Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ted

Rapidan Dam

21 posts in this topic

Any tips on fishing it?

Sunday we went out and got about 12 Northern, 10 walleye, and a ton of catfish and carp just below the (Contact Us Please). Just lookin to have some fun. Any tips for location??

Where is the rapidan dam located? I went to look for it but couldnt find it the other day.

Straight west of the village of Rapidan about 3 miles or so.

From the sounds of it you don't need any tips

Quote:

Where is the rapidan dam located? I went to look for it but couldnt find it the other day.

Just west of the town like the other guy said.

On a side note, if anyone wants to go down there this weekend, let me know. I'll be off work Sunday, and around 5 on Saturday.

On a side note, I landed a 4 lb'er today too. I think i've got the lures figured out, but once this water warms up a bit more, i'll be completely clueless im sure.

I thought it was illegal to target game fish out of season?

It is!

LURES????? Unless you are targeting rough fish or panfish, I wouldn't be bragging about catching game fish! What's that number for the "Turn In Poachers" again grin.gif.

I thought it was illegal but some people just think they can do whatever they want with no regard for the rules. I can see accidently catching a walleye or northern out of season if you are fishing for crappies or rough fish as you say, but to talk about lure selection? These are the people who deserve to get caught and have their priveledges taken away for life!!!

For Ted...for the sake of clarification, the MN DNR regulations book states on Page 10

You may not intentionally fish for any species during its closed season.

This is illegal and you will get a ticket if caught. If you did not know the rules than I suggest you pick up a copy of the regulations. They are free at any sporting goods store.

here is the rule from the 2007 regs just in case someone wants to confirm the comments.

This is taken from page 10 of the regs.

Angling Methods

• You may not intentionally fish for any species during its closed season.

Hey Powerstroke, not trying to out do you, we sent the same info at the same time...

Bitz

At least reply to the party your "hoping gets banned from fishing for life"!! You have to be kidding me.?

I wasn't referring to anybody!! I am just sick and tired of people blatantly breaking the law and then bragging about it on a post. It is against the law period. I know it may seem a bit harsh, but I bet if that happened we wouldn't get people breaking the law anymore. Just my 2 cents. This kind of behavior just burns me up. There, I am done venting now.

I agree with you 100% on being tired of people breaking the rules ++++ posting about it. I also think some people honestly don't know all the rules. I know it's everyones responsibility to learn them, but forums like this are also a great tool to educate people who may of honestly not known. Just my 2 beans. Good luck on opener Walleyes4me.

Thanks Rozman. You have a good opener too. I apologize if I pee'd anyone off, but I take things like that very seriously. I agree that this site is a good informational tool. Good luck to everyone next weekend.

walleyes4me, let me retract my comment about at least replying to the person who was doing the no-no. I see you replied to him first, posing the question about the legalities of his fishing tactics. Sorry about that. tongue.gif

Its hard not to contain your emotions and thats why I gave the benefit of the doubt. This guy posted where he's fishing for these fish so if he's gotten a clue by now he won't be doing that again, and hopefully he's a bit wiser about the regs. We can't know all the regs all the time. Even the CO's carry around a list of the laws just to double check.

I didn't think Ted was bragging about breaking laws, only about his luck. Now he knows what he was doing is illegal we can only hope he stops.

Well said laugh.gif

Ditto.

Now that we have the legalities out of the way and bass season is opening at the end of the month. Are there smallies to be found below the Rapidan Dam? I've never fished that area. My waders still have a hole in the toe so I won't be sneaking out any time soon. I'd just like to plan ahead for the summer.