Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turk

9 posts in this topic

May 7, 2007, St. Croix River walleye season is in full swing and plenty of walleyes are available to be caught and are being caught, though reports completely vary from who you talk to. At the recent 50 boat field Beach Bar tournament on the St. Croix more than 50% of the teams had no fish to weigh while other anglers did well. In fact the Team of Farr/Johnson hammered out 40 pounds of walleye in this ten fish contest. The main issue with anglers that aren’t catching fish, from what I viewed is the light bite that the fish are using to take the bait, most anglers couldn’t detect the light bite. Walleyes are hitting leeches and crawlers with livebait rigs both drifted and trolled. I also know of the jig and minnow working in some instances with a vertical jigging technique. The biggest fish of the mentioned tournament was taken on a crankbait, so as you can see the options are open. The most consistent depths to find walleyes would be in the midteens. Smallmouth bass season is closed. Catfish season is open as it is all year long, but most catfish angling takes place when the water warms up more. Crappie fishing has been good as been reported by small handful of anglers, actually the St. Croix has very good crappie fishing and these fish go virtually untouched as most anglers pursue walleye. These river fish are interesting because they can be found on both rock with light current and in the typical lake locations of the shallows (early season) and docks. Water level is 678.0 and water temperature in 58 degrees. Keep catchin’ and have fun!

Nice report as usual, thanks.

Turk, is that Beach Bar tourney an invite only?

wurd

Oh no kaptnkarl is back! Bar your doors and hide the children, women start to run!

Kaptn I heard the Birdboy was quite the guide on friday?

T.

Thanks!! Hope to see ya out on the River sometime...

Leeches Guys, Leeches. Most people "Default" to minnows. I watch a lot of Guys in boats using minnows just sit there while I use Leeches and catch more Walleyes. Try Leeches. smile.gif

yup we started the year out right... the turkey hunting was great also ... see out there soon

Hey kaptnkarl just wondering if you might be a guy I knew from years back that moved up around moorehead ? I called him "BIG C" his family was from afton. Just courious, thanks

Heading just south of Bay port Tomorrow morning. Hopefully the fish will be hitting. Fished a metro lake today and not much going. Hopefully the river will be a different story.