Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
picksbigwagon

Oak Lake

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone shed some light on Oak Lake (I think it is called Big Oak on the gps chip)? Might be heading there on the 19th if the fishing is worth while.....thanks

85 looks and no responses, would this be better on the duluth page?

which Oak lake are you talking about. the one by Duqette off of Hi way 23.?

Yes, the one by Duquette is the one I am talking about, never been there

I have fished it a couple of times. Caught a nice 38 inch Northern ice fishing about 4 years ago. It is suppose to have walleyes but I haven't found them. A friend of my wife hsa gotten some nice ones but I think he said the trick is you have to be out there before the sun comes up.

I have a cabin on the lake and the walleye fishing was very slow last summer. Low water levels, thick weeds and a large population of small perch made walleye fishing tough.

Oak I've fished it for years,Bass & larger nothern west shore by the culvert to little oak,right in the rushes!Sunfish,from the same culvert east to first point you'll see lilly pads,out in middle of lake hump,Huffman can tell ya about where it is.Walleyes the two islands between them and the isle east on every side but the west its shallow bar.Also on the west side point by the outlet 7' of water all around that point.Walleyes are weed orientated get right in the submerged weeds!In that same bay fish the docks and shallow reeds for crappie & sunies GOOD LUCK!! PS Let me know how ya do! To find hump line up public landing with church steeple on north side motor to sleeple its close to half way across.

Or to find the hump, just look for the group of boats in the middle of the lake!!

what is working best for bait then, leeches minnows or crawlers? My plan is to start trolling the west and north sides of the lake with crawler and leeches, then between the islands too. I am not worried about finding the hump, hopefully there won't be a ton of boats out there, how is the landing, is it pretty good?

Did you have any luck?

Ron where'es your cabin?? the eyes always have been hard cause people fish traditionally,rocks,holes,humps,on Oak its weeds also soak a medium sucker in 7' straight out from Huffmans,get out after sundown or before sunup,you may get some bigger notherns that way also.

We are in the bay on the east side behind the island. I plan to get a bit more serious this summer and chase the eyes a little harder. I have done pretty well on bass and early crappies. The past two summers have been more work and less fun as the cabin we bought needed a lot of work.

we got there saturday morning about 7, first truck in the parking lot, double checked the truck alarm since that huge house looked so quiet and peaceful next to the landing grin.gif

we trolled all morning, trying find anything that would bite. trolled crawlers, leeches, drifted and jigged, trolled cranks and sticks and all we got were 4 good sized bluegills and one snotrocket. No one else out there (4-9 boats through out the morning)seemed to be catching anything. We packed up at 2 and drove to Big Pine before we were chilled off that lake.

Oak lake seemed like a nice lake, I will be back.

Thanks for all the help, I did find the midlake hump and entered it into the GPS. Of course it took us a while to find the church.

we were in a grey crestliner with a 40hp and a 9.9 kicker to boot, anyone here out there