Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucketmouth64

dehumidifier

6 posts in this topic

My dehumidifier is not working right. The grill is frosting up completely and no water is accumulating. Last season the auto shut off wasn't working properly so the tank would overflow. Is it time for a new one? Any suggestions? One last question, do I need to run one with central air? Basement is finished.

It may need a good cleaning.

your basement is still a bit cold(at the floor) to properly run a dehummer most of the time if you set it on a table or run a board across the laundry tub, if ya have one. and get it off the floor it shouldnt freeze up on ya. but it is also a good idea to clean them out at least every other year. if ya can pull the cabinet off of them and give the coils a good blow out, they will run better and more effieciently. same goes for your air conditioners, both window and central. give them a good cleaning for best operation. as far as dehummers go i have seen some guys make a hanger right above the laundry tub in the basement. and hang them close to the ceiling it is much warmer and more humid as well and they let them dripinto the tubs. never have to empty the bucket. btw the water they do pull out of the air that ends up in the buckets is great for your house plants. ... paul

I have the same problem in early spring when the basement is still pretty chilly. Some dehumidifiers do work better at colder temps. I would think your problem is the temperature.

I took it apart and everything is pretty clean. The problem I have noticed is when it frosts up it doesn't engage in the melting process so water can drain into the bucket. Frost just keeps building up from the bottom to the top. I can turn the dial and the melting will commence. Temp. in my basement is about 65-68, is that too cool for it to run?

You may need ot work with the adjustment. I can tell when I walk in the basement if the humidy is up or down so I adjust as needed. I also have a big family room downstairs and have a fan blowing air around just for circulation. My biggest problem is that the dehumidifer works so hard that it generates a lot of heat and makes the basement warm as a result. I'd like to find a dehumidifer that would vent to the outside; in my mind I have an idea to make a cowling and hook it up to the dryer vent pipe but I haven't had the time to make it happen.