• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

leeches

I live in a newer development. I have a pond in my backyard, and I thought I would check to see if there was an bait in there. I have been able to trap decent fatheads, so I thought I would try for some leeches. I only can get the medicine leeches (the ones with the spots down the back). Has anyone used those for bait, or should I just forget out them? Why can't I get the ribbon leeches or are there non in there? I am just using beef liver for bait. Any help would be appreciated.

If you aren't catching any, there probably aren't any in there. With what you are using for bait you should catch them if they are in there. I would think that the ones you have caught should work just fine for bait as well.

You have to find a winterkill lake or pond with no game fish. Shallow water bodies that freeze all the way to the bottom or are so oxygen-starved under the ice that all fish die. It sounds like your pond is just a little too "good" for ribbon leeches. wink.gif

Quote:

I would think that the ones you have caught should work just fine for bait as well.

Actually I have read that in side by side tests a fish will eat up a ribbon leech and spit out any blood sucking leech.

If there are minnows inb your pond I suspect that they ate all of the ribbon leeches, especially the young.

I have tried the spotted leeches but have not caught many walleyes with them. They might work great for panfish though because they are usually smaller leeches.

Cliff

I was always told that fish did not eat the blood suckers. I just believed what I was told and have never tried them.

I have never had any luck when I tried a bloodsucker for bait.

The spotted leeches are leeches so they probably would work as bait.

Cliff