Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Ham Lake Fire Update

31 posts in this topic

It's been a day. As of 17:00 The Trail from Iron Lake on up is under mandatory evacuation. From Poplar Lake Fire Hall to Iron Lake is under precautionary evacuation. We may be next. What does one say at a time like this? More later.

We are all praying and hoping for you, your friends, family and for RAIN! Stay strong and know that there are lots of people to help get you and yours back on your feet.

Keep the faith and be safe! Do you know the status of Gunflint Lodge, Moosehorn Lodge...?

Gunflint, I hope everything is OK with the area where you are... I heard tonight the fire has headed back towards gunflint lake and evacuation was as far down as trail center. Hope everyone there is safe! Have you heard anything regarding Voyageurs canoe outfitters at the end of the trail? Mike is a distant cousin of my wifes... I know they were at staying at Gunflint lodge, at least until tonite when that was evacuated too. Hopefully, the weather will give us some kind of break here soon!

Got a call yesterday morning from A Ashland friend on the Bong Bridge. Dave Pergowlski of Ashland with a crew of 20 gettin' to the St Louis Co Garage to gear up for the fight. Good Luck WI Boyz!!

This ones a Tinder Box..... Go crew!!

Rain...Heavy...

As of last night around 9pm, the evacuation line was from the Greenwood Lake Road to the end of the trail. This is the latest info:

Date:

Fri, 05/11/2007 - 5:00am

Description:

Due to the Ham Lake Fire, a CAUTIONARY EVACUATION is ordered. The CAUTIONARY EVACUATION applies to the area along the Gunflint Trail between the Gunflint Trail Fire Department - Poplar Lake Hall (7401 Gunflint Trail) and Swamper Lake.

This CAUTIONARY EVACUATION applies to all roadways off the Gunflint Trail, and to roadways off of those roadways. Excluding the Lima Grade, south of the Bow Lake intersection.

I live at Devils Track, and the smoke was thick last night, with ash falling everywhere. Things are definetly crazy up here. The wind is a little calmer this morning, and the wind has switched so that I can't see or smell the smoke. This is going to be a tough year for everyone up the trail, so keep them in your thoughts. As for Gunfint, I hope your ok.

To Gunflint, FStalker and anyone else up on the trail:

The thoughts and prayers of our family are with you all. I'm sure many of you and your neighbors are tired of the smoke, the uncertainty, and the cameras getting shoved in front of your noses.

Let it rain. Let it rain.

Just a quick note as we're all kind of tired. Spent the night in Silver Bay but we're back at the lodge now. I still have to run back to town tonight to pick up the boat (tomorrow is opener after all) This is a heck of a mess up here but the people that live and work up here are survivors and I'm proud to call them my neighbors.

Don't belive everything that you see or read about the devistation up here. It's serious but not total. Good luck tomorrow. gunflint

Thanks for the updates Gunflint. We all have to remember to do our part and continue to frequent the lodges on the trail after the fires are out. A few areas of burnt trees won't stop me from getting up to one of the most beautiful areas of the country. This fire combined with $3.29 + gas will have an impact on the lodges in the area. Hang in there and God Bless.

Just left Northern Light Lake, Ontario this morning. The Northern Light Lake Road is closed for incoming traffic up where the road turns to gravel near Whitefish Lake. Red Sucker Bay on Sag was being evacuated on Friday. Northern Light Resort and camps are being evacuated today. Edge of the fire was about seven miles SE of Red Pine Camp on NL Lake late last night. Fire crews moved into NL Resort on Friday, setting sprinklers up on Icarus camps today, to do the same on NL Resort and camps soon. Traveled many miles by quads with my son since last Sunday following this giant, a lot of that ground is now scorched. This monster is growing at a very dangerous and alarming rate. I'll try to get some pictures posted later on from last week.

Northern Light Lake is about 30" below last last spring's level. About 6" down from last October. Never seen it this low or this dry so early.

GoNorth

post-38414-1178800521_thumb.jpg

post-38414-1178800671_thumb.jpg

post-38414-1178800733_thumb.jpgpost-38414-1178800778_thumb.jpg

post-38414-1178800584_thumb.jpg

i took these pics off of the south gunflint lake road, wednesday may 9th

Wow, thanks for the updates. I was wondering if the shift in wind direction would blow the fire in on itself, but I guess it just blew it over some other areas. For those of you who live up there, good luck and god bless...

For those who haven't heard. Until further notice all USFS campgrounds on the Gunflint trail are closed. The "End of the Trail" and Iron Lake campground are gone. All entry points into the BWCAW from the Gunflint and Arrowhead trails are also closed.

The good news is that the road block and mandatory evacuation point has been move north 5 miles to the Voyagers Point road.

well, it's raining, for now. lets hope it's enough to help.

It is raining in Babbitt now (3 a.m.), I hope it is doing the same in the Gunflint Trail Area.

So far we've received enough rain to keep the dust down. A lot of lightning though.

Hey Gunflint. Can you update on some of the places that may have burned down? Campgrounds, lodges? How is Sag store? Thanks for any info, and hope all ends soon up there. Junky...

hard way, thanks for the pics and Gunflint thanks for the updates. I hope this ends soon. Stay safe up there.

The Sag store was still standing but the outfitting business across the road is gone. VCO lost some staff housing buildings. Seagull outfitters is still there. Seagull Creek Fish Camp ( Mike Berg) lost some small boats but his buildings and guide boats are ok.

End of the Trail Campground and Iron Lake Campground are gone. 9 properties on the north side of Gunflint lake are gone. The businesses on South Gunflint Road are still standing. All of these are rumors but should be fairly accurate. The fire is still very much alive and any of these updates can change.

Thanks Gunflint. Hope everything is OK in your neck of the woods, and that this thing gets under control soon.

Thanks for the info Mark. I'm really at a loss for words right now. I've had some awesome times in that area. Please keep us informed when you get a chance. Thanks again. Junky..

Does anyone know if they are allowing people to access lakes such as Northern Light, West Bearskin, and Greenwood? The Supperior National Forest website still says thet are closed, but the fire isn't too close to Greenwood or Northern Light. I am hoping to get out on some of those lakes this coming weekend.

Thanks

winterse

The reason that they're closed is in case the fire jumps the line. They don't want to waste resources by having to chase people out of the woods. On the other hand, our guests (mid-trail) have been fishing since opener.

Gunflint,

Any idea how the cabins were affected on West Pope? My Aunt's is on the south-west side of the lake, closest to the fire edge!

I completely understand the reasons for closing the lakes and that is why I would not be at all surprised if West Beaskin as well as the other lakes near there would still be closed; however, Greenwood and Brule River/Northern Light are quite a ways from the fire and in my opinion should be open for day use. Again I understand why they may not want people in there overnight, but day use seems very reasonable to me.