Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walleye_king

Tactics for openor on Mille Lacs??

6 posts in this topic

So how are all you die hard mille lacs guys going to get your limit on opener?

I will start out with a lindy rig and leech.

Michael

Leeches. Starting out at Fischer's. Long snells 7-9 ft. Plain red hook and a single glow bead. Working depths of 18 ft and shallower. Will also have a rod ready with a hammered copper spinner, 7 ft snell. If nothing, time to head up to the Sand. Carlsona, Barnacle Bills. Will fish the deeper sand 27 ft and work in shallow. May even give trolling cranks in 5-10 ft a shot. grin.gif

Trolling outside/around boat clusters. I believe clusters of boats drifting and motoring back and forth over shallow water fish pushes them out of the cluster. We've had excellent luck with this tactic in recent years.

There are times where I have been right in the middle of everyone and still caught alot of fish. That's why it's always nice to start deeper, especially on the sand (27 ft)because alot of people are in the 15 ft depths.

There have been times around noon that I have gone in shallow 5-8 ft where nobody else is and have caught alot of Eyes. grin.gif Doesn't take too long before people see you, and it's packed again.

Good luck grin.gif

Red hook, chartuese bead and leech is what I'll be starting with. If I'm out at midnight it's under a lighted bobber on the break. If it's the morning it'll be on a long snell off the break and on the edge of the crowds "surgically driftin'".

Me too. grin.gif