Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Otter

Rip-Rap Crappies...

10 posts in this topic

Hit the water today ~Noon with the thought of trying a bunch of different presentations before reverting back to knowing what worked this past Saturday. I started out pitching hair jigs to timber in 2 - 6' of water and I simply could not keep the 'gills off. Although it was fun, it was crappies I was after on this day. I then made a switch over to jigs and tube baits and pitched to fresh vegetation over sand. I did find some crappies doing this but the size was not that great, averaging mainly between 6 - 8". I had one more presentation that I wanted to try before heading to the plastics under a float bite; draggin' blade baits and spoons. I moved out to the "first break" of a popular spawning area and started to immediately make contact with crappies in the 10 - 12" range but 98% of them were female, so I decided to leave them alone. This was a bite, though, that was a lot of fun and it's simple to do. I was using Cicada's (a sonar) and Swedish Pimples and just throwing them behind the boat and then inching forward ~0.5 - 1.0 mph. In the end, working rip-rap shorelines with plastics under a float in 4 - 6" of water was the show-stopper. The amount of 10 - 12" fish using this type of structure right now is amazing. When I got settled into a location, I was catching fish on every cast. The key was to cast the presentation on or very close to shore and then drag it back through where the fish were sitting. In most cases, as soon as the presentation was falling off the first ledge of rip-rap, the bobber was going down. For the day, I probably put close to 75 fish in the boat, with 60% of them falling in that range of quality, from 10 - 12". I did stick a couple pushing 13" and again, they were female, so I got them back in the water as quick as possible. It sure would have been nice to have some company. grin.gif It was a beautiful afternoon on the water.

Well, enough of this crappie fishing. It's time to switch gears and start focusing on the '07 walleye season! I look forward to seeing many of you on the water this season.

At-A-Boy. grin.gif

I am game after I get this gobble thing out of my system. I should never started to play with them dam calls this last winter. shocked.gif

TO. You game for next Monday out there? ... Thats my next day off of work.

Nice report Jamison! I can't wait to get out there Wednesday and have some fun myself. One more pannie outing for me and then the REAL fun begins! wink.gifgrin.gif

Nice title. If you would of went first thing in the morning I might have been able to make it but the afternoon was no good. Oh yeah good job and next time maybe or should I say probably! tongue.gif

Nice report TO. I hope to have 1/2 the fish you had this Friday afternoon/evening. Going to try my luck on Frances.

The turkey calling from your truck in February and March was a nice twist though. grin.gif

Monday is out for me. Sorry.

You came up with it on Saturday so I had to use it. grin.gif