Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mhedlund

pan fish in the St. Louis river bay?

3 posts in this topic

I am planning to fish the bay on Sat and will have a buddy and his 2 young sons with me for a couple hours. Any idea where I might look for some sunnies or crappies or other semi-steady action for the youngens? I would like them to have some fun and want to fish more. I was planning on launching under the high bridge.

Thanks

First, the weather this weekend may be real iffy for the bay. I believe the prediction is for northwest winds, which means off lake breezes and the bay gets rough real fast, just what you don't want with two small kids. The next thing I'd do, given good weather the kids would enjoy, is to troll bottom bouncers and spinners on the flats for walleyes. You should look for about 5'-7' of water, either the flats between the Bong and the ore docks or by Barkers. Go where the boats are, I think you'd find walleye fishing more consistent and you'd be catching bigger fish. If I were looking for crappies, I'd hit Kimballs Bay or that area, the bays hold crappies, but they can be somewhat tricky to find. For a little later on in the season, it's not open yet, try for smallmouth using bobbers and minnows or worms right under the fishing pier by the Blatnik. The area where the boardwalk takes the corner turn works good for this, easy with kids and you don't need a boat.

The back bays where the panfish are are next to imposible to get into at certain times of day. Especially if you dont know where your going. On another note Musky Hunter said look for other boats. I suggest you stay away from other boats and find your own fish. Nothing ruins a day faster than having a decent bite going and someone seeing this and ancjoring in your trolling pass or fishing on top of you.

This year the fish will be congragated in areas due to low water.

If you arent familiar with the river you better take your time. Miss a turn by 1' and you could be getting a new lower unit. Im taking off my stainless and putting on my aluminum and I know the river.