• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help with Trolling Motor!!

so haaad

Question

I have a '94 bow-mount Motorguide/tracker trolling motor w/foot pedal that is having fits. It only runs in high speed #5. Any thoughts? Is it just the wiring in the pedal, or could it be the motor is shot? Any help is appreciated...

8 answers to this question

I had two minnkotas on my boat, probably 95 and 97 year models. The transome one is shot, It spins real well out of the water, but in the water there is no power. My bow mount still works OK, but not like it used to.

Maybe minnkotas are inferior, but 10 years of heavly use have just about warn out my motors. Time to get a Copilot for me grin.gif

More than likely it is in the foot peddle. It could be the speed adjustment switch or it could be something in the control board. Not sure what it would cost to repair but it may be cheaper to buy a refurbished unit.

Sounds like resisters went out. It only works on 5 which is high I assume. I'd take it into the repair shop.

Had that happen to a Minn Kota, only ran on high no matter the setting. Was a component on a circuit board in the foot control.

5-spd units have no circuit boards.

Either a 5-speed switch or, more likely, a heat-resistance speed coil in the lower unit.

Katoguy is right. I just had to purchace some parts for a motor guide trolling motor, and while I was talking to the gentelmen at the store, he stated that was one of the most common problems with these motors. I don't know if I am allowed to post the name of the company, but if you look a motorguide's web page and look under support, dealer and service locator service and parts locator, and put in Minnesota as your location it will give the company's name that is in bloomington. Good luck. oh, the guys there were really helpful. Chances are it will also be cheaper to purchace a new/remaunfactured/used one to replace a 14 year old unit.

Thank you everyone. I just got this boat and trolling motor. After I took a closer look at the foot pedal for the trolling motor, I see that there are a couple of wires that are actually "melted" together! So hopefully it's just the foot pedal and not the actual motor. I'll start there and mess with the wiring, then call the place in Bloomington. Thanks again for all input.