Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MMS3rd

Kawishiwi from Farm

7 posts in this topic

Thought about trying something different and wondered about the fishing in the Kawishiwi River going east from Farm Lake. Do you need to take a canoe through? It appears you can travel quite a ways without portages (am I just missing them?) Thanks.

The Kawishiwi River is part of the BWCA east of Farm. You need a canoe because no motors are allowed and you also need a BWCA permit.

You can travel for a little bit before it becomes BWCA (1/4 mile?), but after that it is a beautiful stretch of area to paddle through. You don't hit the first portage for a while, but that one is not too bad. After that one there is a longer portage, but there are campsites along the way. The fishing between the two portages is good for bass and northern, it is pretty shallow. There is a portage into Greenstone (out of BWCA) in that area, but it has a killer hill.

We went in at the Farm Lake entry for a trip in 2000. Camped on Clear Lake and did day trips fishing the S Kawishiwi in the area just north of Little Gabbro Lake. Lots of nice walleye and smallmouth. It's two short portages and then a 176 rod carry to Clear Lake. The island site is nice. Or, if you take the N Kawishiwi route, it's 4 short portages and 210 rods to the NE corner of this popular 'triangle' route. Three very nice campsites in this area before it joins the S Kawishiwi again. We've stayed in this area after coming in the Ojibway-Triangle entry from the north.

Get a McKenzie map: #18 - Lake One.

Thanks a lot. This will be the umpteenth trip north, but staying somewhere new for a change of pace. Would it be a good idea to arrange permits ahead of time for day trips?

Your group only needs one entry permit unless you leave the BWCAW and go back in. By 'day trips,' I meant heading out fishing from our campsite that we stayed at for 3 nights, staying within the BDub, and heading back again to have 'em for supper. grin.gif

Do you have a permit yet? Better get on it if you don't and I hope your dates are flexible. Take a look at bwcawdotorg for availability.

We'll be staying at Farm Lake but would like to take a trip or two down (up?) the river. (need to study my Laurentian Divide again).