• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake McCarron

I live around the corner from this lake and have never caught anything other 'gills and an occasional dinkie bass. DNR lake finder says its been stocked with wallies for years and I have rarely seen anyone out there fishing for 'em. Sounds like there should be some decent sizers in there by now. I haven't even tried, but am thinking about giving it a shot. AFTER THE OPENER.

Just wondering if anyone has given 'er a shot and if they had any luck.

Johnny Da Der,

I saw that you go to grad school at the U, are you at the St. Paul campus? My better half is currently halfway through there.

I just moved 2 blocks away to the Northwest of this lake, and finally got my boat parked in the garage last night.

I read that the DNR's walleye program was deemed unsuccessful and they have stopped the walleye stocking on this lake.

I'd be interested in trying it for some gators/bass on this lake sometime-it looks pretty featureless.

Where have you tried fishing on the lake? Any spots worth checking?

I have pretty much tried the entire shoreline from a canoe or a float boat. Most of the time though, I just wade out into the shallows from the southern side of the dock. 99% of the time I target little sunnies with a light weight fly rod.

I tried through the ice in 20' range off that rounded point with the house on the southern edge and caught a few tiny perch.

I talked to a guy last year buzzing topwater stuff over the weeds on the western edge. He says there are muskie in there and there is a muskie sign at the boat launch. Also saw people catch a handful of northern, a couple pretty good sizers.

I used to catch a few decent bass when targeting the sunnies, but a couple summers ago some guy on the dock brought home a bass or two, literally everyday. Haven't caught anything but dinkie-dinks since then.

I don't know. But I do know that that lake has pretty much no pressure, other than the worm wad and giant bobber crew off the dock.

Yes, I do go to the SP campus at the U of M. I study environmental microbiology, specifically, I try to figure out what animals are contributing to fecal contamination of our lakes and rivers.

I've got a really funny story about that lake too:

Last summer I waded out from the southern edge of that dock and moved towards this fallen tree on the shore put to my stuff down. I kinda climbed back into the little wooded area over there a bit to take a leak. I saw a pair of shoes laying there, then I noticed those shoes were connected to a pair of jeans. Then I saw that whatever was above those jeans was all wrapped up with a sheet. I moved up a little closer and realized that there was a body wrapped up in a sheet laying face down on top of all this brush, rocks and saplings. The head was all wrapped up in the sheet too. And it stunk. Like rotting stuff stinks. It was right up against this 5-6' wall off with the sidewalk and street above. I thought, Holy @$#%, somebody tossed this dead body off from the sidewalk above into this little wooded area. My heart was beating so fast and hard I could hear it in my ears.

I think that some sort of 12 year old boy instinct took over me, I can't explain my following actions: I took a big stick and poked it right into the sheet where I thought the neck would be.

And then.......

This homeless guy springs up and is says, "what the @$##, man, i am trying to take a nap here!"

I had to go home and change my underwear.

This little lake a a few surprises left up in store. But you need to do alot of fishing on it to catch that surprise. The DNR no longer stocks it with eyes as far as I know. You can fish it all day and catch potatoe chips, occasional bass or pike.

HAHAHA! Hilarious story! By any chance did you get that on Youtube? hahaha j/k

Ive fished Mccarron once, Ive never been back since there was an Ecoli breakout on that lake I believe 2 years ago? Ive never caught anything, but talkin to a few locals I saw I hear they catch decent size northerns.

unfortunately i didn't get that on youtube.

there was an E. coli outbreak there last summer. August, I think. They closed down the beach for a couple weeks. That lake is pretty clean most of time. Probably geese or a leaky diaper in the swim area. I sampled that lake two days before it got closed down and the levels were way below the standard for closing the beach. They were back down a few weeks later too.

I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Used to be a secret jewel...

Walleyes on the beach, Bass in the slop, big ones in the lilly's and bulls too.

All that swimming killed the lake...

Quote:

unfortunately i didn't get that on youtube.

there was an E. coli outbreak there last summer. August, I think. They closed down the beach for a couple weeks. That lake is pretty clean most of time. Probably geese or a leaky diaper in the swim area. I sampled that lake two days before it got closed down and the levels were way below the standard for closing the beach. They were back down a few weeks later too.

I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Im not surprise. I've seen all sorts of garbage in that lake. Diapers, condoms, clothing, cans.

If that doesn't deter you than im sure you'll catch some fish.

Quote:

Nah, I believe it is still an untapped resource in the Metro area... This is no doubt, still one of the best lakes to fish at located in the Metro... I dont know about you guys, but in the early spring time, I catch 7 to 9 inch crappies in that lake... After Pike opener, Im consistently catching pikes..... As for after the bass opener, Im catching 2 to 4 pound bass on a regular basis.... Great lake, no fishing crowd or pressure, and great beach view during the hot summer days ....... I can't ask for anything more!

Quote:

Quote:

Nah, I believe it is still an untapped resource in the Metro area... This is no doubt, still one of the best lakes to fish at located in the Metro... I dont know about you guys, but in the early spring time, I catch 7 to 9 inch crappies in that lake... After Pike opener, Im consistently catching pikes..... As for after the bass opener, Im catching 2 to 4 pound bass on a regular basis.... Great lake, no fishing crowd or pressure, and great beach view during the hot summer days ....... I can't ask for anything more!

And coincidentally, by posting all of that information you just did(whether true or not), you can expect more fishing pressure/crowds this year. Not trying to be a jerk by any means, but if it is a lake that is as good as you advertise it to be, then you should be a little more secretive about your experiences at it. I'm sure you'd prefer that it stays the way it is with little to no pressure, correct?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And coincidentally, by posting all of that information you just did(whether true or not), you can expect more fishing pressure/crowds this year. Not trying to be a jerk by any means, but if it is a lake that is as good as you advertise it to be, then you should be a little more secretive about your experiences at it. I'm sure you'd prefer that it stays the way it is with little to no pressure, correct?

Wow, did I just reveal your secret lake or something? LOL.. Nah, i dont care if people fish there or not. It's a public lake... Sharing is caring!

I thought personal attacks were not allowed in here? confused.gif

That's right fishinrebel, well said. Come on, everyone on here knows that if you tell someone of a hot bite there's gonna be a ton of ppl there, that's why ppl post the name of a lake. Believe it or not some ppl don't mind it when other ppl fish their lake. I'll admit it i'm pretty selfish w/ my honeyholes, but hey, if he doesn't mind sharing, have at it! I'm just really tired of ppl raggin on folks when they tell ppl about spots. He's right, it's a public lake. And it's a public site! I better stop now or i'm gonna get banned from the site

That's right fishinrebel, well said. Come on, everyone on here knows that if you tell someone of a hot bite there's gonna be a ton of ppl there, that's why ppl post the name of a lake. Believe it or not some ppl don't mind it when other ppl fish their lake. I'll admit it i'm pretty selfish w/ my honeyholes, but hey, if he doesn't mind sharing, have at it! I'm just really tired of ppl raggin on folks when they tell ppl about spots. He's right, it's a public lake. And it's a public site! I better stop now or i'm gonna get banned from the site

Location, Location, Location,...it's pretty important to catching big fish...but you'd still have to go and catch them...with a little luck and some mad fishing skills.

Very well put! Just because people know the lake...doesn't mean they'll know the spots. Most of the shoreline is private except for the parking/beach area. And most people fish the beach or the little shallow dock. A few casts...a few hours...they'll just leave the lake as another dead lake. So...if you know the lake....you wouldn't care if people wanted to try or know. Just don't give them that exact location to the drop off on the xxxx side, by the xxxx. wink.gifgrin.gif GL to all!

Quote:

Wow, did I just reveal your secret lake or something? LOL.. Nah, i dont care if people fish there or not. It's a public lake... Sharing is caring!

I thought personal attacks were not allowed in here?
confused.gif

No, not in any way was that intended as a personal attack (hence me saying "not to be a jerk or anything"). Furthermore, I've never fished that lake, and don't intend to in the near future. I was just trying to get the point across that if you have your own little "honey hole" that produces good fish, you might want to try to preserve it by not giving out such lofty fish sizes. Sharing lakes is fine and totally welcome, I'm just saying that when you give out too many details, you can attract a huge crowd, or the wrong crowd, depending on who reads about it.

Please don't think I was bashing you or anything of the sort, that wasn't my intent at all. Hopefully you catch a ton more nice fish there this year as well! Good Luck!

Ive had best luck on the shoreline with the steep break...

hey! that lake is polluted anyways, that's why you hardly see anybody fishing there! cool.gif

not only that,but the trout and salmon taste mushy out of there,unless you can get them ice fishing later in the season.

Quote:

not only that,but the trout and salmon taste mushy out of there,unless you can get them ice fishing later in the season.

You are joking right??? If so that is the lamest joke I have heard since, "why did the chicken cross the road?".

That lake is polluted, but I kinda doubt it is much worse than Phalen, Keller, or any of the other lakes in the area. I think the pollution problem is people throwing their pop cans and dorito bags in the lake more than a problem with mercury or E. coli.

Fish fertilizes the water too...not to mention the ammonia release either...then all those Canadian geese...

Yeah I stumbled upon this lake one day on my break from work. I was eating a sandwich at the picnic table and I asked some dudes fishing what they were catching. I personally don't think i'd ever fish this lake again. But IF, there are fish in there, I hope you guys slam em! Good luck!

This lake still has some occasional decent fish in it if your just looking to kill some time and have fun. Or take the kids potatoe chip fishing. But I rather would attempt to fish somewhere else if given the option. Again the biggest drawback for me on McCarron is the garbage.

Im surprise this little lake drew this much attention. It's nothing much at all be it at that.

I drove by this lake yesterday on my way to Vadnais. There was a giant white speed boat zooming around. Sort of a goofy site for such a small lake.

It's worse than phalen! I wouldn't eat any fish that comes out of it! Don't believe me, check with DNR! cool.gif

Actually, from DNR data, I would say Phalen is worse, or at best neither one of them is better than the other.

At McCarron it says one meal a week for Northern 20-25" and one a month for anything bigger. There is no data for Northern smaller than 20" or any other species.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/fca/report.html?downum=62005400

At Phalen it says one meal a week for walleye less than 15". There is no data for anything bigger or any other species.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/fca/report.html?downum=62001300

You would think, in the case of Phalen, that if the recommendation was one meal a week for 15" walleye, the recommendation for northern wouldn't be much better. And vise versa for McCarron.

Do you have a different source?

*I wouldn't eat anything out of either lake.*

I too am suprised McCarrons is getting this much attention. The lake doesnt get hit hard but is by no means a little gem.

As for eating fish. I dont keep many but Im not concerned about eating a meal of fish out of most metro lakes. They are by no means clean but they're not toxic waste dumps.

Can we just let this thread end. I think topic about fishing on McCarron is covered. smirk.gif