• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone going out on LQP on opener? Just checking the history of this time of the season. I have seen people in the past getting fish around the bridge, is this a good place to start?

Thanks for the info.

The bridge is ok, may pick up a few. Other spots to check are the clay banks area, the rocks to the south & the west shore line from the red hunting shack back to the south, Hanthos landing/the springs to the north. They all could be good. I will usually start trolling by the clay backs & work south.

I used to try right there standing on the pier. Sometimes I get really lucky and get one. I haven't tried in a couple of years as since everytime had been windy/rainy.

Grew up fishing that lake, and I have found that early in the year the south end has produced the the most fish for me anyway, its worth a shot down by the state park access, watch out for rocks, should mostly be showing above the water, be safe and have fun!

Thanks everyone for the input. I will post when I get back. One thing that I found interesting is that there really is no deep holes. Since this is a lake / river are there many obsticles on the bottom? Wondering if it will be snag city for trolling with raps?

Well I'll be joining out on LQP, second year in a row, just not confident enough in Shetek so I gotta go back with my bread and butter... BEst of luck to you! Plan on starting with jigs near the Milan bridge, from there I'll let the Walleyes decide on how I fish...

I won't be at the puddle for opener but I can tell you that there are not many snags in the lake unless you find a tree or are fishing by the rock piles. Intersting fact, the rock piles came to be when My fathers family farmed parts of the lake area before condemnation. Mostly muck and gravel there.

Not many snags??

If you do not snag up regularly you may not be where the eyes are at.

We have pulled as many as five lures off one log pulled up by our spider wire.

Yeah I seem to snag up alot too out there... Guess thats where the fish are!

Hey,

Just wondering how opener was on LQP? I did not make it that far south. I went to Osakis and got skunked. The weather was great, but the fish were not in the mood. I think I will make the trip to LQP, sounds like the bite was good in SW MN. I would be interested to hear if anyone was able to get a hold of some eyes. What was the water clarity? How does the wind effect the lake this time of the year? Hope to see others out this weekend, looking for there limits.

Say weighed in 8 beautiful eyes saturday. went from 1.75-3.25. fishing with jigs and minnow by the Milan bridge.

Thanks for the reply. I knew I went to the wrong lake. Getting my gear ready for the up coming week. Hopefully the bite remains strong. How was the water clarity?

Did you have much competition?

Quote:

Say weighed in 8 beautiful eyes saturday. went from 1.75-3.25. fishing with jigs and minnow by the Milan bridge.

Oh wow! I just might come out and try for a few eye's on the pier.

i heard the bite has really slowed down. But the water is dirty, thanks to the wind.

I'm heading that way tonight. I will post on Monday on the bite. Looks like the wind will be out of the south, should be good for the overall stiring up of the bottom. How are the geese on this lake? I know that this is also a refuge, just wondering how this effects the lake with tons of birds coming in. How is the night bite? Where is a good place to launch? We have quite a large boat and want to make sure we do not have problems. See you on the lake!!

believe there is a decent access right at milan bridge as far as the geese they dont host the large numbers of geese in the springlike they do in the fall. GOOD LUCK FISHING!!

Boyds landing, the state park, and boldens pit, Milan's bridge all have decent landings. Like Kaz said there isn't nearly the numbers of geese on the lake during the spring, but the water has dirtied due to the wind we've had the last week. I'll be up there to night so i'll let you know how its going.

LQP was suprisingly clear. Had pretty good luck, ended up with sevral nice 16-18 eaters along with a few (c/r) 21" ++ fish. Heard the twin bridges area had some big fish saturday morning 29+, but Sunday was less pressure & fish. Most os the boats seemed to hang onthe north side of Milan bridge out of the wind. Other boats were scattered.

The river up by Correl culverts had a standing room only crowd as usual. Even seen one guy with coolers, rods, & cot @ 5:30 p.m. ready to fish for the midnight opener. Long wait.

Piled in with the crowd around Milan bridge Saturday and got plenty of fish jigging, best opener we've had in years! With our opener fish taken care ventured out to other spots throughout the lake, rocks in the north produced a couple but the islands in the south not so much? Interesting, but I hope the fishing stays good, I'll be making few more trips in the next couple weeks!

Thanks everyone for the posts. We had a great 4 days weekend in which we caught and released our limits each day.

We did not find any big fish (9lbs to 7lbs) but had a great time. Boy does that bridge get busy every day. Nice lake and I would encourage people to fish there. Bait shop had great tips, in which helped us out in finding spots.

Thanks again!!

It was Mitlyng's bait on the south side. They mentioned with the wind change from the south, then from the north and back from the south it would shut down the middle of the lake. We were able to find a spot with current all by ourselves. We were able to get our limits each of the 4 days. Although we did not get the hog that we were looking for, we had a great time.