Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott M

Rainy Days and Mondays always get Toms down

2 posts in this topic

The Carpents hit "Rainy Days and Mondays" may end up getting the "D" season hunters down, especially on their last day of the season. Looks like it's gonna be raining through most of MN turkey land over the end of "D" and into "E"

What kind of things can hunters do in rainy situations to improve their chances of bagging ol Tom?

I love hunting in the rain, even thunderstorms, but when weather is changing like that, I think the key is adapting to the situations/weather immediately. When the clouds break and sun comes down, esp. after a period of prolonged rain, birds are on the move....many times to field locations. I've been fooled by puffed up hens, drying out in the sun, thinking they were strutting toms from distance.

Late night thunderstorms into the morning is wonderful. Those birds can stay on roost for a long time if some boomers and dark clouds are coming through. The ground is usually softer and wetter, and with all the noise, I tend to try and get very close to the roost. The best part is that if it's a true thunderstorm that passes as quickly as it comes, the birds are usually very eager to get out of that tree and come to some yelping.

A light rain is personal favorite for field hunts. Stay away from fields that have been chisel-plowed with corn stubble and are generally very difficult to walk in. This isn't always the case, but many times, it's hard for them to walk in those too. Many times I've seen groups of birds in low alfalfa or bean stubble just picking their way through fields on a rainy day. Pastures are good too. Seeing a bird eat a fresh crawler is enough too make me puke, but they sure seem to like it.

Rain and wind is something I don't care for. If it's an area with good hills, I usually find birds in small protected ravines. Deep-ones, or on the lee-side of a big slope protected from the wind. That's if they're not still on roost in the same locations. Rain with heavy wind conditions can really make it difficult in MN with 5 day seasons.

Don't let the rain get you down. Poor weather makes for less turkeys killed in MN. That's a stat that seems to hold.....but I'm thinking it's because hunters, not turkeys, are inactive during these periods.

Joel

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• gunner55
      Seen a post from last night that the front of a truck went thru at the access in Walker, so Poutfest is in doubt.
    • Chill62
      Fished this weekend around Vergas for Tuilibees and ice conditions were loking good till sunday mid day.  The public access are getting chewed up quickly and PLEASE use caution going onto a lake if you are driving.  The next 24 hours will not be friendly for our accesses and sadly if someone is going to fall through it's going to be right out in front of one.  I fished Big Pine on Sunday and found a hole that had been created 4" and I could shove the handle of my ice scoop down 24" without a problem.  It wasn't there when I parked 3-4 hours earlier.  Fishing in the area was slow but fish were very curious and chasing lures.  Saw a bunch of guys our chasing crappies and with how quickly they were moving they weren't having much luck.  We found them on big pine and they were very lathargic.  Saw them on camera and they were barely moving around.  Thought with the water running down the holes they'd be feeding like crazy and that wasn't the case.  We caught a decent amount of tuilibees nothing like last weekend but a ton of SMALL ones.  Few a bunch back down the holes.  I'll be hitting it hard this up coming weekend but I'm using a four wheeler to drive around and I'm hoping Wednesday-Friday morning is going to freeze up hard enough to make it safe.  I have 20-25 guys coming up for a pro staff get together so need to find lakes to try out and explore.   Tight Lines and PLEASE STAY SAFE!
    • Chill62
      Fished Big Pine Sunday afternoon.  Drove out Saturday and checked ice conditions and they looked great so decided Sunday was go.  Got there and set up for crappies and instantly had a nice fish and it wrapped up in the transducer and I lost him.  That was my highlight.  We set the house up to block the wind since the girlfriend was with and trying to make it fun for her.  When we tore down wow did the lake look different!  We found a hole that we could shove the hole of the ice scoop down  24" and it didn't hit anything.  It wasn't there when we started fishing!  Water was murky as heck and lots of floaters in the water.  Fish were LATHARGIC! saw them on camera and they barely moved through the water swimming around.  Usually we have our camera 4-5 feet away from the jig with perfect clarity not the case this weekend 4' away and we never found our spoon!  Coming off the ice the access was getting chewed up but was still passable.  People need to slow down!  We got passed by a pickup doing 30-35 twice!  We were taking it around 10 mph and was causing waves in the water.  Wont be driving back out until there is a good freeze for a while!
    • AlwaysFishing23
      It's worth a try. I found all mine right next to my house like a foot or less I did find some that were 6-7 feet away. Good luck!
    • Hawg
      I'm going to look too. Yard is wet and there should be a few around. Be a good time to try the shock method.