• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Small engine (mower) issue.

TRITC

Question

OK, here's the deal...riding lawn mower with about 14.5 horse engine, circa '98-'99 (I'm going off memory here). Before storing it last fall I sea-foamed the gas and ran it for a while. This spring threw the battery charger on it for a couple minutes and then fired it up and it ran just fine. Then I transported back to my house and now it won't turn over.

It seems like the starter doesn't have the strength to turn over the motor. Well I got a brand new starter for it and same thing; it will spin the motor part way around but once the piston gets near the top of the cylinder at the highest compression point it won't keep turning over. Oil level is fine.

Any ideas? Should I pull the plug and spray some sort of lube in the cylinder?

Thanks,

TRITC

9 answers to this question

Pull the plug and try to turn it over. Be careful you may have raw fuel spray out. It could be, (depending on the design of the motor) that while transporting it the bouncing around caused the float to allow raw gas to bypass it and run into the cylinder causing it to hydro lock.

How old is your battery? The first time with the charger you may have had enough surface charge to start it, but later the charge goes away.

Another possibility, the solenoid. I have a 7 year old 19hp MTD/Briggs & Stratton that I have had to replace the solenoid 3 times - that acted as you describe. This doesn't make sense that it would be the fix, but it has been 3 times for me.

Good suggestions by both!!

OK, I pulled the plug and turned it over; nothing appeared to spray out. I put the plug back in and same thing; the starter doesn’t seem to have the "strength" to rotate the motor past the highest compression. I pulled the plug again and connected the plug to the wire and turned it over; no spark! Not sure what the deal is there but it doesn’t make sense to me (not that I know what the heII I am doing) that that would affect the starter’s ability to fully turn over the engine.

Do I have an issue with the ignition coil (or is it called a magneto?)? Would that affect the starter’s ability to crank the engine???

Ideas???

PS. This is a 15.5 HP I/C OHV Briggs

Try a known, good battery like your car/truck battery or boat starting battery. If it starts right up then you know it's battery related.

A lot of riding mowers have a safty switch in the seat so if you are not sitting on it you wont get a spark. I would take the starter apart and see if it is gummed up or one of the brushes is shot. Also remove all wires and clean with sand paper and make sure all connections are tight.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Can anyone point me to a place in the Roseville area that would have a solenoid in stock?

Would this cause the no-spark issue as well?

possible coil pack issue.

If your solenoid is mounted on the tractor somewhere (under the floorboard in front of the seat is where mine is) - I didn't use their expensive one. I used an old style Ford automotive solenoid available at any auto parts store, and it works great - managed to mount it without changing anything.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.