the south of Big Spunk typically holds some crappies this time of year.

Achman north of SJU can be decent for small pike from shore, so can the bridge on Stumpf lake on the SJU campus-run an in-line spinner off the bridge on either side.

Quarry park holds a lot of smaller fish and the occasional trout-although rare.

Don't forget about the dam near scsu. Good luck.

THANKS Y'ALL!!! I've been out to a few more places and found a few here and there. I appreciate all of the help. It gives me more reasons to get out and enjoy the outdoors.