• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

snell length

Fish to Win

Can someone explain why a walleye would have a better chance on feeling a 3 foot snell rather than a 10 foot snell. If the walleye is taking line out and your lead is stopped and you are givingh it line why would the snell length matter- All it seems to be is just 7 feet longer??!!!

From what I learned or thought, the idea of having a longer snell has nothing to do with the bite or what you can feel or the walleye can feel. I think long snells started on Mille Lacs because when anglers fish the mud they would let their sinkers hit the bottom and stir up all that silt. So if you were fishing in a boat with a buddy and he had a 3 foot snell compared to your 10 foot snell you might have better luck because the eye can see it and get it easier, better presentation. This goes for any type of bottom. The sinker can act as an attractant but it also stirs some commossion and the farther you are away from that the better off you are. A longer snell also floats much more naturally or possibly has the ability too. A lively leech has more line to play with. A lot of guys just like to let their sinker drag the bottom. I pick it up right off of the bottom, always know where the bottom is but I don't drag it and get hung up less and outfish my partners wink.gif

I thiink his answer is right on. We've had pretty good luck on the opener with 6'-7' snells.

I also use 3/4 to 1 ounce weights to keep my line at a 45 degree angle and keeps it above the mud at all times therefore not disturbing the mud and keeping your hook in the strike zone! Worked for me last year on Mille Lacs mud! wink.gif

I would have to agree with LuciandTim. The shorter snell only seems to be ideal when you are fishing in heavier rocked areas. If you went to Rocky Reef or close in on Indian Point, your hook would always get hung up in the rocks with a longer leader.

The longer leader on Mille Lacs is ideal for 80% of the lake, not real jagged cover. I always thought as well the leader acted as a buffer between the hook and the rest of the presentation. The sinker will go by the fish and catch their attention, 3 to 4 seconds later a leech will go by and BAM!, your feeding line. The fish are not smart enough to figure it out that the sinker and bait were together, hence I shouldn't bite the hook. They only care about the fact that the bait is going by in a natural fashion.

Everyone has always told me the hook will ride higher in the water the longer the leader, I don't tend to believe that, I do believe the longer leader presents the bait in a more natural presentation. I think the only way your bait will ride higher in the water column is to put a float on it.

I also like the longer leader to get the bait that much further away from the boat (aka noise). I don't mind draggin my sinker 40 feet behind the boat. Never seems to bother the 'eyes. Maybe right after a real bad cold front comes in it may bother them a little but that would be the only time in my experience. I use the same leader length on Mille Lacs as I do Winne. I usually start out at 8 feet and go up. I think I once ended up at 12'.

It also comes down to what you have confidence in. Reading about it and doing it are two different things. If you start out with a 10' leader having never fished that way before, it is pretty tough. If you are new to it I think you have to start in the 6 foot range and progress up.

I agree with you. I don't think the hook rides higher in the water unless your'e using a floater. I've always had good luck with snells 7-10 ft. Seems earlier in the season (up until mid June) I can get by with using 7-8 ft snells. Then after that longer seems to work better 7ft snells with spinners, and usually no longer that 10 ft for rigging.

6 - 8' is typical in the sand and then when the fish move to the mud, you can expect anything from 6 - 12'. Draggin' your sinker can be done in the sand, but you won't get away with that out on the mud and be as effective as someone who isn't dragging their weight. As for the height of the presentation from bottom in respects to snell length, I don't think it's a big difference but I do know you'll see a difference between a 4' snell and a 10' snell. The presentation on the 4' snell will definitely be closer to the bottom. In most cases, I like to start longer knowing that I am above the fish and this will pick off the most active in the school. If the fish are "belly to the bottom", they won't chase and then I can shorten my snell length.

I need to try not draggin' on the mud. I seem to do fine draggin, but wonder how many more I could catch without draggin' the mud.

Good luck this weekend. grin.gif Barnacle Bills area Sat??? cool.gif

To be honest with you.....You should just quit wasting your time pulling snells annd start bobber fishing! wink.gif

Good luck to you as well. I'll be closer to Malmo.

Quote:

It's so boring!
wink.gif

Very effective though.

\

Boring!? Tell that to my heart! grin.gif Everytime that bobber goes down it almost gives me a heart attack!

As many times as you see that thing go down you would think that you would get used to it.....

Don't get me wrong, bobber fishing can be a blast, especially using lighted bobbers grin.gif. Give rigging a try, it adds another "Weapon" to catch Eyes grin.gif

What kind of boat do you have??? Any graphics that say "Team Otter" on your boat???

I rig just not as much. Can't do the same thing all the time. Just prefer bobber fishing. Ever notice when you do a drift or a pass and you catch a fish everytime in an area while rigging?? Most guys will continue to do this and get a fish every other time. I will sit on top of these fish with a slip and leech and have a hay day! grin.gif Sometimes rigging can be the best bet for finding active fish.

I'll be in my dad's rig this weekend. He runs a black 1900 Pro-V LE with a 225 Opti-XS, multiple trolling motors and all the gizmos known to man.

I need to catch up on my terms...

Is "rigging" different from doing the "Lindy"?

What exactly is "rigging"?

In this conversation that is what we are reffering to. Rigging is short for Live bait Rigging. It could mean an array of things really.

In my mind (lindy) Rigging is a weight, swivel, mono leader (I like 6-8 ft), Optional bead, hook and live bait.

It can all be modified, but the point is the same. Get the presentation on the bottom in a free moving way that resembles a drifting bait.

I will assume that the "bait" you are using with the snell sould be, worms, leeches and shiners/fatheads, in no particular order????

Mike

Quote:

From what I learned or thought, the idea of having a longer snell has nothing to do with the bite or what you can feel or the walleye can feel. I think long snells started on Mille Lacs because when anglers fish the mud they would let their sinkers hit the bottom and stir up all that silt. So if you were fishing in a boat with a buddy and he had a 3 foot snell compared to your 10 foot snell you might have better luck because the eye can see it and get it easier, better presentation. This goes for any type of bottom. The sinker can act as an attractant but it also stirs some commossion and the farther you are away from that the better off you are. A longer snell also floats much more naturally or possibly has the ability too. A lively leech has more line to play with. A lot of guys just like to let their sinker drag the bottom. I pick it up right off of the bottom, always know where the bottom is but I don't drag it and get hung up less and outfish my partners
wink.gif

How would you not drag the sinker on bottom? Increase your trolling speed with a lighter weighted sinker? confused.gif

A constant "lift and drop" of your sinker, making it just enough to make contact with the bottom and then bring back up 6" - 1'. It's also important to keep your rod tip close to the water and trying to stabilize your line at a 45 degree angle.

Quote:

A constant "lift and drop" of your sinker, making it just enough to make contact with the bottom and then bring back up 6" - 1'. It's also important to keep your rod tip close to the water and trying to stabilize your line at a 45 degree angle.

thanks