• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Respect for other fisherman!

WMRWALLEYE

Hey this is for all the guys that do their homework and know how to catch fish. this is also for the guys that don't. Keep your distance have a little respect. If people are catching fish and your not, dont get right on top of them. You wouldnt like it if they did it to you. Just keep this in mind when your fishing please and lets everybody have a good time. Good luck this weekend!

If even half the people on the Pond would do this, things would be awesome!!!! Good luck, and Post your results here Mon. cool.gif

If you want to fish by yourself then you shouldnt fish on Mille Lacs...head up to the BWCAW and get a little body of water all to yourself.

All people need to be respectful but dont anticipate that you arent going to have close encounters with other anglers. Some guys anchor, some guys use the electric, some guys use drift socks, some guys dont...bottom line things.

Bottom line...it isnt "your spot" it is a public spot that you are fishing, you dont own it and you cant stop others from using it in the same manner that you are.

wow Herman, All he was saying is that it is a really really BIG lake. You don't need to camp out and surrond the boat that is getting into them. Back off give 'em some room, ease in there if you want, but before you do that, make sure you know how they are fishing and that you position won't hinder what they are doing. I will let you know if you get to close to my buddy up front of my boat, there may be some juicy chaw spit on your new carpet floor! Every one be safe, be considerate, and be prepared, the fish are ready and waiting, let's go get some!

Did you guys see the 06 PWT championship film? One guy was ahead of Gary Parsons, and it showed the two of them right next to each other- I mean feet away!

Yikes man, give a brother his space!

Michael

I guess I have to weigh in on this issue. It is not the fact that we all share a resource, but the fact that as a true sportsman, you take the time, energy and a lot of hard earned money to research and develop areas and spots that are successful. When somebody sees you catch a fish and they run over in hopes that they too can catch one, its plain laziness. They want to take advantage of something that they have not spent an ounce of effort to recognize. I have a friend that goes back to every pheasant spot I take him too. He then takes his friends there. This creates too much pressure on the spots and they no longer produce. So now I must go spend hundreds of hours, and hundreds of dollars in fuel to find new ones. I no longer invite people as they have no concept of being a sportsman.

I took this same guy to Gull last fall and he was so adamant to go by two guys that were catching fish I almost asked if he could fish with them. If there is one boat on his own and he starts to catch fish, can you really justify in your own mind that you are deserving. This entitlement crap has really got to stop. Instead of pushing him out of his spot, look at a map, the depth and try to find areas with similar characteristics, or at least wait until the guy is done. If you work hard at something, you will find your own success. That is rewarding in and of itself. If you must rely on others to show you how and where to catch fish, sell the boat and go to the grocery store. Its cheaper, eaisier and it saves a lot of people that you impose on a lot of frustration.

Its the essence of a sportsman.

Well, I can't let this one go without a post.

First, This is Mille Lacs ON THE OPENER ! ! !

It's gonna be a zoo and a little too crowded for most of us. Even the most respectfull boaters are going to be closer than you or they would prefer on occasion. I've made 50 yard drifts on the pond, ten feet from another boat the whole time. No big deal, we chatted the whole drift. It's just the cycle of drifting on Mille Lacs.

Second, That does not mean that when a boat is on fish, you get close enough to hand them a beer. Those aren't the only fish in the lake OR in the immediate area. If they are on the "spot on the spot", bummer, wait or find your own. I agree with the poster that called that crowding in on the "hot" boat lazy.

Third, remember boating right of way. Boats under power have the responsibility to avoid drifting and anchored boats. Drifting boats have a responsibility to avoid anchored boats. And by avoid, I don't mean avoid swapping paint. Give some space. Lots of water out there.

It will be close quarters out there at times. If we try to give space to all, it will be more pleasant and we will probably catch more fish.

Wow .... all fired up and not even on the water yet. grin.gif

Good Luck Guys,

Nick

If i were able to type that much...i would have probably said it just like that.

Very well put! cool.gif

Good luck to all and i dont need any new paint on my boat. grin.gif

You are sooooooooooo correct on this subject!!!! You would think this wouldn't be so hard to do grin.gif

I completly agree with the guys obve and they are right The Pond is a zoo on opener but there are ton's of fish in the lake I mean TON'S. So be respectful and if someone is catching them. Give them space try to find your own fish it's a lot more rewarding when you get some fish and know that you found them.

Good luck( If you see two guys in a 16ft Alumacraft with the picture of a Bass on the side give me a hollar. I'll be around sunset bay)

I gave up fishing the opener years ago. Too many new boaters getting use to new boats; too many “this is the only weekend of the year I fish” fishermen; too many people drinking beer and operating boats. Now I wait until the Thursday after opener. Approximately 65% fewer people with warmer water which translate to better fishing. Late this Saturday I will get my license and new line in an empty sporting goods store. Enjoy the opener!

I just want to say this. If someone is trolling,be it cranking or rigging, DONT anchor in thier path. It happens to me all the time. The spot is large so please fish off to the side and respect us who troll. I do think that if someone comes to your spot at a reasonable distance and speed you should just brush it off and let them be. Not everyone has the time and money to purchase and use some of these new devices.

Thanks.

"If someone is trolling,be it cranking or rigging, DONT anchor in thier path."

Well why don't you be nice enough to us all and please list all of the coordinates where you'll be trolling this Summer so we can keep the hell out of your way! lol

The tribe wants all the fish and now this dude thinks he has a right to all the water? You gotta be kiddin me!

Michael

ok so say your in your ice house all by yourself, and you tell someone your catchin fish, they tell evryone they know and next you know you have portables where you park your truck in front of your door. same thing on the lake, some guys will literally get so close that you could hop into their boat. think about and have a little respect for fellow fisherman.Nobody likes it.i guess I hit a touchy subject with ya, wonder why?........

Quote:

I just want to say this. If someone is trolling,be it cranking or rigging, DONT anchor in thier path. It happens to me all the time. The spot is large so please fish off to the side and respect us who troll. I do think that if someone comes to your spot at a reasonable distance and speed you should just brush it off and let them be. Not everyone has the time and money to purchase and use some of these new devices.

Thanks.

All right..I have to chime in on this one. That is the one problem I have. Every time I hit the water the first thing I do is get out my gps and punch in the spot that I want to fish. Then I head out and drop my anchor. These spots I am heading to are spots that I have marked for reason. So I toss the bobber in the water and relax. Some nights I am not in the mood to fish agressively so I will take whatever comes. If I don't catch a thing oh well.

My point is that on numerous occasions I have had guys come trolling by pissed becasue I WAS IN THEIR WAY.

Give me a break!

To the above quoted. I see your from the Isle area? I fish out of Macs. Wonder if your the trolling god down in the area that thinks I am purposely sitting on their trolling path. shocked.gif

I will just say this. I wont start trolling withing 200 yards of another boat. If a boat comes to the area i am working i will adjust to stay away. but i was talking about the guys who anchor 20 feet away from me. It is suprising but I have had more launches do this to me than boats. I know i dont own the spot but it is just common sense. it is like parking your car in front of a train. Also I rarely leave sunset bay and on no occasion consider myself a trolling god.

10-4

On the other hand if I do see someone trolling on the area I may sit back for a couple minutes, drink a pop and tie my lines until they clear out. You have a valid point wink.gif

Thanks alot for understanding wink.gifgrin.gif. I only wish others would do the same. frown.gif

Mille Lacs Lake, Minnesota's second-largest lake, spans 132,000 surface acres or slightly more than 200 square miles. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Mille Lacs Muskie Bum,

My friend you have to have the same respect for bober fishermen as you are asking. I fish both ways and if I am trolling I make a large turn out of the babber fishermans way. And if I am bobber fishing I mark my spot where I want to fish and anchor.

You have to be able to give a little to get a little on public water ways.

As far as the devices go. I am confused on what you are referring too? GPS, Depth Finder?

Good Luck and have fun!

Fish On!!!

In his defense he is just annoyed with the ones that see him coming and anchor right in front of him 200 yds.

If there are other fisherman there before him he will go out of the way just as you will.

I'm in the same boat as Millelacsmuskiebum. I have pulled a fish off of a spot continue my trolling route turn a round to make another pass over the spot and whamo there is guy dropping anchor and then gives me a the dirty look's when he thinks I am to close to "his" spot.

I think it's pure Laziness when someone pull's up on a spot where you were catching fish and then call's it there own.

My two cents

Here's my bit! Why in the world doe's some nimrod have to go full throttle thru the area you are fishing when there is plenty water to go around you? confused.gif

R E S P E C T, find out what it means to me.

There is plenty of times where a half dozen boats will be drifting the same area and someone will drive up and drop an anchor right in the middle. You can see that it irritates everybody.

To me it’s a common sense and respect issue.

The guys that anchor in front of me on a drift run or while I am back trolling drive me nuts. It is bad manners. They should either wait for people to go through, or find a different spot. The other thing is the guys who back troll into a guys drift pattern and then expect the drifter to move because they are following some edge on their GPS. One more thing, why does it seem that I am always the one who starts my boat and gets out of the way? I now try to fish away from the crowds. It also works.