• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oly, you have been getting some darn nice fish on pool 2. Keep up the good work. Looks light I need to invest in some more blue cranks. I was out sunday morning and caught a one good fish at 25 and then a couple 17-19 inchers on cranks. The bite seemed a little slow, but the water came up fast and so did the current on sunday.

Hey oly is that u I see in the red fishing boat always head towards the marina in Inver grove. when im shore fishin i always see you i think?

Is the ramp in St. Paul Park a public facility (no launching fees)? What street is it on??

thanks in advance

yes it is free. it is located in lions levee park. here are directions from st. paul parks website:

Located on the scenic Mississippi River. Follow 7th Avenue to the end.

Directions:

From Highway 61 going South

Exit onto Summit Avenue overpass (70th Street) take a right at the top of the ramp onto Summit Avenue.

At the stop sign--take a right onto Broadway Avenue.

Take a left onto 3rd Street.

Take a right onto 7th Avenue.

7th Avenue will lead you into the parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was in canada all of last week so its been awhile since ive been out. I made it out today for a few hours before the lightning chased me off. I caught 4 lmb 1 northern and a 24.5 walleye. 2 of the bass came on a strike king lizard tube and 2 came on a spinnerbait. The walleye came on a fat free shad in about 6 ft of water in a backwater area were I was fishin for bass. Its funny I spent a week in canada and the biggest walleye I caught was 24 in a couple hours on pool 2 and I catch one bigger. The water is really low right now and there wasnt much current either hopefully we will get some rain to get the water levels back up and get that current moving. Anyone else been out?

Was out from 430 to 730 yoday. I got 4 lmb and 4 white bass. I also caught a 30 in pike. The northerns are really active this year. The water is about as low as I have ever seen and there is virtually no current. I tried a few spots for walleyes but with out any current its really hard to find them right now. I dont think I will be fishing the river untill we get some substantial rain fall. Untill then I will just have to hit some lakes and do some real bass fishin.

I was out on saturday evening and caught one 23" walleye, a bunch of white bass, sheepies, and channel cats. I did have one big fish, i'm guessing flathead, that I fought for about 5-7 minutes till it decided to go down river and break my line. I had a few fish on casting cranks, but they both came loose right away. The other fish were caught on crawlers.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished from shore at the creek confluence this afternoon. I was fishing with leeches and managed three smallies, a catfish, a redhorse, and a couple of sheepshead. Guy next to me was fishing with minnows and outfished me about 6-1. He caught eyes, cats, sheepies, and tons of smallies. We were fishing the same current seam so there was definitley bait preference.

Then I fished a couple of the creek pools and managed a couple more smallies and a largemouth.

Tried fishing cats from shore this evening 7-11. Very slow. Caught one small channel, one small walleye, and of course a sheepie. Cut chubs. Had a lot of pecking bites and small runs but either would drop or couldn't get a hookset, usually reeled in nothing but skin and the spinal cord of my bait, they were really tearing it apart.

Couple of guys were fishing eyes, one managed some on minnows during daylight, and another fisherman caught a sauger after dark with crankbaits.

Water is warm, way down, and the fishing was slow as molasses for everyone.

Caught some creek chubs and fished live chubs on pool 2 from 7-10pm this evening. 1 walleye(15"),1 Smallie(15"), 1 northern(24"), and 3 sheepies, one of which was the biggest I have caught. Fishing was slow.

Was out Saturday night from 7-11 and fishing was pretty slow.

Using worms under a slip bobber, no fish untill 9 and then scored 1 nice carp, 3 channels, a smallie and a sheepie. Also tried the usuall rapalas and swimbaits for walters, but nothing.

Sunday I went out on pool 1 for an hour or two and was only able to manage 1 little smallie on a floating minnow, twitched very slowly.

Quote:

Fished from shore at the creek confluence this afternoon. I was fishing with leeches and managed three smallies, a catfish, a redhorse, and a couple of sheepshead. Guy next to me was fishing with minnows and outfished me about 6-1. He caught eyes, cats, sheepies, and tons of smallies. We were fishing the same current seam so there was definitley bait preference.

Then I fished a couple of the creek pools and managed a couple more smallies and a largemouth.

Are there any artificials you can recommend for the confluence if I'm going for smallies? Or is it not even worth trying without live bait?

Artificials work well. I mostly stick to jigging soft plastics and casting shallow diving jerkbaits due to the snag factor. Also small spinnerbaits for smallies.

Was hoping the bite would be better now with a little more water moving through, not so. Fished this evening. Artificials only produced one smallie(beetlespin type spinner), then cut bait produced one channel cat and a sheepie.

Went out on pool 2 last night and just killed the channels, I went through a container of crawlers and I think I had a fish on every worm. A couple maybe 2 lb fish but the rest were really small (still fun though). Also thrown in were a sheepie, sucker, couple smallies and a couple walleyes later in the evening ~9:30 on a rapala. All in all one of my better nights for July on the river laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what kind of depths can be found down in the pool 2 area? I love to troll deep water (25-60 feet) for big walleyes and I just recently moved to west st.paul and will be spending most of my time fishing the mississippi now. What are some good spots to troll in this area?? (keep in mind I am completely clueless about this area so if you guide me with the names of landmarks and areas, I am going to have no idea what you are talking about). Thanks a lot for any helpful info. you can give me. I promise I won't anchor in any of your favorite spots listed on here!!! I like to cover water!

GoggleEye

Most of the river is 25 feet deep or less. There are some deeper stretches up to 35 feet or so near the 494 bridge. Most of the walleyes in the river don't spend much time in the deeper water though.

I spend most of my time trolling rap's in 5-13' of water...there are a few deep holes but they are pretty small and usually have someone anchored on them (guessing they are catfishing)>'////><

OK, I guess I will have to keep my deep water trolling to the St. Croix. I suppose I could break myself out of this "deep water, big fish" thinking and try some shallow trolling on the sippi. Thanks for the help guys.

GoggleEye