Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattkimk

Northern Light Lake-Gunflint Trail

11 posts in this topic

Does anybody have an idea on water levels of the Brule river entering Northern Light and water levels of the lake itself. With the light snow this year I am wondering how tough it would be to get on the lake.

Thanks

Matt

all the rivers up that way are really low. we got my dads ranger in there 8 or 9 years ago and haven't been back since. I guess it depends what size boat you have. I would guess that it would be tough with anything of size.

I had never fished there before with anything other than a canoe, even during normal water levels. This year I wanted to take my 14 ft aluminum out there next month...I'm wondering if I'll be able to...I was up there last september and the access looked like nothing more than a marshy field.

Access is usually a bit tough, have to use waders to get out. I just like it because it is pretty remote in that not many people are usually out there which means getting info about lake levels is pretty tough. When are you thinking about getting out next month? Maybe if you go up before me or i go up before you we could let each other know how the access is?

I'll be up there on the 2nd saturday of june...I had planned on a 2 for 1 that day, fish northern light in the morning and then hit elbow for the afternoon/evening.

I will be up the 3rd weekend of June. Never has been the best fishing but my wife spent a lot of time up there growing up. Good luck to ya. Have never hit Elbow, was thinking of maybe getting there this year also. Access should be better anyhow.

I've only fished elbow from shore, but have caught some pike and a couple jumbo perch. I'll still be up there come the 3rd weekend, not sure which lake I'll be on though. No matter how good I do, I never fish the same lake twice while I'm up there.

both lakes are REALLY low.even on a good year, you have a good chance of hitting rocks.but don't let that stop you, there were people on northern light yesterday.just make sure the accesses are open.the usfs has closed alot of the public accesses due to the fire danger.i'll try and post the link...http://www.boreal.org/drupal/node/2404

link - copy and paste into your browser.the public landing for northern light/brule river is closed.

has anybody been on this lake yet? I will be heading up this Friday.

The water is high! Prepare to get your feet wet launching your boat.