• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

No depth reading at high speed

KTroller

Question

Just got a new LMS 522C and am encountering intermitent depth readings when traveling at 25+ MPH. My transducer is mounted in the same location as the previous one I had so I know it is far enough from the motor etc. My question is...could it be set too far below the hull or not far enough? The centerline of the transducer is roughly 1/2" below the hull. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

KT

12 answers to this question

Have you tried tilting the transducer down in the back a few degrees so it is looking slightly ahead instead of straight down or behind a bit?

I have not tried that yet. It's easy enough to do. Wish I had a better concept of the angle of my boat in the water vs. on the trailer.

Try turning the Sensitivity and Ping Speed all the way up when your driving at higher speeds.

If that doesn't work check to make sure the Transducer isn't inline with a rib on the hull. Which is to say make sure the transducer isn't caught in a hull cavitation stream. Water traveling along ribs in the hull cause cavitation which leads to aerated water which the transducer cannot shoot through. In that situation the air acts as an signal "insulator" of sorts.

You can set the angle based on the arc's that you see. for example as your traveling forward in the boat when you come over a fish you should get a full arc. If the transducer is tilted too far forward you'll get the "back" half of an arc aka the down half which will be chopped off at about mid signal (half an arc). If it's tilted too far backward you'll only get the up half of an arc as you travel over it.

I know that sounds complicated but it's really the only way to set the transducer properly and it takes time and fiddling. However, once you get it right . . . . yeah you'll be happy. Most people never take the time and just drive around with an expensive box on their boat that gives them an erroneous depth and structure that their not even sittig on. You'd be surprised.

Thanks, I did read in the manual about the arcs (front half/back half so I'll be sure to watch that. That's the reason I wish I had a better clue about the way my boat is angled at speed vs. on the trailer (which is where it is when I can make adjustments). I really want to dial it in. I'm not at all concerned about it for the lakes which I normally fish and navigate since it is functioning well at lower speeds. I just want to make sure it it perfect before my Lac Seul trip in early June. A little experementation on positioning is well worth saving a prop or lower unit.

I'm having the same problem with my 332C. If I get up to a certain speed then I can't pick up the bottom and the sonar will read 2 ft and then 300 ft.

I'm going to play around with the transducer angle a bit and if that doesn't work then I think I'll bring it in to get the ducer moved. Shouldn't the guys at the boat place know not to mount the ducer in the "cavitation stream?" Or is that something you can't pinpoint until you've had it in the water?

First try turning the sensitivity and ping speed to 100% while driving at high speed. the cavitation thing shouldn't be an issue if you had your dealer install it but there are itiots in the world and some do have jobs soooo??? If you can't pick up depth and the transducer is in the water just try to increase your sensitivity and ping speed MANUALLY before you go and mess with the transducer.

I know how you feel about having it working right especially with a trip like that comming up. I have a 102C on my boat and I read the bottom at 50 mph.

Ping speed & sensitivity didn't work. I did notice that whoever installed my old one put it directly behind a strake and I didn't notice that when I replaced it. Fortunately there was another spot inside the strakes closest to the motor where there were existing holes so I could easily move it. The Lowrance manual did reccommend mounting inside the strakes closest to the motor, so hopefully that works...tomorrow I test.

KT

I would say that getting it out from behind a strake will more than likely solve your problem. Good luck.

Thanks - Yes it did! Only for brief periods did I not get readings while at speed today. I didn't really play with the sensitivity or ping speed again since my mind was on gettin' my boys on some fish, which I really didn't do as far as 'eyes are concerned, but it was a four species day nevertheless ;-).

You may still have to lower the back of the transducer a bit or adjust ping speed, At least you can read bottom most of the imte now. I can read bottom at 50 mph, but I don't usually run that fast.