Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barbelboy

URL report for 5/6, 5/7, 5/8 & 5/9

10 posts in this topic

Went out of westwind on sunday the 6th. Nicely marked channel, but the 30-40 SE mph wind sure made it hard to fish. After 4 hours and no crappies I called it a day. I wasn't there to catch walleyes and that's all I was catching. I tried to fish the SE side of the lake, but the 2-3 foot(or bigger) waves made it pretty difficult. North end was out of the question.

Monday the 7th was a much nicer day, still windy but not 40mph. Went out of the river. By the afternoon it was calm and I was able to manage 5 crappies (released) along the north shore.

Tuesday 5/8 was GORGEOUS. 75, no wind, not even a ripple on the lake. WOW cool.gif. Again I went out of the river and this time I managed a nice limit of crappies out over towards roger's.

I didn't make it out on 5/9 due to the fact that I had my possesion limit and I had a 6 hour drive ahead of me. So once I was done with work I simply drove by the landing. I believe I could easily have reproduced tuesday's results though.

I was catching crappies in 5.5-6' of water but at all depths. I'd catch 'em on the bottom or 1' below the surface. I figured that out when I had one swim by my boat 1' down and I managed to drop my jig in front of him. Crappie minnows and a JB ant seemed to be the ticket. They really seemed to like the very slow fall of the ant over other types of jigs. I did spent some time to the N. of the river and I did catch acouple crappies, but I had 2 guys motor withing 100', yes 100' and start fishing. If I wanted to be that close to people I'd fish in the cities. Overall I got to see the worst and best of URL. I can't wait to go back!

p.s. Kelly P. did you eat lunch at westwind on sunday? I think I saw you there, but i've never met you so I was unsure. If you did I was the short guy in the corner who looked like I had the tar beat out of me on the lake.

you shoulda stopped by and said hi... Kelly, Jon and I were the ones who looked like the lake beat the tar out of us too... but we weren't even fishing!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

I should have, but after 4 hours of continuous beating I could hardly stand upright frown.gif

Thanks much for the fishing report, I'm heading up this weekend and am just pumped. Hope the wind stays down. Bringing a newbee, I just want her to catch one of those 14-15 inch hogs everyone talks about. Seems like there hard to come by in the past couple of years. Good luck, will try to post how we did.

Good luck! wink.gif

Labs

Are you going to be around this weekend at all? I would love to buy you jon, and kelly an adult beverage! (and mabe pump you for some info) grin.giflaugh.gif

My kid is begging me to go....

I got a wife who's B-day is this weekend...

depends on what style doghouse I plan on living in!

I'll let you know if I survive the asking.... grin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

and oh yea... I buy Kelly and Jon an adult beverage on occassion from time to time... but we usually forget about who's giving and who's getting the info... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif Your investment would have a greater payout hitting the 2 Petrowske boys up... I'd still be out in the lake in my ice house if it wasn't for them 2!!! smile.gif

Labs, looks like we better get the fishouse fixed up for you and the boy.

Jon,

When do you start booking ice house reservations?

You can never plan too early grin.gif

Hey take the wife with you.... grin.gif

Well if you are up there I'm sure that I can be found at one of the watering holes!!! grin.gifsmile.gif

Hopefully I can still wake up for the fishing! lol