• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

When to take my daughter fishing

My daughter is only 18 months old and I know it's a little early, but when do you start getting them into fishing? My wife has a fear of water and won't go on the boat so she's not anxious to let me take my girl out with me. She does like shore fishing though, but I doubt my daughter has the attention span for that yet. When did you all get your kids going out in the boat with you. I love spending time with her and can't wait till we can go out and have out own time together.

Nobody knows your child better than you and the Mrs. When you feel it's comfortable is the best time to take the kiddo. The sooner the better. They get bored quick so if you're not pulling them in right and left have other things for her to do.

I started taking mine when they were old enough to hold the rod and could almost reel in a fish. I think it was when they were around 3 or so. I didn't feel comfortable taking them ice fishing till they were big enough to not fit down a 8" hole.

My wife and I took our boys out when they where about 2 1/2. By the third time out they where casting well (15' plus) setting the hook and reelin them in.

Bring a couple of toys, some snacks, and make sure everyone wheres some sunglasses to protect the eyes from the hooks when you decide to go.

It really depends on the kid... My daughter caught her first at 23months. My son is 13 months and can cast his "Cars" fishing pole a good 15 feet or so. He'll be getting his first on the next nice day... grin.gif

Something to remember, they don't stay interested when fishing is slow. Bring a portable DVD player, books, toys, and lots of snacks. DON'T FORGET THE SUNSCREEN!

I don't know about age but I had to share this idea. An old timer told me once, take them pike fishing when they are young and rig them up with light line. When they do get a pike it will break off and they'll be hooked for life. That might be a little cruel but it's an interesting idea.

That explains the avatar. grin.gif That's not a bad idea though. You can use it on them years later. I have a feeling that if I have a daughter I might break that out. I'm guessing if I have a boy, the apple won't fall far from the tree. Who knows. Too many uncertainties to predict.

Mine were probably around three. Bring spare rods so they don't wait while you untangle or re-tie.

my little girl is 3, and she loves to looks at my bps catalogs and fishing books. i got her a pole for easter, but she is not ready yet. she likes to chase the casting plug. my son is 15 months, and i think he willbe ready before she is. cool.gif

Well my case is rather unique as my x split shortly after my daughter was born. So my daughter has been in the boat with me since she was barely 4 months old and I don't remember for sure but I think she was fishing on her own by the time she was 18 months. Come Saturday she will be out with me and she is now 26 and expecting her own little girl in less than a month. grin.gif But as said all kids are different and having other things along for them to keep them occupied is a must.

Lynn J.

Remember their attention span is very short. A day of fishing might be only half an hour with them, but it can be a great half an hour.

Safety first, be sure they wear their own life vest that fits them properly.

The best time to start your kid fishing is when they start to show interest in the sport. Don't try and fish the whole time in the boat or on the dock. Just make sure you have other things to keep them interested (i.e. crackers, chips, juice, coloring books, dolls, etc). Just try and make sure it is a positive experience.

I started my kids when they were almost 2. Now my daughters don't care to go too often but my youngest boy (5yrs) won't hardly let me go out by myself.

Enjoy every minute you have with your child because they grow up real quick and start liking different things. Get them interested in fishing and give them the tools to have for future fishing experiences. They will eventually put the make-up and boys aside and go with Dad from time to time. laugh.gif

Enjoy your daughter,

Corey Bechtold

By 18 months my daughters were fishing with me quite a bit. Even night fishing until around 10 or 11 some nights. Mostly they played in the boat and would reel in small fish, play with minnows etc. at that age. They learned to love fishing and have gotten pretty good. My fishing trips revolved around them, fun, and learning, not my fishing quality.

My now 12 year old daughters biggest fish are as follows:

29.5" walleye (many 25"-27")

40", 17 pound northern

52" sturgeon

19" smallmouth

My younger daughter is on her way to similar catches.

Ya think they'll fish the rest of their life? I hope so.

Bring an ice cream bucket and some TP!

ccarlson

My wife and I were in Gander Mountain this weekend and she picked up a life jacket for our daughter. Our daughter is 6 months old. Granted she won't be fishing this year but my wife wants to get her out in the boat.

My wife and I took our 2 1/2 year old niece fishing last weekend. It was her first time in a boat (on the water!) She loved it! PRICELESS!!! If the kids know you love fishing, they will pick it up too. Just remember: leave the stress at home. You're not out to win a tournament, just to introduce a loved one to a passion. Have fun.

How about a new post with first time fishing trips?

Well.. my kiddies are 7 and 5.. and it is still VERY hard to bring them fishing.. without Lego's and other toys.. since there is NEVER a good enough bite for them.. I took Luke out (7 year old) at 5 years old for the first time.. and I have to tell you I could not fish.. it was all about him! It's tough! I don't think kids are REALLY ready to 'fish' until they are probably around 10-12 years old really... to really get into it as an angler.

i took my daughter shore fishing when she was 3 I would cast it out and tell her to reel it in after 10 minutes to make sure she had bait and she loved it then she had a walleye bite while she was reeling in she yells DAD I THINK I HAVE A FISH! I didnt pay much attention until i heard the fish splashing in the rocks and saw it was a walleye. I think i was more excited then she was. The thing to remember when taking your youngsters fishing is that 1) have stuff for them to do besides fishing such as a color book, a story book, dolls, cars, trucks stuff that they like to play with these things will allow you more quality time with them out in the boat or from shore reguardless if the fish are biting 2)also remember when you take small children with and teaching them to fish that its about them learning to fish not you trying to catch a limit or a big one to brag to buddies about . Its about quality time with children outdoors enjoying the outdoors and not staring at a television set or playing a gameboy all day. My daughter reminded me a couple weeks ago about the time i had dumped the dead minnows out of the bucket just to the side of where we were fishing and the 2 mallards that would swim to shore waddle up and eat the minnows this happened several times until the one day those ducks were eating a minnow off the end of my boot and within inches of where my daughter sat she was so fascinated.

I have a nephue who is 3.5 years old... I took him fishing 6 times or so last year.. He can cast, set the hook and reel the fish in all on his own... I take the fish off for him. The best was... one time he looks at me and says.. "Uncle Deitz Dude.... I think this is a cold spot.(he had made 3 casts without catching a fish) I think there is a hot spot over there, here(sits at the steering wheel of my Triton) I'll help you drive!"

That was priceless!!!

Took my daughter out last summer at 20 months and let her see the bait and caught a couple and let her touch them..she was excited then had her hold the pole and helped her reel the next couple in and she had a blast

It's definitely up to how you feel about her being "ready" for it or not. I've got 4 kids, 15,13,9 & 2... 3 girls, the 9 yr. old is a boy. The oldest fishes here & there, but no major love of it, the 13 yr. old fishes, hunts, drives the boat, etc., etc., etc... the boy... he's hot & cold with fishing, and my 2 yr. old loves boat rides, she's got her own Disney Princess rod this year, and will be out there on opener if the weather's decent. Each child is different, so you be the judge. Maybe you'll have one who loves to ride in the boat, and once she sees Daddy catch something, she'll want to do it. The big thing is to make sure that she is having fun doing it! Once she's not, that's when you lose them.

Good luck and enjoy having her with you!

here is a pict of me and my fishing buddie last year..

DI2.jpg

You may not be fishing much but at any age you can get outdoors with the kids is the right time. As long as everyone is safe it should be ok. As far as the wife being concerned you will never get her over that. Never get between a mama bear and her cubs.

PS leech races are actualy exciting and can entertain kids for 20 minutes easy.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't know that she's the right age for fishing yet, but I would like to get her out on the boat. The kid loves water. I was going to get her a princess rode. She actually was holding one of my 6' rods last year when she was 6 months and played with it. I'm going to see if I can get her to figure out the reeling and then I think the Mrs and I will take her out for some potato chips from shore. Thanks again, it looks like I just have to ease her in and see how it goes. Keep your stories coming, fun to hear. I want the Daddy/Daughter time more than catching fish anyway so I don't care if I'm catching anything as long as she is.

My grandpa started taking me out in his boat when I was only a month old. He straped my carseat in there and took me out. Not the safest thing and when my mom found out how I was fishing with him, she just about tore his head off, and told him he couldn't take me fishing again until he got me a life jacket that would fit. What did he do? He told my mom to get in the truck and they took me to get one. We lived down south and he was an old farmer and he would take me fishing every day after he got done in the fields. Needless to say, I picked it up very quick and by a year, I had caught my first fish on my own.

Now I have a little one and I am about to take him out in the boat for his first little trip. He is only 10 months old, but I would like to get him out there and catch a couple little gills and let him play with them in the boat. He already has an ultra-light and has figured out how to turn the handle on the reel, I think he is more impressed with the bail spinning than anything, but once he feels a fish on the other end of the line, he will be hooked.

I look forward to being able to spend quality time with him on the water, and that is what it is all about in my opinion.

Tom

This is a great thread to hear how we introduced our kids to fishing. My daughter didn't show an interest until about 10 years old. The key is catching fish to keep them interested. Then the occasional big fish helps out too. She has caught her share of bass and pike. She is now 17 and she says she really didn't like to fish. I think this comes with the age. I think she really likes it when she tells boys she knows how to fish and what she has caught. She doesn't fish as much now, but likes to read a book while in the boat and casts a line when she feels like it. The time spent in the boat and the reactions she shows when she does catch fish are priceless. Memories you just can't forget.

When walking in the woods, I always stopped to share some obvservations with my kids... deer droppings, buck scrapes, deer beds, etc. WHen in the boat, I share similar observations with waterfowl, Eagles, etc.. they soak eveything up like a sponge. Now when they go outside, they like to play DNR. They go look for stuff similar to what we observed. My loves it when I act out how a Northern will look at a hook, then strike it. You can see the gears turning when he fishes. Just simply talking to them about what is happening and trying to make it sound like one of their children's books is a great way to "hook'em" on the outdoors. My son is a preteen and the neighbor kids are in to fancy clothes, video games, skateboards and all that garbage. My son is saving his allowance for a bow. laugh.gif