• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Punto For Gold Glove

zamboni

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zamboni

• blue_healer_guy

• bull_head

• SledNeck

I will second that one! Heck, even third it!

He is a real treat to watch!

they gave him an error tonight???????

just to get to the ball was a great feat, since he was playing the line at the end of the game.

Throwing that ball off the seat of his pants was unreal. He does this stuff 5 times a week.

Should not have been ruled an error IMO

And it was called an error at home? tuff crowd.

There is NO WAY Punto will win a gold glove. Not this year or next or EVER. There are so many better 3B in the league.

No, I think you mean there's better hitting, bigger name 3rd basemen in the league. Puntos as good as Chavez, but he will never hit 5 or more home runs in a season, ever, which will leave him out in the cold. That's a shame- I thought a Gold Glove is for defensive play, not getting your name on Baseball Tonight everynight for hitting homers.

All are really good at 3B Chavez, Crede, Lowell, Inge. Just to name a few. I'd take each one of them before Punto.

All bigger names, better hitters than Punto. Another thing, remember, Punto was moved to third a year ago, beings it's a new position, I think hes up there.

For offense I would take Chavez, for defense I would take Punto...nobody plays harder.

Punto still has no errors on the year. The official scorer took his error off the board from last night and scored it a hit.

Aaron

If anyone saw his aboslutely sick play in the top of the 9th during todays game it should prove he is a gold glove caliber player. But he has pretty tough competition, and it is partly a popularity contest. Which is unfortunate.

Heck he should of had one last year also, not many better than Punto at third plus he has that little flash about him when he comes up with those plays.

Maybe some of us are homers, but just because we drink a lot of beer doesnt mean that we cant pick out a real good defensive third baseman. Just because he isnt hitting dingers, doesnt take away from him being a clutch 3 bagger.

Lowell has 8 errors and Punto has 0. I think I'll take Punto.

FI

bull heads an Iowegian hater. I have never taken advice from someone from Iowa, nor will I start

Let's face the facts here guys, Punto is a 2 day a week utility infielder period. We have 16 homers as a team right now. Your 3 bagger, ss, and 2 bagger combined will hit about 10 hr's this season. Can't win the big one with this production. I'll take any 3b with 30 homers over Punto's defense anyday. Your all getting caught up in that hustle, mN nice thing again.

BULL HEAD- first thing first, I am just messing with ya. Another thing, that MJGROSE- Pete Rose hit less than a hundred homers in his career, would you rather have his "hustle" or Albert Belle on your team? Plus Punto has turned into an "everyday" 3rd basemen, not a "2 day a week" utility infielder. I will take his performance at third anyday. He prevents alot of doubles and triples making it all the way out to the corner with his play, which prevents alot of runs from being scored. He doesn't just knock the ball down either, he has a cannon for an arm and 9 times out of 10, gets up and throws the runners out by 4 steps.

Punto may not get the home runs, but he does prevent them! He may only hit 5 a year, but how many runs does he save a year, 25? if so its a wash!

All those other guys are equally as good as punto at 3B or better. Plus they hit 25+ HR a year. I'll take either one of them. I'll even take Lowell and his 8 errors this year. He did win a gold glove a couple years ago. Something Punto will never do!

I have to disagree with you bull head. Punto gives you one of the best defensive 3rd basemen in the league. While the power isn't there, he is one of the sparkplugs on the team, giving you the ability to steal bases, very good bunter, and the never quit attitude. Plus you know that he will give you 110% every night. He definitely deserves a gold glove, and even though he is from a small market team, last year should have shown everyone what is possible. ( MVP Morneau) Punto probably has the most range of the third basemen out there. Offfensive prowness at the plate does not and should not factor into gold glove voting. smirk.gif

Granted the twins can't just go out there and spend cash on a quality 3B. There stuck with a utility IF.

A sparkplug would be Eric Chavez or Joe Crede. Great fielders and hit with average and power.

Punto is a lifetime .258 hitter. This year he is batting .229 with 17 SO. A #2 hitter should be going down and strikes that many times.

Zamboni, don't want to get into a pizzing match here with you on this one. I take it Punto may be your favorite twin. To each his own. My point, and I realize your original post is a gold glove, a team can't afford to have Punto as anything but a utility player. There maybe only 3 teams in the league he would be a starter for at 3b, us, Tampa Bay and the Royals. He is on pace for 30 Rbi. Along with our ss and 2nd basemen, combined they will have about 100. You also mentioned a Pete Rose comparison. Pete rose is a hall of famer for his offense, i.e. most hits alltime. If your a traditionalist, your power #'s and rbi#'s have to come from your 3b,1b and your outfield. He just don't cut it for me no matter how good his defense is. Remember also, the only reason he is playing today is the failure of Batista last year. Just goes to show you how much the organization thought of him last year. Granted he had a nice year last year, but I was a year younger then too smile.gif

If you are going to take the stats for april and say that is good, why don't we just take the top two teams and play the world series???? Season is young, lets see how he does as the season goes on. He seems to be having a good game tonight. Yes the Twins are my team, always have been always will be. Call me a homer, or whatever you want, I will always enjoy the game. grin.gif

why if you are gonna project his stats, he will go the whole season without an error, how grand is that?? bottom line is this, if we had power from somewhere else (SS, 2B, LF, DH) then you absolutely would want Punto at third. Lacking power elsewhere, you have to think about him. How about LF? why not have the same discussion about that position? we dont even get outstanding defense there.

Quote:

Zamboni, don't want to get into a pizzing match here with you on this one. I take it Punto may be your favorite twin. To each his own. My point, and I realize your original post is a gold glove, a team can't afford to have Punto as anything but a utility player. There maybe only 3 teams in the league he would be a starter for at 3b, us, Tampa Bay and the Royals. He is on pace for 30 Rbi. Along with our ss and 2nd basemen, combined they will have about 100. You also mentioned a Pete Rose comparison. Pete rose is a hall of famer for his offense, i.e. most hits alltime. If your a traditionalist, your power #'s and rbi#'s have to come from your 3b,1b and your outfield. He just don't cut it for me no matter how good his defense is. Remember also, the only reason he is playing today is the failure of Batista last year. Just goes to show you how much the organization thought of him last year. Granted he had a nice year last year, but I was a year younger then too
smile.gif

Actually- no hes not my favorite Twin. EVERY one of your stats you bring up have to do with a bat in his hand- NOT A GLOVE, hence- PUNTO FOR GOLD GLOVE, not PUNTO FOR SILVER SLUGGER or PUNTO FOR HR CROWN! Besides, you say that 1B, 3B and OF have to make up the offense structure of a team, well Punto doesn't get alot of RBIs, but I see Catcher is missing from your list. Doesn't having a Joe Mauer on the Twins roster kind of compensate? There are alot of teams in the majors that have poor hitting catchers, so Mauer makes up for our weak hitting infield.

The reason I didn't bring up Mauer is he doesn't hit for power or Rbi's, typical of most catchers. We might as well put Joe as our leadoff hitter and move our 2nd baseman in the 9 slot. If you re-read my post , I did mention your post was for gold glove. Can't have a gold glove 3 bagger that's not a run producer at 3rd.

Then I guess the system is flawed then. Sad. Maybe thats why Bert hasn't made the HOF- never played for the Yankees. The voters got the MVP right last season, at least.