• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

It's been a day. As of 17:00 The Trail from Iron Lake on up is under mandatory evacuation. From Poplar Lake Fire Hall to Iron Lake is under precautionary evacuation. We may be next. What does one say at a time like this? More later.

We are all praying and hoping for you, your friends, family and for RAIN! Stay strong and know that there are lots of people to help get you and yours back on your feet.

Keep the faith and be safe! Do you know the status of Gunflint Lodge, Moosehorn Lodge...?

Gunflint, I hope everything is OK with the area where you are... I heard tonight the fire has headed back towards gunflint lake and evacuation was as far down as trail center. Hope everyone there is safe! Have you heard anything regarding Voyageurs canoe outfitters at the end of the trail? Mike is a distant cousin of my wifes... I know they were at staying at Gunflint lodge, at least until tonite when that was evacuated too. Hopefully, the weather will give us some kind of break here soon!

Got a call yesterday morning from A Ashland friend on the Bong Bridge. Dave Pergowlski of Ashland with a crew of 20 gettin' to the St Louis Co Garage to gear up for the fight. Good Luck WI Boyz!!

This ones a Tinder Box..... Go crew!!

Rain...Heavy...

As of last night around 9pm, the evacuation line was from the Greenwood Lake Road to the end of the trail. This is the latest info:

Date:

Fri, 05/11/2007 - 5:00am

Description:

Due to the Ham Lake Fire, a CAUTIONARY EVACUATION is ordered. The CAUTIONARY EVACUATION applies to the area along the Gunflint Trail between the Gunflint Trail Fire Department - Poplar Lake Hall (7401 Gunflint Trail) and Swamper Lake.

This CAUTIONARY EVACUATION applies to all roadways off the Gunflint Trail, and to roadways off of those roadways. Excluding the Lima Grade, south of the Bow Lake intersection.

I live at Devils Track, and the smoke was thick last night, with ash falling everywhere. Things are definetly crazy up here. The wind is a little calmer this morning, and the wind has switched so that I can't see or smell the smoke. This is going to be a tough year for everyone up the trail, so keep them in your thoughts. As for Gunfint, I hope your ok.

To Gunflint, FStalker and anyone else up on the trail:

The thoughts and prayers of our family are with you all. I'm sure many of you and your neighbors are tired of the smoke, the uncertainty, and the cameras getting shoved in front of your noses.

Let it rain. Let it rain.

Just a quick note as we're all kind of tired. Spent the night in Silver Bay but we're back at the lodge now. I still have to run back to town tonight to pick up the boat (tomorrow is opener after all) This is a heck of a mess up here but the people that live and work up here are survivors and I'm proud to call them my neighbors.

Don't belive everything that you see or read about the devistation up here. It's serious but not total. Good luck tomorrow. gunflint

Thanks for the updates Gunflint. We all have to remember to do our part and continue to frequent the lodges on the trail after the fires are out. A few areas of burnt trees won't stop me from getting up to one of the most beautiful areas of the country. This fire combined with $3.29 + gas will have an impact on the lodges in the area. Hang in there and God Bless.

Just left Northern Light Lake, Ontario this morning. The Northern Light Lake Road is closed for incoming traffic up where the road turns to gravel near Whitefish Lake. Red Sucker Bay on Sag was being evacuated on Friday. Northern Light Resort and camps are being evacuated today. Edge of the fire was about seven miles SE of Red Pine Camp on NL Lake late last night. Fire crews moved into NL Resort on Friday, setting sprinklers up on Icarus camps today, to do the same on NL Resort and camps soon. Traveled many miles by quads with my son since last Sunday following this giant, a lot of that ground is now scorched. This monster is growing at a very dangerous and alarming rate. I'll try to get some pictures posted later on from last week.

Northern Light Lake is about 30" below last last spring's level. About 6" down from last October. Never seen it this low or this dry so early.

GoNorth

post-38414-1178800521_thumb.jpg

post-38414-1178800671_thumb.jpg

post-38414-1178800733_thumb.jpgpost-38414-1178800778_thumb.jpg

post-38414-1178800584_thumb.jpg

i took these pics off of the south gunflint lake road, wednesday may 9th

Wow, thanks for the updates. I was wondering if the shift in wind direction would blow the fire in on itself, but I guess it just blew it over some other areas. For those of you who live up there, good luck and god bless...

For those who haven't heard. Until further notice all USFS campgrounds on the Gunflint trail are closed. The "End of the Trail" and Iron Lake campground are gone. All entry points into the BWCAW from the Gunflint and Arrowhead trails are also closed.

The good news is that the road block and mandatory evacuation point has been move north 5 miles to the Voyagers Point road.

It is raining in Babbitt now (3 a.m.), I hope it is doing the same in the Gunflint Trail Area.

So far we've received enough rain to keep the dust down. A lot of lightning though.

Hey Gunflint. Can you update on some of the places that may have burned down? Campgrounds, lodges? How is Sag store? Thanks for any info, and hope all ends soon up there. Junky...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

hard way, thanks for the pics and Gunflint thanks for the updates. I hope this ends soon. Stay safe up there.

The Sag store was still standing but the outfitting business across the road is gone. VCO lost some staff housing buildings. Seagull outfitters is still there. Seagull Creek Fish Camp ( Mike Berg) lost some small boats but his buildings and guide boats are ok.

End of the Trail Campground and Iron Lake Campground are gone. 9 properties on the north side of Gunflint lake are gone. The businesses on South Gunflint Road are still standing. All of these are rumors but should be fairly accurate. The fire is still very much alive and any of these updates can change.

Thanks Gunflint. Hope everything is OK in your neck of the woods, and that this thing gets under control soon.

Thanks for the info Mark. I'm really at a loss for words right now. I've had some awesome times in that area. Please keep us informed when you get a chance. Thanks again. Junky..

Does anyone know if they are allowing people to access lakes such as Northern Light, West Bearskin, and Greenwood? The Supperior National Forest website still says thet are closed, but the fire isn't too close to Greenwood or Northern Light. I am hoping to get out on some of those lakes this coming weekend.

Thanks

winterse

The reason that they're closed is in case the fire jumps the line. They don't want to waste resources by having to chase people out of the woods. On the other hand, our guests (mid-trail) have been fishing since opener.

Gunflint,

Any idea how the cabins were affected on West Pope? My Aunt's is on the south-west side of the lake, closest to the fire edge!

I completely understand the reasons for closing the lakes and that is why I would not be at all surprised if West Beaskin as well as the other lakes near there would still be closed; however, Greenwood and Brule River/Northern Light are quite a ways from the fire and in my opinion should be open for day use. Again I understand why they may not want people in there overnight, but day use seems very reasonable to me.

Gunflint be safe. And evoryone that this fire has touched. I just hope that the fire doesn't go east into the blowdown area. Good Luck.

I found a recent news release on the DNR site.

Ham Lake Fire Update 5-15-07 (2007-05-15)

American aerial and ground resources are being utilized in a unified effort with Canadian forces. The American operation is being managed by Paul Broyles' Type 1 National Incident Management Team (IMT). A Canadian Type 1 IMT is at Sandstone Lake in Ontario.

Sunday night's rainfall and higher humidities allowed forces to make significant gains in the fire suppression effort on the American part of the Ham Lake Fire. Also there was no significant growth in the fire perimeter on the U.S. side.

The south, the southwest, and the west flanks of the fire continue to hold. Significant direct-line progress was completed on the south flank of the fire finger from the Iron Lake area to Gunflint Lake. The west side of this flank did move some to the west toward Bedew Lake; however crews were able to get containment lines around the bulge. Crews worked spots and installed hose lays on Three-Mile Island.

The northern flank in Canada grew significantly in size yesterday, increasing by almost 13,000 acres. Canadian forces continued to focus on three geographic areas: 1) east flank, where a burnout is tentatively planned for today from south of Beulah Lake toward Little Gunflint Lake; 2) structural protection in the Saganaga Lake area; and 3) securing the north end of the fire between Saganaga Lake and Spoon Lake.

Structural loss and other assessments continue on both sides of the U.S./Canada border. One hundred, thirty-three (133) total structures valued at $3.7 million were lost in the first few days of the incident in the U.S. Sixty-one were residences, 17 were commercial, and 55 were outbuilding and other structures. An estimated 200 residences and over 20 commercial operations remain threatened. There have been 14 structures confirmed lost in Canada.

Acres burned: 74,814 acres. 36,443 acres are in the United States; 38,371 acres are in Canada. Containment is now estimated at 20% for the entire fire; U.S. estimated at 50%. Projected containment date: May 20, 2007 Crews: 32 (6 Canadian) Helicopters: 13 (7 Canadian) Engines: 66 Water tenders: 3 Dozers: 8 Available upon Demand: Medium Air Tankers 3 Heavy Air tankers: 2 Personnel: 1,091 (includes Canada) Costs: $5,975,656 Note: All figures as of 1700 hours May 14.

Cooperators include Gunflint Trail Volunteer Fire Department, Cook County, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, American Red Cross, Forest Service, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Fish and Wildlife Service, National Weather Service, and Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.

The cautionary evacuation order for the area along the Gunflint Trail between Gunflint #1 (7401 Gunflint Trail) and Swamper Lake was lifted by the Cook County Sheriff yesterday morning. Also, the mandatory evacuation order for the area between Poplar Lake Fire Station and Voyageur Point (Cook County 85) was lifted. A mandatory evacuation order remains in effect for the west end Gunflint Trail (Cook County 85) and all roadways off of it to the north and west of Voyageur Point.

Public informational meetings will be held today in Grand Marais, MN at the Arrowhead Center for the Arts, at 10:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. An informational meeting will also be held at the Poplar Lake Fire Station (Gunflint VFD #1) at 5:00 p.m. These meetings will continue on this schedule for the foreseeable future unless announced otherwise on WTIP Radio, the local Grand Marais FM station.

For current information on closures for the Superior National Forest, including the BWCAW and Trails End Campground, visit the forest webpage at www.fs.fed.us/r9/superior. Fire restrictions are in effect for Cook, Lake, and all of St. Louis counties. Under these restrictions the following are prohibited: recreational fires (except gas and propane fired camp stoves and grills), welding, acetylene torches, or other devices with open flames.

Today, suppression resources will continue to utilize direct suppression tactics, further secure containment lines, provide structural protection, and begin mop-up operations from Ham Lake east to South Lake, including the fire finger from Gunflint Lake to South Lake. Crews will continue direct line construction from Gunflint Trail north past the east end of Mayhew Lake to Topper Lake to the Canadian border on the east fire flank. Crews will continue to construct direct line south from the Gunflint trail to the south of Rush Lake. Also, crews will put in hose lays, hold, and mop-up from Round Lake to Fay Lake, and contain and mop-up a spot over in this area. On the northwest flank, crews will be doing structural protection and patrol on the islands on Saganaga Lake and preventing fire spread on Three Mile Island. Efforts will be coordinated with Canadian forces. Approximately two dozen engines and several dozers will be released sometime today. A passing front is ushering in a drier and cooler air mass today. Northwest winds will follow the front today. It will be mostly sunny with a slight chance of showers. Winds will be 8-14 mph. Temperatures will be in the high 50s; humidity will be in the low 40s. Cooler temperatures are expected this evening.

A Joint Information Center (JIC) is open in Grand Marais, MN at the Court House in the Commissioner’s Office (218-387-3401). The Cook County Sheriff has established a homeowner hot line for landowners in the evacuated area. The number is 218-387-3093.

Please note the new Ham Lake Fire Information Center number is 801-413-0589. Fire Websites: www.inciweb.org is the primary location for information on the Ham Lake Fire. Additional fire information can be found at mnics.org. and hamlakefire.com.

This is directed to the locals. Would anyone know if the Wallenberg Cabin( A Frame) is still standing ? the address is 7 Gullpoint RD. My friend has lost all communication to the imeadiate area and is concerned. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Dave

I don't know about that particular property but the Sheriff's office as tried to contact all property owners who had damage. They opened the Trail up to the narrows at noon today. Sounds like Seagull owners may get in for a visit in a day or two.

Update.

The Ham Lake Fire is 100% contained on the U.S. side.

A mandatory evacuation remains in effect for the Gunflint Trail beyond the Cross River roadblock. However, propery owners will be allowed access in and out of the evacuation area. This privilege is being extended to property owners only. All lakes within the evacuation area remain closed (ex. Saganaga and Seagull Lakes). On authority of the Cook County Sheriff, the evacuation order will be lifted at 8:00 am on Tuesday, 05/22/07.

The closure order for day and overnight use for all remaing BWCAW entry points in the Gunflint Ranger District will be lifted, with the exception of Larch Creek (#80), Skipper & Portage (#49), South (#58) and Magnetic Lake (#57) entry points. The Granite River which runs between Saganaga Lake and Magnetic Lake will remain closed at this time. Some campsites in the affected area will remain closed until further notice, and there may be slight reductions in entry quotas.

Fire restrictions are in effect for Cook, Lake and St. Louis counties. Under these restrictions the following are prohibited: recreational fires (except gas and propane fired camp stoves and grills), welding, acetylene torches, or other device with open flames. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has also announced that as of noon last Friday, cross-country ATV travel will be temporarily prohibited on all state and county lands in Lake, Cook, and St. Louis Counties. As a reminder, cross-country ATV travel has been and will continue to be prohibited on National Forest lands.

Broyles Incident Management Team 1 transitioned with Mannelin Incident Management Team 2 at 1800 hrs on 5/19/07. Close coordination continues between the American suppression operation and the Canadian IMT headed by Dave Manol. Canada is making additional progress.